Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Loaned out box set and booklet did not come back. What would you do?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Loaned out box set and booklet did not come back. What would you do?

Old 03-12-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Damnit man! (Cue "Patton" music) What is wrong with you?! This isn't about attraction! This about DVDs and war! Do you think that Glenn Close liked rabbits?! Do you think that it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?! Now get in there and take one for the team on principle!

Well if you insist.
Old 03-12-05, 10:40 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

him!
Old 03-12-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dmpre99
i used to loan some of my dvds but they always came back scratched so now i just act like i dont have a dvd collection anymore
Yeah, I hear yah. But that little tactic was stopped in its tracks when I accumulated around 700 DVDs, not including box sets. It's hard to tell people what they are seeing is not really there:

Loser Friend: "Hey DVD Pee, can I borrow the Ma--"

DVD P: "No."

Loser Friend: "Why?"

DVD P: "I don't have a DVD collection anymore. I sold it. It's gone."

Loser Friend: "But there's an entire shelf of DVDs. Right over there."

DVD P: "What do you mean. I don't see anything."
Old 03-14-05, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

And after everything I said on page 1 about not lending out my DVDs, I guess there's something else to take into consideration. I'm getting married in July and my fiance volunteered two of my dvd's to let one of her friends borrow. It's a mutual friend, so it's not like I don't know this person, but man. She's KNOWS better, lol.
Old 03-14-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Pee in his butt, but not the good, respectful kind of butt-peeing.
Old 03-14-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Pee in his butt, but not the good, respectful kind of butt-peeing.
Ahhhhhhh!!!! Otter is leaking into the other forums!!!
Old 03-14-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I talked with him today on the phone. He said he'd check the house for it but he didn't really remember it. He said he wouldn't throw such a thing away so it should be somewhere in a pile of papers, etc.

If I find out his wife threw it out I guess I have to pee in her butt?

Old 03-15-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nightmaster
Im reading about efforts people go to to minimize loan out damage, putting discs in special cases and keeping the original artwork at home while the disc is loaned out and the likes. Why?? Just keep your stuff at home and tell people no! You bought it...its your stuff. Youre under no obligation to loan it out, let alone do special things to protect it. If they don't like it, too bad.
THIS is the best advice in this thread!
Old 03-15-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, I just had my first bad ‘loaned DVD’ experience.
I’m the comptroller for a bank and there are only two people I have to please. (CFO & Treasurer)
Anyway, our CFO had company at his house for Thanksgiving, and he was concerned that his father would get bored. I offered (stupid island007) to loan him a few DVDs for his father to watch while he was on the island. The father left in January, so I was expecting to finally get my DVDs back. I waited and waited: no dice.

Last week, I approached my boss about the movies. Well a few minutes before I wrote this post, my boss knocked on my door and tossed two DVDs on my desk. He said, “Two out of six isn’t bad’. He then walked out.
Old 03-15-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One day, after this guy retires and you are in a greater position of power, "accidentally" find a way to cancel 2/3 of his pension, as compensation.
Old 03-15-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by island007
Damn, I just had my first bad ‘loaned DVD’ experience.
I’m the comptroller for a bank and there are only two people I have to please. (CFO & Treasurer)
Anyway, our CFO had company at his house for Thanksgiving, and he was concerned that his father would get bored. I offered (stupid island007) to loan him a few DVDs for his father to watch while he was on the island. The father left in January, so I was expecting to finally get my DVDs back. I waited and waited: no dice.

Last week, I approached my boss about the movies. Well a few minutes before I wrote this post, my boss knocked on my door and tossed two DVDs on my desk. He said, “Two out of six isn’t bad’. He then walked out.

What an ungrateful fuckhead!

And you tell him Buford T Pusser said so!

I saw the guy today from across the room and he didn't think I saw him. I noticed he changed his direction of travel so I would say he didn't find it yesterday.
Old 03-15-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only lend out DVD's to my brother and 2 of my freind's,no box set's,1 at a time and I put the disc in a HellBoy bonus case I dont use or need and it's worked out great.
Old 03-16-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nightmaster
Im reading about efforts people go to to minimize loan out damage, putting discs in special cases and keeping the original artwork at home while the disc is loaned out and the likes. Why?? Just keep your stuff at home and tell people no! You bought it...its your stuff. Youre under no obligation to loan it out, let alone do special things to protect it. If they don't like it, too bad.
Maybe because some people feel that a DVD sitting on the shelf at home collecting dust is a total waste of money? That maybe since DVDs are meant to be played, people ought to be playing them for more than 0.001% of their existence?
Old 03-16-05, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Maybe because some people feel that a DVD sitting on the shelf at home collecting dust is a total waste of money? That maybe since DVDs are meant to be played, people ought to be playing them for more than 0.001% of their existence?
That's actually a terrific way of thinking about it. DVD's do deserve to be played since money was spent on them but if you lend them out, it's your fault in the end, because you should have known better, is it not? It's kind of a lose/lose situation there.
Old 03-16-05, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Get him alone in the rest room, then rape his arse !

That will make him think twice when borrowing other peoples dvds !
Old 03-16-05, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 03-16-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
That's actually a terrific way of thinking about it. DVD's do deserve to be played since money was spent on them but if you lend them out, it's your fault in the end, because you should have known better, is it not?
That's why being anal-retentive about your discs isn't healthy, they get borrowed they will get worn a little, as long as they still play fine, no big deal. You make a reasonable effort to protect any fragile parts, like leave them at home and just lend out the disc and keepcase and then take life as it comes.

When someone does go beyond the bounds of normal wear and tear and is unapologetic, then refuse to lend to them a second time, but going and locking down your whole collection because of the occasional asshole is at the least overkill and probably a symptom of a minor mental disorder.
Old 03-16-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
That's why being anal-retentive about your discs isn't healthy, they get borrowed they will get worn a little, as long as they still play fine, no big deal. You make a reasonable effort to protect any fragile parts, like leave them at home and just lend out the disc and keepcase and then take life as it comes.

When someone does go beyond the bounds of normal wear and tear and is unapologetic, then refuse to lend to them a second time, but going and locking down your whole collection because of the occasional asshole is at the least overkill and probably a symptom of a minor mental disorder.
Actually, I think that berating strangers on the internet for not using their personal property in a manner you agree with is a symptom of a major mental disorder.
Old 03-16-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Actually, I think that berating strangers on the internet for not using their personal property in a manner you agree with is a symptom of a major mental disorder.
I think "berating" is a little strong. I doubt anybody on this board . . . who refuses to lend out their DVD's . . . would deny that they are anal-retentive about their discs.
Old 03-21-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mrs. Pusser just told me that a woman we know who is very annoying asked to borrow my Star Wars box set for her four-year-old to watch. I said tell her to go to the library or rent it. I'm not letting anyone borrow box sets anymore.

This woman asked to borrow the Beatles "White Album" last week for the birthday song. I burned her a copy but it seems she's decided I have everything and should start sharing the wealth.

She's already asked Mrs. Pusser if she can have our sons clothes when he's done with them cuz they're so nice (and expensive). Oi.
Old 03-21-05, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by talemyn
I think "berating" is a little strong. I doubt anybody on this board . . . who refuses to lend out their DVD's . . . would deny that they are anal-retentive about their discs.
I don't think refusing to loan out personal possessions is anal-retentive, it's just smart in a lot of cases. I don't lend out anything any more. After repeated requests in school to borrow books, cds, clothes, etc. and getting most of them returned in damaged condition, I put my foot down. I am now officially selfish with my belongings, and not ashamed of that at all.

Most people too lazy / cheap / etc. to put their own money into an item aren't going to value yours.

If your car sits unused in your driveway for hours at a time, do you leave the keys in it so your neighbors and friends can use it? House empty while you're at work? Do you invite some homeless people in to stay for awhile? Those things are going to "waste".
Old 03-21-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
... a woman we know who is very annoying...
If she's just someone you know and not a friend or anything, then you should have no problem putting her in her place, and never speaking to her again. From your description, she sounds like a lower form of life anyways.
Old 03-21-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by snoopygirl
I don't think refusing to loan out personal possessions is anal-retentive, it's just smart in a lot of cases. I don't lend out anything any more. After repeated requests in school to borrow books, cds, clothes, etc. and getting most of them returned in damaged condition, I put my foot down. I am now officially selfish with my belongings, and not ashamed of that at all.

Most people too lazy / cheap / etc. to put their own money into an item aren't going to value yours.

If your car sits unused in your driveway for hours at a time, do you leave the keys in it so your neighbors and friends can use it? House empty while you're at work? Do you invite some homeless people in to stay for awhile? Those things are going to "waste".
Well I think that there are two things to consider here:

1) Being anal retentive about your DVD's and having a general "policy" of not lending things are two very different situations. If you are someone who lends out CD's, books, tools, etc., but not your DVD's, then that is being anal retentive about your DVD's.

2) There is a difference between lending "stuff" to random people or people who aren't trustworthy with your things and lending to friends, family, people who are reliable, etc. If I was out of town and a friend needed a place to stay . . . sure I would let them use my house. If my brother was in town and he needed to borrow my car to run to the store and I wasn't using it . . . of course I would let him use it.
Old 03-21-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
but it seems she's decided I have everything and should start sharing the wealth.
Maybe you should share your shoe... up her ass.

Old 03-21-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Maybe you should share your shoe... up her ass.

so much for the "all around nice guy" label.

Did somebody bodysnatch T.O.?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.