Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ridley Scott talks: Kingdom of Heaven [Director's cut]

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ridley Scott talks: Kingdom of Heaven [Director's cut]

Old 05-08-05, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the theatrical version the other day - great movie!

Looking forward to the DC when it comes out.
Old 05-08-05, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by bjlowe
I loved this movie and I seen it twice today, but I think he did the best thing by cutting it down and leaving those extra bits for the DVD, this will be a treat
I disagree that cutting the movie was a good decision (and it really wasn't his decision either). Sure, those of us who liked the theatrical cut will be even more pleased with the extended version, but the fact that it was cut in the first place hurt its overall reviews and killed any chance it might have had at getting nominated for some Oscars.
Old 05-08-05, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duder
I disagree that cutting the movie was a good decision (and it really wasn't his decision either). Sure, those of us who liked the theatrical cut will be even more pleased with the extended version, but the fact that it was cut in the first place hurt its overall reviews and killed any chance it might have had at getting nominated for some Oscars.
Never thought of it that way, but yeah. This is another example of when the studios and theaters need to butt out of the director's business and wants.
Old 05-08-05, 06:19 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed the theatrical cut, but it did seem choppy in places (notably the beggining, i.e. why did no one in the village love him and the priest want him to leave) so I can't wait for the extended cut.

Should really improve on an already very good film.
Old 05-09-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Yeah, Johnny Depp would have been much better.
???
Old 05-09-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts
From IMDB:

Green Slams Scott for Removing Her Sex Scenes
6 May 2005 (WENN)
Sexy actress Eva Green has slammed director Ridley Scott for removing most of the raunchy sex scene she had with screen hunk Orlando Bloom from new movie Kingdom of Heaven. Green enjoyed playing Bloom's lover Princess Sybilla in the film, but was devastated to discover Scott had deleted "the best bits" because he deemed them too shocking. She says, "It is a pity because we spent so long getting it just right. I didn't know how much had been cut until I went into the studio to record the soundtrack. It was a shock when I found out how much had gone, all of the best bits. But Orlando is sexy and gorgeous. What girl would not want to get naked with him? But he is not a seducer. He is very kind and careful and respects women."
Maybe these scenes will make the DC?

(Granted, after "The Dreamers," we've already seen every square inch of Eva Green's body, but I'd happily go back for a second helping. )
Old 05-09-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I really enjoyed the theatrical cut, but it did seem choppy in places (notably the beggining, i.e. why did no one in the village love him and the priest want him to leave) so I can't wait for the extended cut.

Should really improve on an already very good film.
I agree. I am looking forward to the dvd release!!
Old 05-09-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 439 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe these scenes will make the DC?

(Granted, after "The Dreamers," we've already seen every square inch of Eva Green's body, but I'd happily go back for a second helping. )
Me too, they are real and they are spectacular.

That said, I have no interest whatsoever in seeing the theatrical version so I'll wait for the extended, aka real version.
Old 05-09-05, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I'm still not sold on Orlando Bloom as leading actor, however...
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Yeah, Johnny Depp would have been much better.
???
A Pirates of the Caribbean reference.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 05-09-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-09-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That said, I have no interest whatsoever in seeing the theatrical version so I'll wait for the extended, aka real version.
But, even so extended, it's still going to be the same boring, glossy pageant populated by characters with a distinctly post-medieval weltanschauung. Sorry for the shameless employing of a usually unnecessary $20 word (was current in 20th century humanities courses, particularly comparitive religion/culture courses), but I'm trying to emphasize the disconnect between Ridley's bland, platitudinous pamphlet and something akin to historical accuracy here.

Hey, I'm all for liberal toleration and cosmopolitanism, but as a rule medieval crusaders weren't. Depicting a bit more accurately the barbarism, bloodshed, and faith-based detestation of the other might have added a whiff of historical accuracy and a bit of intellectual heft. And, properly dramatized, it would have made a much more compelling argument on behalf of liberal toleration and cosmopolitanism.
Old 05-12-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to take this to the pervo level, but does this mean Eva Green nudity? I haven't seen the theatrical cut but if the answer is "yes" I'm definitely interested.
Old 05-12-05, 09:45 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Depicting a bit more accurately the barbarism, bloodshed, and faith-based detestation of the other might have added a whiff of historical accuracy and a bit of intellectual heft. And, properly dramatized, it would have made a much more compelling argument on behalf of liberal toleration and cosmopolitanism.
I think they showed that pretty well with the queens husband's hatred of the muslims and marching out to war as soon as he got power, the raids on the caravans, etc.

Bloom was the contrast to that, and he got called a heretic when saying no one owned the city ect. before the big battle.

I'm not saying it's historically acurate by anymeans, but I really don't go into movies like this expecting a history lesson.
Old 05-13-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bloom is English ( Born in Kent )
Old 10-21-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts
update:
For you fans of Kingdom of Heaven today, in a recent interview with the Guardian Unlimited director Ridley Scott alluded to a future director's cut release of the film on DVD. You may recall that when I originally reviewed the film back in May, I said that a LOT of footage had been cut for the theatrical release - entire subplots were trimmed for time. Expect this director's cut to be released as a multi-disc set in 2006. The film will be some 45 minutes longer (and we hear MUCH better). Thanks to Bits reader Rezaul L. for the link. Watch for our review of the new theatrical edition DVD very soon.

THEDIGITALBITS.com
Old 10-21-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the theatrical verion that just came out and will trade it in and buy the extended version whenever it comes out. Just like I did for Gladiator! Woooo!
Old 10-21-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dadaluholla, what about all the different extras? They aren't interchangable.
Old 10-21-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm glad I'm waiting for this extended version. While I liked the cut I saw in the cinema, it felt like too much was missing so I couldn't warrant purchasing a copy.
Old 10-22-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad I'm waiting for this extended version. While I liked the cut I saw in the cinema, it felt like too much was missing so I couldn't warrant purchasing a copy.
I totally agree. I liked the movie but the editing was just horrible. Something was definitely missing. This is why I passed up the current release. I'll gladly pay top dollar for an uncut version of the film.
Old 10-22-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I too am waiting for the Director's cut.
Old 10-22-05, 09:35 AM
Retired

Waiting as well. As others said, it seemed like there was too much missing in the theatrical cut and as such I didn't enjoy it enough to warrant a purchase.
Old 12-30-05, 04:26 PM
Banned

Davisdvd.com is reporting that Scott completed the director's cut and it currently showing on the Laemmle Fairfax 3 Theater in Los Angeles. Here is the link:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html
Old 12-30-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So far the best offer of thetrical cut "R1" release, was the one I got from Walmart for $9.99 back in October.

Old 12-30-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

David Poland of MovieCityNews had Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut at #8 on his Best of 2005 list.

David Poland's Best of 2005
Old 01-13-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts
newer update:

1/13/06

Here's a little something for you fans of director Ridley Scott. As we reported last year, 20th Century Fox was planning to let Scott cut together a director's cut of his Kingdom of Heaven, with some 40+ minutes of footage restored to the edit. This has in fact happened, and the new director's cut was recently given a two week theatrical run at a theater here in Los Angeles. We've reported that this longer edit of the film would eventually be given its own DVD release, and now our industry sources are telling us that Fox is planning to make that happen in sometime in mid to late 2006. We'll bring you more details as things develop. FYI, we wouldn't be surprised to see this longer cut appear on high-definition Blu-ray Disc format as well as DVD before the year is out.

Stay tuned...
from THEDIGITALBITS
Old 01-13-06, 09:17 PM
En vacance

I always like director's Cuts, always superior to the theatrical cut-up ones.

AICN article on the director cut, nice insight.

Last edited by FRwL; 01-13-06 at 09:24 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.