Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection (R1) still censored?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

Does anyone know whether these discs are still censored (violence wise) as well as being overdubbed in some places?
I'm not sure but I heard it was a mistake by Warners, initially issuing cut prints and then replacing them with uncut versions. Is that true? (How can we be able to tell when we buy from Amazon or something?)

Annoying about the dubbing too Whilst I don't approve of racial slurs (far from it), overdubbing the cartoons is like pretending it never happened, and anyway it was the actresses real voice for Mammy Two Shoes in those older shorts
Old 03-08-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're censored
Old 03-08-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What, you mean censored for violence as well as being dubbed, or just dubbed (that still counts as censoring IMO). But are they complete footage-wise?
Old 03-08-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are no dubbing issues with the set (they didn't include any "Mammy" episodes, so they ducked that issue entirely). There is also no cut violence.

The issue is that three of the cartoons on disc #1 have 'blackface' gags that have been removed. WB claims that this was an error and they plan to have uncut discs available, although there is no ETA for this, as far as I know.
Old 03-08-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

would be nice if they hurried it up; they said they would fix it last october, and here it is almost half a year later with no news.
Old 03-08-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the clarifcation
Perhaps I'm thinking of a different set? "Mammy" was in the episodes "Puss Gets The Boot" "The Little Orphan" and "Nit-Witty Kitty" for example.
Old 03-08-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grim_tales
Thanks for the clarifcation
Perhaps I'm thinking of a different set? "Mammy" was in the episodes "Puss Gets The Boot" "The Little Orphan" and "Nit-Witty Kitty" for example.
Perhaps you are... Puss and Kitty aren't in this set. Little Orphan is... but Mammy is only in it very briefly (setting the table) and has no speaking role. This scene is intact on the disc.
Old 03-08-05, 02:11 PM

There is also no cut violence.
Actually I believe there is. There is on thanksgiving themed cartoon that is missing a scene where Jerry lights Tom's tail on fire. Maybe that's one of the blackface sequences, but I don't think so...

BTW, I've just about given up on seeing any replacements for this disc. I think someone at WHV marketing was just giving Jerry Beck a line that they would actually fix the discs. Even with the overload of the holidays, it does not take this long (approximately 5 months) to fix a problem with a DVD...

fitprod
Old 03-08-05, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by fitprod
Even with the overload of the holidays, it does not take this long (approximately 5 months) to fix a problem with a DVD...
It does if the corrected episodes have to be remastered. Also keep in mind that the studio may not have been able to immediately start on correcting the episodes. They have schedules to adhere to, just like every other business. If they couldn't fit it into their schedule until a couple months later, then it doesn't get worked on until a couple months later.
Old 03-09-05, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Thanksgiving themed cartoon would be the Little Orphan one (1944). Its' a shame if it had to be cut, I mean I've seen that scene many times on the Boomerang/Cartoon Network channel.

You're right Mammy has no speaking part, but you can hear her singing, I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) - I think?

Since I'm in the UK heaven knows how long it would take me to get an uncut DVD if I asked for one. Is that the only scene missing or is there more?

EDIT: 3 of the cartoons on Disc 1 have been edited I hear.
Is Warners policy of issuing replacement discs open to non-US customers (if I were to buy the set and find Disc 1 is edited)?

Sorry for asking all these questions

Last edited by grim_tales; 03-09-05 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-09-05, 10:29 AM

Perhaps I'm thinking of a different set?
Yes, the sets released in the UK (and Japan) are completely different to the "Spotlight Collection." They were released earlier, contain different shorts, have more edits and are unremastered. Only three shorts on the "Spotlight" set contain any tampering, though that's three too many, in my opinion.

Since I'm in the UK heaven knows how long it would take me to get an uncut DVD if I asked for one. Is that the only scene missing or is there more?

EDIT: 3 of the cartoons on Disc 1 have been edited I hear.
Is Warners policy of issuing replacement discs open to non-US customers (if I were to buy the set and find Disc 1 is edited)?
From what I've heard, NO, WB would only offer free replacements to persons who reside within "Region 1". You might want to wait and see if this set eventually comes out as an official R2 release.

I join the conspiracy theorists. WB has been too silent on this matter, and since Beck has pretty much told everyone to keep quiet until he has something to tell, I'm not too optimistic. I don't blame Jerry for this, but I suspect that WB isn't very firmly committed to replacing these shorts and perhaps Beck is still trying to convince them that this is the right thing to do.