Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Loaned out box set and booklet did not come back. What would you do?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Loaned out box set and booklet did not come back. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
PITA? = Pain In The Ass?
Old 03-12-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Here is the real question:

Why would you let "a co-worker that I don't see that often" borrow such a set?

I'd bring it up, and try my best to guilt the moron into at least offering you something in return.
I have trouble just letting my 18 year old daughter take a dvd to her room. With the exception of those family members living within my home, I will not loan any dvd to anyone else. Conservative yes, but acquiring a nice dvd collection costs a small fortune. No one will ever appreciate the dvds you acquire as much as you do (except thieves of course). Since my dvd collection may be the single largest asset I possess besides my home (and I imagine others on this board will agree), I guard it the same. Good luck in getting the booklet back.
Old 03-12-05, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
PITA? = Pain In The Ass?
Yes.
Old 03-12-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A good friend of mine goes out of his way to let people at work borrow his DVDs for free, but he doesn't "advertise" instead just letting people find out about it via word of mouth. He has his dvdprofiler URL on the white board in his office and lets anyone in the building request any DVD from his list of over 3000 titles. He routinely brings in recent acquisitions and puts them on a shelf in his office. He has a check-out system like a school library, with a "sign-out" card in each case and it runs on the honor system that anyone can drop by and check-out and return a DVD even if he isn't in. Over the last two years, he's probably had more than 1000 dvd "rentals." Of that, he has had only one disc lost and only minor scratching -- the worst he had happen was one guy got extremely aromatic pizza grease on an insert and return it without apology - my friend noticed it because his office started smelling like pizza.

He does not lend out anything with cardboard packaging or collectible items, instead he always repackages discs from fancy box sets into plain black multiple-disc keepcases, though he will often use things like booklets as stand-ins for cover-side inserts.

The place is very white-collar, mostly responsible engineers (all hold security clearances) of one sort or another who tend to be conscientious detail freaks anyway which probably accounts for the very few problems he's had. His attitude about the few problems he's had so far is that with so many people borrowing his stuff, there are bound to be a few accidents and that people are generally good, if occasionally careless. and if they can not fix it (like that one lost disc) an apology and promise to take better care next time is good enough.
Old 03-12-05, 02:57 PM
Banned

The only set, DVD for that matter, that I ever lent out was my Band of Brothers set to my sister, so that she and her boyfriend could watch them, and that about killed me. Luckily I got the set back with no problems after quite a while because they took forever to watch the damn thing, as they wanted to watch it together and couldn't always get together with work and all.

Since then, they've bought their own set.

Ironic thing is that my soon to be 28 year old sister is the one who requested the set to watch. She was a big SPR fan as well, even has the movie poster in her apartment. Was really disappointed when it didn't win Best Picture. And it was her 39 year old boyfriend who bought the set for her. This boyfriend can be seen in Tractor Supply Company catalogs modeling clothing from time to time.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-12-05 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-12-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Confront him. Take him to his house and find it. This works every time. That is, you either find it, or your point is made very forcefully with no criminal issues.
Old 03-12-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dabaomb
sorry for your loss. Mrs. Pusser would not be happy

She's never really seen SCTV. Guess she's not perfect after all.
Old 03-12-05, 03:21 PM

Id ask him about it, but more than likely you are hosed. IF you collection is important to you, as is the condition of disks and packaging, then you dont lend, period. IF you are a casual dvd person, then its probably no big deal.

Since it seems like your collection is important to you, you learned the hard way unfortunately. When people ask in the future, just conveniently forget to bring them in, eventually they just wont ask anymore.

People treat movies as casual entertainment, hence they treat them casually, especially when it is not theirs.
Old 03-12-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matome
Let them join Netflix or Blockbuster.

I sent him a link for a free month of Netflix the day before he returned it.

As far as sleeping w/his wife and daughter-he has no children. His wife is fairly hot (teaches Pilates for what that's worth) but she's not that friendly so I'm not attracted to her.

There's one guy at work that used to let people borrow DVDs but he stopped doing it when they didn't return them in a timely manner.

Another guy tapes (pre-DVD) everything and I've borrowed his Larry Sanders tapes to watch the whole run of the show.
Old 03-12-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by talemyn
Dangit, BTP!! I made you that bat-carrying smiley for a reason . . . NOW USE IT!!!!
DOH!

Sorry. I've been lazy lately.

BTW, I don't think the icon will hurt him too much.
Old 03-12-05, 03:47 PM

shoot the bloody bastard - twice
Old 03-12-05, 03:52 PM

When I was in Jr. High I learned the lesson about loaning things out. I once had a friend who was very smart & liked to read a lot, as did I. So I lent her a hard cover book with a paper book jacket on it. I had always kept my books in great condition & this one was no exception. Well I got it back a couple of weeks letter & the paper cover was practically falling off. It turns out that she would carry books around in her bookbag the entire time she had them, ruining the covers. I also had a friend borrow & ruin my clothing around that time. So now I never loan anything important out, unless it's basically worthless. Aside from lending things to my sister, who I trust. For instance I lent a couple of videos out to my nieces last summer (that only cost $1 a piece at the flea market). I didn't get them back for months & I only got them back because I asked. Plus they had let there little brothers watch them which irked me because I told the girls not to. The movies were R rated & the girls are teenagers, but the boys are 10 & 11 & act really immateur. But like I said I really wasn't that worried about getting them back, since I was just going to resell them for a little more at the flea market later.
Old 03-12-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is why when I let friends borrow DVDs, I put them in CD wallets, and do not lend out the case.
Old 03-12-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
DOH!

Sorry. I've been lazy lately.

BTW, I don't think the icon will hurt him too much.
Maybe not a normal smiley, but a "talemyn smiley" is special. Give him the "angry" one . . . that ought to do it.

As for a real answer . . . just ask him about it. Say something like, "Hey, I noticed that the booklet that comes with the set isn't in the box. Did you still have it?"

Polite . . . harmless . . . non-confrontational . . .
Old 03-12-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make him watch "The Village".
Old 03-12-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Borrowings in my past:

In high school I let someone borrow some record albums. The kid took me to his basement where he had about fifty albums strewn on the concrete floor NOT in their sleeves.

A co-worker needed to borrow the booklet with a cd box set for research. So I said yes. He decided to copy pages from it and flattened the flimsy spine so the pages were falling out.

Videos and DVDS-never had a problem before this.

Also: three of the corners of the SCTV box have a tiny bit of color rubbed off.

bonus points for those who notice talemyn's variations.
Old 03-12-05, 04:32 PM

I will never lend out DVD's again. One of most cherished DVD's was never given back to me after a lone. It was Battle Angel Atila and I told the guy I loned it to with some other DVD's to please take care of it. I didnt even want to lend it out but he kept bugging. I didnt hear from the guy for weeks then he brought back everyone but that one saying he loned it out and couldnt get it back. I ended the friendship over it. That was some two years ago and just recently I tried to replace it and was shocked to see the damn thing selling for like $200 on Ebay and Amazon. All I am left with is the damn case. Never again.
Old 03-12-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ahab
Sounds like great advice if you want to make matters worse.
Unless this guys co-workers are as much into dvd's and collecting them as he is, he will probably just sound to them like a PITA-crybaby.
As others have already wisely suggested, chalk this one up to experience.
Why do they have to be into DVD's? If I heard someone only returned part of what was loaned to him and lost the rest, I wouldn't loan him anything at all. It wouldn't be limited to DVD's.
Old 03-12-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im reading about efforts people go to to minimize loan out damage, putting discs in special cases and keeping the original artwork at home while the disc is loaned out and the likes. Why?? Just keep your stuff at home and tell people no! You bought it...its your stuff. Youre under no obligation to loan it out, let alone do special things to protect it. If they don't like it, too bad.
Old 03-12-05, 08:03 PM

I only "loan" to my brother's family. If they don't return it within a reasonable time I simply go to their house & get the title(s) in question.
Old 03-12-05, 08:13 PM
Banned

I used to have a pretty extensive library of recorded movies on VHS recorded in SLP. You know, about 3 movies per tape on a T-120, or 4 on a T-160. I used to loan these out fairly regularly to some of my dad's co-workers at his small office. Government office, so the people there were pretty good with them. Always seemed to get them back...eventually, but no damage detected.

Once I got into heavily collecting store-bought VHS, I had a copy of the 2-tape Patton. Loaned it to one of our friends kids. He begged and begged for it. Got the thing back and the whole tape had a crease down the center of the tape. It was unwatchable. Lots of sound static and jittery picture through-out. Totally ruined. Pissed me off. Ironically, later on, I bought the FOX WS clamshell version of it.

I also had a copy of Blade WS VHS. Loaned it to my cousin. He had it forever. Like someone else mentioned, he totally forgot he had it. Had him look for it and return it. He found it...in his trunk! Well, his trunk was not only an oven during the summer, but it also leaked water. Well, needless to say, the tape was melted and the cardboard slipcase for it was ruined due to water damage. Had them buy me a new one. Surprise...the replacement was a FS version. Well, I had them return it and they somehow found another WS copy.

Ironically, it wasn't long after that when I converted to DVD.
Old 03-12-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a lot of irony.

The AquaBats have a fun song called CD Repo Man. They should do a new version for DVD.

CD Repo Man

[Chorus]
CD Repo Man
He can go where I can't go
CD Repo Man
He'll infiltrate your stereo
CD Repo Man
He'll sneak up around the back
CD Repo Man
He'll get your CDs back

Some people who seem to
Call themselves my friends
Take my CDs
Then they all pretend
That they lost my music
But I've got a plan
To find the nearest pay phone and
call the Repo Man

[Chorus]

When CD Repo Man
That guy is on a roll
He'll jump through windows
To get back what the suckers stole
He looks tame, but
You know he will attack
He does his job
To get your CDs back

[Chorus]

When your possessions are gone
And something is wrong
There is action to take
Don't call him unless you're really ticked
Because there is no escape
He wears a suit, it looks like he's strapped
Don't mess with him
Or you'll get smacked
Don't steal my CDs
That don't make no sense
Because a Repo Man is always intense!
Hey!

[Chorus]

Old 03-12-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The AquaBats have a fun song called CD Repo Man. They should do a new version for DVD.
The Repo Man Limited Edition Tin comes with a CD, if that's any consolation. Just make sure you don't loan it out to your friends.
Old 03-12-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
As far as sleeping w/his wife and daughter-he has no children. His wife is fairly hot (teaches Pilates for what that's worth) but she's not that friendly so I'm not attracted to her.
Damnit man! (Cue "Patton" music) What is wrong with you?! This isn't about attraction! This about DVDs and war! Do you think that Glenn Close liked rabbits?! Do you think that it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?! Now get in there and take one for the team on principle!
Old 03-12-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
The Repo Man Limited Edition Tin comes with a CD, if that's any consolation. Just make sure you don't loan it out to your friends.

I bought the tin for Mrs. Pusser so it's no consolation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.