Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How come so many people hate those carboard slipcovers?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How come so many people hate those carboard slipcovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like em, but they get boo-boo's easily.
Old 02-19-05, 09:22 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
I love them. I almost hate when they don't come with it. Mostly like them for the SE or at least 2-discers. They are added protection imo.
Old 02-19-05, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
I love them. I almost hate when they don't come with it. Mostly like them for the SE or at least 2-discers. They are added protection imo.
They don't (and are not meant to) protect anything.
Old 02-19-05, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
They don't (and are not meant to) protect anything.
your opinion is noted. not mine or possibly others opinions, but thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-05, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
your opinion is noted. not mine or possibly others opinions, but thanks for sharing.
Okay, I'll bite, what do the slipcovers protect? You really think they are meant for protection?
Old 02-19-05, 10:49 AM

i love slipcases. i think it adds to the dvd specially if its just a barebones 1 disc release then i at least feel i am getting a little something. what i hate though is them not being protected in the store with anything and it can be hard to find one in the best condition possible. i normally dont complain about that though but since this is what we do on here i thought id mention it. i also love digipacks as well. alot of you have said you dont like the extra crap but i think its great and a cool bonus.
Old 02-19-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I like them in general. The only thing I don't like about them is what other posters have mentioned, they get messed up too easily.
Old 02-19-05, 11:35 AM

"Ode to a Slipcover" by scott1598

Originally Posted by The Cow
Okay, I'll bite, what do the slipcovers protect? You really think they are meant for protection?
the slipcover essential, the slipcover magnificent, the slipcover protection, the slipcover is life...

they protect the DVD case from the harmful pollutants that invade our every breath.

they protect the DVD case from dust mites and bacteria that seep into our very existence.

they protect the DVD case from a dog, casually observing titles like "Air Bud" whilst falling madly in love with the figure on the cover and thus showing that affection by an errant lick or two.

they protect the DVD case from a baby sister crawling along browsing the children titles like "The Flintstones" and then preceeding to show her bright eyed joy by doing her own rendition of "bam bam".

finally, they protect the DVD case from the collector who with their bright eyed joy over garnering another to add to their collection, goes about shifting the DVD's to and fro not realizing the penetrating impact the jolt may or may not have on the soft outer shell that is the DVD case.
he or she adds with careless disregard for the thin plastic coating that seems transparent as if to show off fanciful cover art for the sacred DVD, thus getting nicked or scratched from this minute or two of clouded thinking in response to the jubilation of the coveted #400 of 400.

the slipcover essential, the slipcover magnificent, the slipcover protection, the slipcover of all our lives.
Old 02-19-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts
Slipcovers are the poor man's excuse for decent packaging but I like them for one reason. For review/promotional copies, some studios will produce different keepcases which have the text "NOT FOR SALE" replacing the bar code, or use the same keepcases but put a white sticker with that text over the bar code. But others don't bother and simply take an exacto knife and make a big gash across the bar code... They do that on the slipcase when there is one, so I just throw it away, but at least the keepcase isn't damaged.
Old 02-19-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
How would a slipcover make it any harder to steal a DVD?It takes all of one second to slide the case out from the slipcover.
Old 02-19-05, 12:39 PM

It separates the people who buy DVDs new and people who buy DVDs used from blockbuster.
Old 02-19-05, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cross
It separates the people who buy DVDs new and people who buy DVDs used from blockbuster.
lol exactly what i was thinking =)

anyway, it seems to be a love it or hate it item around here. I guess I'm in the "love it" camp; while they may be unessesary, they do ofer more protection and are cool looking sitting on my shelf. I especially like them if the artwork is different or cooler or the slipcover than the keepcase...
Old 02-19-05, 01:17 PM
Banned

Well, I like them if each movie in that series has one, for example the Chronicles of Riddick, but if one of the movies in a series has one and the others don't, then I just usually chuck the slipcover (well, not really, I just leave them off and put them into storage), for example, the Bad Boys II slipcover. Bad Boys I doesn't have one, so I have the Bad Boys II slipcover sitting with a bunch of others.

Also, I don't care for them if they fit extremely tight around the keepcase. There are some that are so snug that they're almost impossible to get off. Those I generally leave off. Seems like some of the Arnold Scharzenegger SEs like Running Man, Red Heat, and Total Recall have extremely tight slipcovers.
Old 02-19-05, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My only gripe is that, as someone chronically anal about the condition of my DVD packaging, it makes for another, rather flimsy, item wherein I have to pay attention to make sure I buy one without crimps, scrapes, rubbed spots, banged corners, box razor-sliced spins, etc. And then, when I finally do, Best Buy and Circuit City slap on all manner of price tags and/or oversized UPC stickers that (when I try to remove them) at best leave sticky residue behind (as with my PREDATOR 2: SE and MALCOLM X: SE) and at worst actually remove sections of cover art (as with my LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL: DE...I shudder every time I think of it). In recent purchasing, only THE FIFTH ELEMENT: UE and DONNIE DARKO: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT have come away unscathed because their slipcovers were coated with a glossy overlay...
Old 02-19-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I generally don't have a problem with them, then I see movies like Taxi with them...
Old 02-19-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I love them.
same here. I'm a sucker for extra stuff. Plus, a lot of times, slipcases only come with the first few pressings of the disc so it has the limited edition aura to them.

I just wish that they would bring back inserts.
Old 02-19-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts
I like slipcovers, but for the love of god, PUT THE DAMN SHRINKWRAP OUTSIDE THEM, not on the keepcase inside leaving the slipcover bare!! 95% of stores will go ahead and stick their price tags right on the slipcovers if there's no shrinkwrap, so you have to either leave them on or risk damaging the cover if you take them off. This has had a BIG effect on what titles I buy and where I buy them at- the ones I really want I order online so I get them straight from the distributor with nothing stuck on them, other titles I've passed up at stores even at a lower price just because they had something stuck on them. "I Robot" comes with a clear plastic slipcover that looks pretty neat, but again it's messed up most of the time because price tags get stuck on it! I don't buy used DVDs, and won't buy a new one in that condition!
Also it DOES make it easier for dishonest people to switch the slipcovers with a higher-priced title and walk out with it. Garfield has a hole on the back for the barcode on the keepcase to show through, but most others have the barcodes printed on the slipcovers, so you could just take off the slipcover on a title priced around $15 and put it around another title that sells for more. Putting the shrinkwrap outside the slipcover would make it harder for people to open the case and swipe the disc inside also.
Old 02-19-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I only hate them because places like Best Buy and Tower Records stick their price tags directly on them. As someone mentioned already, my Predator 2 and Donnie Darko: DC boxes were left with a sticky residue behind. Drives me crazy.
Old 02-19-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I only hate them because places like Best Buy and Tower Records stick their price tags directly on them. As someone mentioned already, my Predator 2 and Donnie Darko: DC boxes were left with a sticky residue behind. Drives me crazy.
Goo-Gone is the answer
Old 02-19-05, 10:04 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dabaomb, I was going to ask about that--Goo-Gone won't harm flimsy cardboard?
Old 02-19-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Dabaomb, I was going to ask about that--Goo-Gone won't harm flimsy cardboard?
I don't think so unless it's the metallic kind of material like with Dawn of the Dead.
Old 02-19-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl

Also, they haven't been providing inserts, presumably to cut costs. I'm not saying inserts are a big deal or anything, but I'd rather have an insert than a slipcover (which must be more expensive to produce).
Give me a damn insert with chapter listings on it, so I don't have to sit through 23 pages of never ending chapter menu animations and transitions, instead of carbon-copy slipcovers. Inserts were too expensive to produce???
Old 02-19-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like slip covers when they add to the packaging, like The Usual Suspects or Ghost in the Shell SE.
Old 02-19-05, 11:51 PM

Speaking of slipcovers, I just got my early copy of HEAT: SE, and the slipcover on it is friggin' awesome! With HEAT and HELLBOY both in shiny/metallicy covers, I'm becoming an even bigger fan of these little peices of cardboard
Old 02-19-05, 11:53 PM

I find them attractive...

I'd go as far as to say they're sexy. In fact, im getting hot right now just thinking about them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.