Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Oy! Columbia! Stripes and Tears Of The Sun Extended Cuts Due June 7th!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-25-05, 10:32 AM
Mao

Details to follow on Monday, but Columbia is releasing "Stripes" (yes, "Stripes"!) in an extended edition and "Tears Of The Sun" in a Director's Extended Cut on June 7th.
Old 03-25-05, 10:37 AM

Cool! Interested in seeing both.
Old 03-25-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Already own both, but I'll double dip probably.. thanks Mao
Old 03-25-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad that I held off on Stripes all these years. Thanks for the headsup Mao
Old 03-25-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More Razzzzzle Dazzzzzle...

Or maybe more John Candy mud-wrestling?
Old 03-25-05, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Stripes EXTENDED CUT?????? Why in the hell would you have an extended cut so many "decades" later??? This movie is a classic the way it is!!! It's the GEORGE syndrome all over again!!! All I have to say is there better be some sort of branching because I want a better copy of the ORIGINAL! I don't think I'm going to like this idea one bit!
Old 03-25-05, 11:49 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

man why tears of the sun, that was a good flick, i hate the double dip.
Old 03-25-05, 11:58 AM

I love Stripes. All-time favorite. But it's hard to imagine that they shot stuff that was truly funny and then left it out of the film, so whatever the added material may be, it's unlikely to make the film funnier.

I'll rent it out of curiosity.

RichC
Old 03-25-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

tears of the sun is also coming out in Superbit.
Old 03-25-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rdclark
I love Stripes. All-time favorite. But it's hard to imagine that they shot stuff that was truly funny and then left it out of the film, so whatever the added material may be, it's unlikely to make the film funnier.

RichC
Dat's the fact, Jack!

Strange to release more footage now. Where have they been hiding it? For some reason an image of Christopher Walken comes to mind. But that may be because I need more cow bell... and not because of Pulp Fiction.
Old 03-25-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am glad I held off buying the current version of Stripes. I need to get that for my Bill Murray collection.

I really liked Tears of the Sun, but unless the extended version has real value, I may keep the current version.
Old 03-25-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope the extended cut of Stripes is an extended first half, b/c the second half of the movie is one of the biggest collapses in movie history IMO. For a little less than half the movie it's one of the greatest comedies ever, & then it just falls apart. I still can't wait for it though, I traded in my barebones DVD a while ago when I first heard the rumor of this.

Tears of the Sun I think is just a terrible film.
Old 03-25-05, 01:17 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder how an extended version of Stripes will be? The original is almost like 2 different movies as is. As others have said, the first part is incredibly funny and the 2nd half is nowhere near as good.

Is the Tears of The Sun Superbit coming out at the same time? I expected it would come out sometime since it's already available at koreandvds.com.
Old 03-25-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Tears of the Sun sucked, but clearly you guys disagree. Anyhow, maybe this cut will make it a bit better.
Old 03-25-05, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I am glad I held off buying the current version of Stripes. I need to get that for my Bill Murray collection.
What's in it now, if I can ask?
Old 03-25-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting news. The Stripes Special Edition has been a long time coming.

Does anyone remember any additional scenes in the tv cut? I haven't seen it since the eighties, but I only remember alternate scenes, not extra ones. For example, all the scenes in the bar were alternate takes where the women had tops. Another was at the very beginning when Harold Ramis is teaching English as a second language. In the old tv cut, Ramis says something like, "how many of you would say you speak English fairly well, but with some difficulty?" No response from class. "No English whatsoever?" Blank stares from students. Then he waves & says "hellooo?" The whole class says "hello" back. In the real movie, a guy stands up & says, "son of bitch! Shit!"
Old 03-25-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stripes is one of my all time favorites. I too have trouble believing that much quality material exists and is only coming to light now. Tears of the Sun was horrible so I know I won't be getting that.

He said black guys, help the white guys

We're in Germany so you have to make my bunk
Old 03-25-05, 03:48 PM

Man it sure is getting tough with all of this double dipping going on. I have both but I guess will wait and see what is on them before making up my mind on getting them.
Old 03-25-05, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
What's in it now, if I can ask?
See my sig
Old 03-25-05, 07:22 PM
Banned

With regards to "Stripes", was there ever a TV version that had more footage? I know there were several '80s movies that had more footage in them when they ran on TV. Police Academy 6 had some, as did 2 as well, I believe.

With Tears of the Sun, more footage could only make it better. I thought they had a great premise with the story, but I felt it was a bit rushed. Liked to see more jungle combat.
Old 03-25-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I could go for more Monica Bellucci.
Old 03-25-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard that Stripes will have several minutes of deleted scenes reincorporated into the movie. Harold Ramis has said before that with all of the added scenes that the movie will be quite a bit different than the version that we are all used to. If I'm not mistaken there is something like 30-45 minutes of footage that was cut that will somehow be used. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
Old 03-25-05, 11:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I've heard that Stripes will have several minutes of deleted scenes reincorporated into the movie. Harold Ramis has said before that with all of the added scenes that the movie will be quite a bit different than the version that we are all used to. If I'm not mistaken there is something like 30-45 minutes of footage that was cut that will somehow be used. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
So I guess it's safe to say that we could call this "Stripes - The Reconstruction".
Old 03-26-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trying to do a search for the interview in which these deleted scenes were discussed. If I can find it I'll post the link.
Old 03-26-05, 12:16 AM

I'll be curious to see what goes in although I do believe in the Woody Allen school of comedy where less is more. I picked up Stripes used so a double dip would not kill me.....still, I wish somebody would get a first release of Murray's Quick Change.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.