Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone prefer inserts to slipcases?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I really hate slip covers, mostly because they are NOT shrinkwrapped so I gotta go on a easter egg hunt to find one that is not either dented, scratched or full of that store's stickers. Blah!
Old 03-21-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like both. Appreciate how slipcases help dress up Amaray cases. But don't have a handle on how it's determined which release gets one and which doesn't. Seems fairly arbitrary. Garfield gets one. Why? Spider-Man 2 gets one. More like it. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban should have been given one. Can't understand why it wasn't. Big name movie, and it would have looked so much better next to the previous two, which were oversized Digipaks.

But I understand what Dean Kousoulas says, too. I'm extremely particular in my selection of a DVD, and when a slipcase is involved, a little more effort is required to find a mint condition copy. Finding an Amaray case in mint condition isn't too difficult, but slipcases, being cardboard as they are, often have has some imperfection marring them.

As for inserts, DVD cases are feeling empty without them. Shrek 2 had none. So DreamWorks is probably dropping them. Sounds like Paramount is, too. None of the newer Star Trek SCE releases have them. Are they so hard to make? Are studios just getting lazy? What's the deal? I would take such joy in the creation of those things. I would take such joy in the creation of a product that was as nice as it could be, giving the consumer as many supplements as I could. Too idealistic of me?

--THX
Old 03-21-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I could care less if a booklet comes with a movie. I'll watch the movie alot more than I'd read a booklet that has 2 pages of "notes".
i agree with that....BUT, what pisses me off is when i don't get at least a Chapter Insert, since i find those very useful.
Old 03-21-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like inserts. They make the inside of the case look more welcoming, if that makes sense.

Slipcovers I can do without. Every DVD and its mother has a slipcase now. Hey, The Grudge and The Forgotten have slipcases, they must be classics! Gotta catch 'em all!

I suppose that slipcovers are hard to reproduce, so they're a nice hurdle for bootleggers, but really, does the average bootleg buyer care about a slipcase?

As for the security measures - they should just scan the barcode on the back of the amaray case, not the slipcase, if that's so big a problem... what amaray case doesn't have the title across the top anyway?
Old 03-21-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Id take both but prefer inserts/booklets over slipcovers. It just looks empty when i open a case and see one side w/ nothing. The slipcover just gets in the way. if the slipcover is part of the artwork like some dvd's have done, thats cool. When its just a reprint of what undernearth, whoopty doo.
Old 03-21-05, 11:30 PM

the absence of inserts lately has made purchasing of the blockbuster cheapos much easier lately. now if we can just do something about those heavy duty cases
Old 03-22-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i likes 'em both. but as everyone said a chapter stop sheet does little for me. i actually like the slipcover since i don't have to access the dvds (they're all in my megachangers)
Old 03-22-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Slipcovers were cool when it was for a real special edition of a great movie like the T2 editions... but now that every single dvd comes with it, it seems dorky- exactly what happened to the words "Special Edition" when they began to slap them on every crappy disk they released.