Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Free Enterprise SE 03.07.06 (?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from the bits

Also today, our old friend Robert Burnett has let us know that his long-awaited Free Enterprise: Extended "Five Year Mission" Edition will finally be released by Anchor Bay on 3/7. The 2-disc set will feature the film in a new Divimax anamorphic widescreen transfer with 6 minutes of added footage. Audio will be included in Dolby Digital 5.1. Extras on Disc One will include two new commentary tracks (the first with writer/producer Mark A. Altman and director Burnett, and the second with stars William Shatner, Eric McCormack and Rafer Weigel along with Burnett). Disc Two will add the now 20-minute longer documentary, Where No Fan Has Gone Before: Making Free Enterprise - The Atavachron Edition, featuring never-before-seen deleted scenes, extended takes, bloopers and interview material. Additional extras will include still more deleted scenes and the unaired television pilot Cafe Fantastique. You'll also get a 10-page booklet of liner notes.
Old 01-17-06, 05:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why didn't they do this the first time around?

Yeah I'll probably double dip again (just answered my own question).
Old 01-17-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well to be fair, the old dvd came out in 1999...thats seven years ago now... I think that is ample time for a second version to come with special features in full effect
Old 01-17-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll definitely double-dip. I love this movie. And as Cameron pointed out, it's been over 6 years since I picked up the previous DVD, so I can hardly fault Anchor Bay for releasing a new version. Plus, this one's anamorphic with 5.1 audio.

I just hope that trivia track is carried over to the new disc.
Old 01-18-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts
Renew!
Old 01-18-06, 02:06 PM

This was one of my very early DVD purchases in Nov. of 1999. I've only watched it two or three times, so I'm not sure I'll double-dip, but an anamorphic transfer would be nice.

"Almost there! Stay on target."
Old 02-27-06, 07:35 PM
Banned

I don't think its bad that they waited 9 years for the 2nd version. What kills me is these days they wait a year or two and do a editors cut or a box set. That just really makes me mad.

So yeah i'll double dip.

Last edited by CodeRed10; 03-12-06 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-28-06, 04:54 AM

I know this isn't DVD related, but they have a sequel coming...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353467/
Old 02-28-06, 11:10 AM
Banned

Hmm a Sequel is coming. Does that mean a "box set"? Eh don't think I could wait though. Those extras are a must see now!

"Deleted Scenes. Over a ½ hour of newly discovered deleted scenes including bonus easter eggs."
Old 03-04-06, 06:39 PM

I have to agree, largely because I pre-ordered it. The bonus features on this are outstanding looking. I am hoping for some extended logan's run dream sequence scenes and some extra shatner raps!
Old 03-04-06, 06:46 PM

I will def. be getting the DVD, I didn't pick up the original, so don't have the double dipping frustration, but have to say the commentary by the actors is something I'm intrigued to hear.

Shatner is SOOOoooooo funny on Boston Legal that I want to hear what he has to say about the movie!

And the bloopers! I love seeing the actors in those unguarded out of character moments... I can't wait to pick this up!

_____

Last edited by KathyBrowncoat; 03-27-06 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-05-06, 06:22 PM
Banned

I am looking forward to seeing the deleted sceens and the music video. Had no clue they made a video. I wonder what the "eggs" will be like?
Old 03-07-06, 12:03 AM

Got mine in the mail today. First, kudos to DDD. I ordered this several months ago at $11.99 and then the release was severely delayed and they cancelled my order. I called them up and told them I want this movie whenever it comes out and asked that they honor the $11.99 price I had ordered it for. Several months later when the preorder came out I called them up, and sure enough, they checked their files and verified the promise to sell it to me for $11.99 - so that's what I ended up paying.

Haven't watched it all yet..but started on the 2 commentaries (the writer/directors & the actors/including Shatner)..both are excellent..I kept switching between them - fun stuff - this is a really great movie. And it really looks loaded with extras. Evidently the movies longer now too.

My one disappoitnment though: I had heard the earlier version (the 2nd?) of this had a subtitle track of popcultural references. Seems they did away with it on this version. Bummer. It sounded like that would be pretty cool..especially when watching this with a less SF-initiated friend!
Old 03-07-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

picked up my Bestbuy exclusive edition this morning for $15.99. they only had 4 copies on the shelves. can't wait to watch it again tonight.
Old 03-07-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was unaware there was an exclusive edition at Best Buy. What does it come with?
Old 03-07-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

see here.

Best Buy Exclusive! Best Buy is the only place you can get Free Enterprise (Special Edition) with two exclusive bonus featurettes: "Sneak Peek at Free Enterprise 2: The Search for Shatner" and "Our Favorite Trek Episodes"!

Last edited by darmok; 03-07-06 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool,

I'm nowhere near a best buy so i placed an order online for in store pick up. Do you know if the extra features come on a separate disc (card board sleeve)?
Old 03-08-06, 05:04 PM

I ordered it straight from anchor bay. It is a two disc set so the extra features are likely to be on the second disc. That is usually how these things go.
Old 03-08-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I was talking about the "exclusive" features that Best Buy has. They are on the second disc.

The sneak peak is really just the director talking about the script. No actual footage is shown. Was a little bummed about that.
Old 03-09-06, 01:06 PM

i am very interested in seing the film now with all of the deleted scenes that were cut & see how it looks & feels this time out.. also that foil card is quite nice looking.. but wow they have jampacked this with alot of bonus features.. i was cracking up at shatner thruout the film, just seeing him mocking hisself was quite funny
Old 03-10-06, 03:11 PM

Even though this DVD has the kinds of background features that you will usually find on many other DVDs, the stands out with this DVD is that all of them are not only interesting, but also amusing. Even with the ‘making of’ documentary running at just under an hour, it is both self-deprecating and humorous.