Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any DVD catalog systems where you can easily import from another?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 11:36 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I use DVD profiler and you can back that database up, I am wondering if there are any really good DVD cataloging systems that you can simply import your ENTIRE database over and then use the new system almost right away (especially Guzzlefish)? I tried to with DVDSpot but that was more than I bargained for. It didn't import most of my titles.

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-06-05 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On DVD Aficionado you can import 300 titles at a clip.
Old 03-07-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
I use DVD profiler and you can back that database up, I am wondering if there are any really good DVD cataloging systems that you can simply import your ENTIRE database over and then use the new system almost right away (especially Guzzlefish)? I tried to with DVDSpot but that was more than I bargained for. It didn't import most of my titles.
The lack of an import function is the reason why I will not go back to DVDProfiler. Ant Movie Catalog has excellent import capabilities. The same functionality and flexibility goes into its export, reporting, and scripting as well.

Here's a customized report from AMC: SRacer's DVD Collection

Last edited by sracer; 03-07-05 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Once they're in DVD Profiler, it's really easy to import to either DVD Afficianado (make a CSV, import 300 at a time) or to DVD Spot (best way IMHO is to export from Profiler to XML which includes UPCs).

From Guzzlefish, I guess you could copy and paste into Afficianado or Spot (but Spot does much better with UPCs).

I don't think you can easily import large amounts into Profiler--probably it's biggest weakness, and a really odd one too (you would think that they'd want to encourage people to convert to their program).

I assume you are trying to move away from Guzzlefish. If you are trying to move to Guzzlefish, you've obviously lost your mind and need to seek treatment.
Old 03-07-05, 05:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by NavinJohnson
On DVD Aficionado you can import 300 titles at a clip.
you know i try that and everytime i do that, it loads it, then when i want to click on a title, it freezes and crashes my pc....EVERYTIME! anyone know what is up with that?
Old 03-08-05, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
you know i try that and everytime i do that, it loads it, then when i want to click on a title, it freezes and crashes my pc....EVERYTIME! anyone know what is up with that?
Not sure but DVDAf's quick import is pretty useless when doing more than a few titles because their code displays every version of a title in all regions yet doesn't display any of the info that would allow one to distinguish them like when searching one by one (no country or region info).
Old 03-08-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand why an import feature is so important to people. I'd pick my program based on it's features. You'll use those all the time while the initial load only happens once. It might be a pain, but when it's done, it's done.
Old 03-08-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I don't understand why an import feature is so important to people. I'd pick my program based on it's features. You'll use those all the time while the initial load only happens once. It might be a pain, but when it's done, it's done.
I have to agree with this. When I went to DVDAF, I had been using a handtyped Excel list. I did an import of maybe 200 or so, took a while, but it worked. I tried Guzzlefish, mainly for videogames, but very quickly gave up.
I can think of a few improvements for DVDAF, but as is, it's perfect for me.
Old 03-08-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Without an import/export capability, you are locking yourself into (or out of) a particular program.

If you don't start cataloging your collection with DVD Profiler, it is virtually impossible to migrate to it later. They want DVDProfiler to be the one and only tool you use. There's about a dozen high quality cataloging applications out there (nearly all of them free) that have full import/export capabilities. It is great to be able to export your collection from program "A" and import it into program "B" to give it a whirl.
Old 03-08-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
Without an import/export capability, you are locking yourself into (or out of) a particular program.
I'm not choosing my software based on how easy it will be start using something different. That just makes no sense to me. I pick the software that appears to meet my needs best.

If you don't start cataloging your collection with DVD Profiler, it is virtually impossible to migrate to it later. They want DVDProfiler to be the one and only tool you use. There's about a dozen high quality cataloging applications out there (nearly all of them free) that have full import/export capabilities. It is great to be able to export your collection from program "A" and import it into program "B" to give it a whirl.
As for DVDProfiler, it does not have an import function. Still, entering a few hundred discs is the work of one evening for most users according to reports. Faster if you have a Cuecat or similar bar code scanner.

As for the export, DVDProfiler will export to CSV or XML. I used my export to input in DVDAfaicionado with no problems.

I still think it's crazy to choose a system based on how quickly you can get your collection entered rather than the features the system provides.
Old 03-08-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not choosing my software based on how easy it will be start using something different. That just makes no sense to me. I pick the software that appears to meet my needs best.
riiiight. And how do you know it will suit your needs until you actually USE IT?! You can read all the reviews you like, but you won't know for sure until you take it through its paces. And I prefer to do that with my entire collection. (not just a handful of entries)

As for DVDProfiler, it does not have an import function. Still, entering a few hundred discs is the work of one evening for most users according to reports. Faster if you have a Cuecat or similar bar code scanner.
I have a CueCat and it is more than one evening's work to enter all of my titles. And if I already have my collection using a different application, then it makes no sense to enter them into DVDProfiler again. So DVDProfiler loses out on anyone who already has a collection.

I still think it's crazy to choose a system based on how quickly you can get your collection entered rather than the features the system provides.
And nobody said that import capability is the MOST important function. It is important, just not of primary importance. But DVD Profiler falls short in numerous areas, including the ability to store your collection on a PDA or smartphone. I know that the overwhelming majority are just overflowing with praise for DVDProfiler, and that's cool... but I won't try it again until they have an import function.
Old 03-09-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

riiiight. And how do you know it will suit your needs until you actually USE IT?! You can read all the reviews you like, but you won't know for sure until you take it through its paces. And I prefer to do that with my entire collection. (not just a handful of entries)
Clearly you do things differently than I would. I still stand by my statement. As for the rest, I have no desire to argue the merits of DVDProfiler or any other system.