DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Anyone prefer inserts to slipcases? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/414204-anyone-prefer-inserts-slipcases.html)

PopcornTreeCt 03-14-05 11:30 PM

Anyone prefer inserts to slipcases?

I got the 2-disc Heat the other day and while the slipcase is nice and shiny I was pretty disappointed by the lack of an insert. I would gladly trade the shiny slipcase for an insert instead.

jpdude 03-14-05 11:31 PM

I want both ;)

xfilekr 03-14-05 11:32 PM

Yep, I'd rather have inserts. Most of the time I put the slipcases in the closet because I'd rather just have the cases on the shelf.

ams 03-15-05 12:16 AM

I guess that depends. I would rather have a booklett with more info on the film, as well as pictures...but a simple list of chapters does very little for me.

If the slipcover is different artwork than the cover art, then that is better than chapter list insert, but not a booklet.

Are you still following me?

1.) booklett insert
2.)unique artwork slipcover
3.)chapter list insert
4.)redundant slipcover

Like I said: I guess it depends.

gfoots 03-15-05 12:23 AM

I think slipcases are mostly a security feaure to keep shoplifters from opening cases with razors and stealing the disc inside. So it isn't really a trade of slipcase or insert.

NatrlBornThrllr 03-15-05 12:25 AM

Yeah, because what thief has the time to slide a sealed DVD out of it's slipcase?

-JP

Dabaomb 03-15-05 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by jpdude
I want both ;)

same here :p

asianxcore 03-15-05 12:35 AM

depends. most of the time I would rather have inserts, because a lot of the major studios make slipcases that get dinged/messed up too easily. at the same time I like the slipcase that comes with the 2 disc French version of Haute Tension, it's a little more sturdy.

fumanstan 03-15-05 12:39 AM

I want both too. But like was mentioned, a booklet insert would be preferred if i had to choose, with a nice short article about the film, artwork, chapter listings, etc. But if it were a single chaper listing, i'd rather have a slick slipcover like I,Robot or Saw.

feral125 03-15-05 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by gfoots
I think slipcases are mostly a security feaure to keep shoplifters from opening cases with razors and stealing the disc inside. So it isn't really a trade of slipcase or insert.

Then why aren't the slip cases shrink wrapped. I think both are just a waste of paper.

Cameron 03-15-05 08:18 AM

saw started shipping with its slipcover shrink wrapped this week...its a theft deterent for sure...but thieves steal anyways....

Dabaomb 03-15-05 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by feral125
Then why aren't the slip cases shrink wrapped. I think both are just a waste of paper.

shrinkwrapping the slipcase tends to mess up the corners of the slipcase. I saw this with Metallica Some Kind of Monster.

ianholm 03-15-05 10:25 AM

Give me the inserts. At least they're useful in the fact that you don't have to wade through endless animations to view the chapter lists from the menus.

Joshua B 03-15-05 10:58 AM

I don't hear this type of storage mentioned much on DVD forums anymore, but when I first started buying DVDs I threw away the boxes and transferred the discs and inserts to a DVD book (with clear plastic sleeves). To me that would have been the main reason for needing inserts. These days, I do feel that the boxes are naked without inserts, especially when the plastic box has molded clips specifically there for holding the insert, but now it doesn't directly affect my DVD storage (since now I keep everything instead of using the DVD books).

darkhawk 03-15-05 11:23 AM

Since the inserts only have chapter searches, I don't care if I had it or not. If it were the little booklet like they used to do, then maybe. As for the slipcases, I don't have any use for them. I only kept a few that looked good, like The Usual Suspects.

Johnny Zhivago 03-15-05 11:42 AM

:wave: Yes.

I posted my bitch about this in the WB two-disc thread... Heat, The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby all come with slipcases (with the <i>same</i> cover art) but no inserts.

Dacoops3 03-15-05 11:46 AM

I would take the insert over the slipcover any day of the week. Like other posts, I just take the slipcover and throw it in a big box with all of the other slipcovers and put the DVD on the shelf without the slipcover.

slop101 03-15-05 01:18 PM

Slipcases are retarded for security measures, since you can take, say, a $30 dvd and slip it easily into a slipcase with a $10 price tag. I've heard of people doing this and it sickens me. Juse give us a nice insert ala Criterion.

TheNightFlier 03-15-05 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Slipcases are retarded for security measures, since you can take, say, a $30 dvd and slip it easily into a slipcase with a $10 price tag. I've heard of people doing this and it sickens me. Juse give us a nice insert ala Criterion.

Saw somebody get caught in Best Buy doing this today.

I'd rather have the insert.

Dabaomb 03-15-05 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Saw somebody get caught in Best Buy doing this today.

I'd rather have the insert.

I wonder what they did to the guy. If they have him on camera doing it, they can arrest him I'm guessing. If not, then he could say that he picked it up like that.

bboisvert 03-15-05 02:06 PM

Inserts > Slipcases

kornboy 03-15-05 02:39 PM

I like both personally..

gutwrencher 03-15-05 04:05 PM

I prefer an insert...if the insert is more than a one-sheet chapter stop, which I find worthless. If it's not at least a 2-page foldout or booklet of info....I prefer they leave the inside empty, as I make my own "info-booklets" to fill all the dead space.

I like most of the slipcovers too. I'm a little pissed that because I buy the box set....I get no slipcovers.

Jesus, building a library is a tuff job.

chileorgullo 03-15-05 04:18 PM

inserts > slipcases
inserts BUY THESE COLUMBIA TITLES < slipcases

Mr. Cinema 03-15-05 05:22 PM

Slipcases. At least they provide some protection to your dvds while they are on the shelf together. Plus, I could care less if a booklet comes with a movie. I'll watch the movie alot more than I'd read a booklet that has 2 pages of "notes".