DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Oy! Columbia! Stripes and Tears Of The Sun Extended Cuts Due June 7th! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/415734-oy-columbia-stripes-tears-sun-extended-cuts-due-june-7th.html)

Mao 03-25-05 09:32 AM

Oy! Columbia! Stripes and Tears Of The Sun Extended Cuts Due June 7th!

Details to follow on Monday, but Columbia is releasing "Stripes" (yes, "Stripes"!) in an extended edition and "Tears Of The Sun" in a Director's Extended Cut on June 7th.

Geofferson 03-25-05 09:37 AM

Cool! Interested in seeing both.

pilot 03-25-05 09:46 AM

Already own both, but I'll double dip probably.. thanks Mao :)

Dabaomb 03-25-05 10:11 AM

I'm glad that I held off on Stripes all these years. Thanks for the headsup Mao :up:

TomOpus 03-25-05 10:18 AM

More Razzzzzle Dazzzzzle... :banana:

Or maybe more John Candy mud-wrestling? :eyebrow:

Crow331 03-25-05 10:42 AM

Stripes EXTENDED CUT?????? Why in the hell would you have an extended cut so many "decades" later??? This movie is a classic the way it is!!! It's the GEORGE syndrome all over again!!! All I have to say is there better be some sort of branching because I want a better copy of the ORIGINAL! I don't think I'm going to like this idea one bit!

ruk 03-25-05 10:49 AM

man why tears of the sun, that was a good flick, i hate the double dip.

rdclark 03-25-05 10:58 AM

I love Stripes. All-time favorite. But it's hard to imagine that they shot stuff that was truly funny and then left it out of the film, so whatever the added material may be, it's unlikely to make the film funnier.

I'll rent it out of curiosity.

RichC

kar10 03-25-05 11:06 AM

tears of the sun is also coming out in Superbit.

jdpatri 03-25-05 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by rdclark
I love Stripes. All-time favorite. But it's hard to imagine that they shot stuff that was truly funny and then left it out of the film, so whatever the added material may be, it's unlikely to make the film funnier.

RichC

Dat's the fact, Jack!

Strange to release more footage now. Where have they been hiding it? For some reason an image of Christopher Walken comes to mind. But that may be because I need more cow bell... and not because of Pulp Fiction.

fryinpan1 03-25-05 11:59 AM

I am glad I held off buying the current version of Stripes. I need to get that for my Bill Murray collection.

I really liked Tears of the Sun, but unless the extended version has real value, I may keep the current version.

Sessa17 03-25-05 12:05 PM

I hope the extended cut of Stripes is an extended first half, b/c the second half of the movie is one of the biggest collapses in movie history IMO. For a little less than half the movie it's one of the greatest comedies ever, & then it just falls apart. I still can't wait for it though, I traded in my barebones DVD a while ago when I first heard the rumor of this.

Tears of the Sun I think is just a terrible film.

Jim 03-25-05 12:17 PM

I wonder how an extended version of Stripes will be? The original is almost like 2 different movies as is. As others have said, the first part is incredibly funny and the 2nd half is nowhere near as good.

Is the Tears of The Sun Superbit coming out at the same time? I expected it would come out sometime since it's already available at koreandvds.com.

natevines 03-25-05 12:18 PM

I thought Tears of the Sun sucked, but clearly you guys disagree. Anyhow, maybe this cut will make it a bit better.

chileorgullo 03-25-05 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I am glad I held off buying the current version of Stripes. I need to get that for my Bill Murray collection.

What's in it now, if I can ask?

Lokimok 03-25-05 12:58 PM

Interesting news. The Stripes Special Edition has been a long time coming.

Does anyone remember any additional scenes in the tv cut? I haven't seen it since the eighties, but I only remember alternate scenes, not extra ones. For example, all the scenes in the bar were alternate takes where the women had tops. Another was at the very beginning when Harold Ramis is teaching English as a second language. In the old tv cut, Ramis says something like, "how many of you would say you speak English fairly well, but with some difficulty?" No response from class. "No English whatsoever?" Blank stares from students. Then he waves & says "hellooo?" The whole class says "hello" back. In the real movie, a guy stands up & says, "son of bitch! Shit!"

JimRochester 03-25-05 01:00 PM

Stripes is one of my all time favorites. I too have trouble believing that much quality material exists and is only coming to light now. Tears of the Sun was horrible so I know I won't be getting that.

He said black guys, help the white guys

We're in Germany so you have to make my bunk

Big Worms 03-25-05 02:48 PM

Man it sure is getting tough with all of this double dipping going on. I have both but I guess will wait and see what is on them before making up my mind on getting them.

fryinpan1 03-25-05 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
What's in it now, if I can ask?

See my sig ;)

Mike Lowrey 03-25-05 06:22 PM

With regards to "Stripes", was there ever a TV version that had more footage? I know there were several '80s movies that had more footage in them when they ran on TV. Police Academy 6 had some, as did 2 as well, I believe.

With Tears of the Sun, more footage could only make it better. I thought they had a great premise with the story, but I felt it was a bit rushed. Liked to see more jungle combat.

island007 03-25-05 09:57 PM

I could go for more Monica Bellucci. :drool:

dsa_shea 03-25-05 10:22 PM

I've heard that Stripes will have several minutes of deleted scenes reincorporated into the movie. Harold Ramis has said before that with all of the added scenes that the movie will be quite a bit different than the version that we are all used to. If I'm not mistaken there is something like 30-45 minutes of footage that was cut that will somehow be used. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

Mike Lowrey 03-25-05 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I've heard that Stripes will have several minutes of deleted scenes reincorporated into the movie. Harold Ramis has said before that with all of the added scenes that the movie will be quite a bit different than the version that we are all used to. If I'm not mistaken there is something like 30-45 minutes of footage that was cut that will somehow be used. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

So I guess it's safe to say that we could call this "Stripes - The Reconstruction". ;)

dsa_shea 03-25-05 11:16 PM

I'm trying to do a search for the interview in which these deleted scenes were discussed. If I can find it I'll post the link.

D.Zero 03-25-05 11:16 PM

I'll be curious to see what goes in although I do believe in the Woody Allen school of comedy where less is more. I picked up Stripes used so a double dip would not kill me.....still, I wish somebody would get a first release of Murray's Quick Change.

dsa_shea 03-25-05 11:21 PM

Quick Change definitely needs a dvd release.

chileorgullo 03-25-05 11:40 PM

See my sig ;)

Find. Meatballs. Now.

cruzness 03-25-05 11:44 PM

I may double dip for Stripes since the current release is pretty lackluster.

QuikSilver 03-26-05 01:36 AM

Yet again Columbia is milking the customers for all their money. I wish they could get it right the first time. How many different versions of the same movie do we really need? Sheesh.

chileorgullo 03-26-05 11:39 AM

has the original gone OOP?

Michael Corvin 03-26-05 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I hope the extended cut of Stripes is an extended first half, b/c the second half of the movie is one of the biggest collapses in movie history IMO. For a little less than half the movie it's one of the greatest comedies ever, & then it just falls apart. I still can't wait for it though, I traded in my barebones DVD a while ago when I first heard the rumor of this.

I agree. I still think it is one of the greatest comedies of all time. The first half is so solid it makes up for the dismal second half.

thelwig14 03-26-05 11:11 PM

After watching Stripes for the first time a few months ago (and having no nostalgic bias), I could not get past the second half collapse. I hope this edition improves on the second half or adds more to the first half.

dsa_shea 03-27-05 01:01 PM

Supposedly the new footage will make it like a new movie.

Mr. Cinema 03-27-05 08:45 PM

What we really need is a SPECIAL EDITION of "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

fryinpan1 03-28-05 07:54 AM

cover art for Stripes (cover below confirms the addition of eighteen extra minutes, including six deleted scenes):
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...6244&n=1&burl=

cover art for Tears of the Sun:
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...6243&n=1&burl=

ruk 03-28-05 08:47 AM

cool, thanks.

majorjoe23 03-28-05 11:36 AM

Sometimes I wish Stripes had ended right after Bill Murray yelled "ARMY TRAINING, SIR!"

Mike Lowrey 03-28-05 12:55 PM

Sweet cover-art for Tears.

Ironically I submitted this title to DVDAficionado over the weekend with a comment saying that it wasn't technically announced yet, and it was not approved. So I go there this morning to check my "past requests" and what do you know...it's suddenly approved.

Nesbit 03-28-05 01:04 PM

Yeah I don't own Stripes because of the second half. I'll have to check this out.

Peep 03-28-05 01:15 PM

Hope you can still see the original cut on the same release. Seamless branching?