Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Midnite Movies Being Re-Issued?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midnite Movies Being Re-Issued?

A couple of MGM's Midnite Movies I had on order have suddenly changed from backorder to pre-order with a new release date of April 2005. Both were part of the last batch of releases, in August 2004.

Even more interestingly, some (but not all) of the Doubles from previous years that went Out Of Print also have the new April 2005 date... (Cry of the Banshee/Murders in the Rue Morgue for example). Strangely, a couple of others (such as Tomb of Ligea/Edgar Allen Poe Evening) list with a new release date of 2004...this is on DVDSoon's website, one of the few places other than Best Buy which stock the Midnite Movies.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I'd be well pleased to be able to pick up the titles that went OOP.

As usual, MGM's site is totally unhelpful.

I'm thinking that maybe they're re-issuing the ones that went OOP, but this time they're exclusive to Best Buy, like the recent ones have been?
Old 02-09-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe I saw on Fangoria's site that there are another bunch of these coming out in April, some new ones and some of the older films released on their own now coming out as double features. I think they will be exclusive to Best Buy.
Old 02-09-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an outstanding order with them for these titles:

Invisible Invaders / Journey To The Seventh Planet
Cry Of The Banshee / Murders In The Rue Morgue
Invasion Of The Star Creatures/Invasion Of The Bee Girls
What's the Matter with Helen? / Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?

and now that I checked the status,

Cry Of The Banshee / Murders In The Rue Morgue
Invasion Of The Star Creatures/Invasion Of The Bee Girls

are showing now as preorders, with an April 5/05 release date as well. The other 2 still list "on order"

Hmm...
Old 02-09-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sent an email to customer service asking what's up.
Old 02-09-05, 10:07 AM

I think you will find that the two "on order" ones are out of print.

It seems that they're doing a re-issue of various titles, seemingly picked at random, if the April 2005 is to be believed. Which is weird, you'd have thought they would have gone back and re-issued the older ones that have gone OOP - presumeably as Best Buy exclusives this time round - but the ones that were part of the August 2004 are also showing as April re-issues.

There is a batch due in MARCH 2005, which will feature some new titles, plus a bunch of ones that were only previously available as singles!

You emailed DVDSoon, ehh? Good luck...
Old 02-09-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Post #8 in this thread
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401764
might clear some of this up. The double features are apparently now best buy exclusives. The last time I was there they had plenty of all of them on the shelves, so they may not really be OOP.
Old 02-09-05, 11:11 AM

Errmmm nope. Some of the older Double Features were general release, and they went out of print. Most of the newer Double Features were Best Buy exclusives, but you could also get them from a couple of Canadian online stores, notably DVDSoon. There was a bunch of new double features - some including titles that were previously issued as single title discs - due in MARCH of this year.

What now seems to have happened is that a bunch of the Double Features, some old and out of print, some new and still in print, have now been flagged up as being re-released in APRIL of this year. According to DVDSoon, anyways. For example:

Cry of the Banshee/Murders in the Rue Morgue was a general release a couple of years ago, and is out of print. DVDSoon now have it on pre-order for April 2005.

Count Yorga, Vampire/Return of Count Yorga was released August 2004, as a Best Buy exclusive (but also available from DVDSoon). I've ha dit on backorder for about five weeks. It has suddenly switched to pre-order, for April 2005.

However, some of the old double features, general release, are still out of print officially. For example, The Oblong Box/Scream andScream Again has no re-release date (but DVDSoon's listing shows two release dates, one 2002 which is probably right, one for 2004, which is wrong).

The question is: why re-release some in print titles only out last August, but not some a couple of years old now out of print?

I can understand if they wanted to re-release certain old titles (like the Rue Morgue one) as a Best Buy exclusive where it wasn't before and was OOP anyway....but what gives with the re-issue of titles already exclusives that were only out in August last year?? Surely they aren't OOP yet!

MGM have made a right dog's dinner of this range!!
Old 02-09-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
D'oh! I didn't realize you had started that other thread. I saw the "Cool New Member" thing, which I thought only stayed on there for a week or so before it changed to "Member".
Anyway, I was in my local Best Buy Sunday, and I looked specifically for MGM double features that I didn't already have and they seemed to have everything on the list, including:
Cry of the Banshee/Murders in the Rue Morgue
Count Yorga, Vampire/Return of Count Yorga
The Oblong Box/Scream and Scream Again (I think)
and even the allegedly recalled Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers, so you might check the Best Buy B&M stores. I don't think MGM could make it any more confusing if they tried.
Old 02-09-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
D'oh! I didn't realize you had started that other thread. I saw the "Cool New Member" thing, which I thought only stayed on there for a week or so before it changed to "Member".
that has to do with post count, not time since joining the site.
Old 02-09-05, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Anyway, I was in my local Best Buy Sunday, and I looked specifically for MGM double features that I didn't already have and they seemed to have everything on the list, including:
Cry of the Banshee/Murders in the Rue Morgue
Count Yorga, Vampire/Return of Count Yorga
The Oblong Box/Scream and Scream Again (I think)
and even the allegedly recalled Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers, so you might check the Best Buy B&M stores. I don't think MGM could make it any more confusing if they tried.
Yeah, even the "out of print" titles can often be found.

Sadly, as I live in the UK and Best Buy don't ship Internationally....

As I said, I think MGM have made an absolute mess of this range, taking things in and out of print at random and that stupid move of making them "exclusives" thus reducing the customer base and denying them to anyone who lives outside of the US/Canada anyway. Thankfuly they did make them available to DVDSoon.

I just don't get why stuff that was only issued last August has switched to being pre-order for April! Looks like all the titles issued then have done this.

Bizarre to say the least!

Biggest joke is that MGM's own site fails to list the newer titles, but has entries on the ones that are no longer available!

Last edited by Nebiroth; 02-09-05 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-09-05, 05:46 PM

I share everyone's frustration at trying to find certain midnite movies. I live in canada and Bestbuy only stocks certain ones here.

I was just able to purchase 5 movies online from the canadian website dvd-plus.com. I bought Masque Of the Red Death/Premature Burial, Attack of the puppet People/Village of the Giants, Dunwich Horror, Invasion of the Star Creatures/Invasion of the Bee Girls, and Theatre of Blood/Madhouse. They only had masque in stock they said they had to order the other 4 from their US distributor. It took about a month for them to get them in and mail them to me. If you have patience you may want to place an order there. Their website lists almost all of the midnite movies.
Old 02-09-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since August, I've tried to land the Wild In The Streets/Gas-s-s-s dvd, but it wasn't in stock at my local Best Buy on release day, or the several times after that when I looked. Then it disappeared from their data base for a while - instore computer, on line - no sign of it. Seeing this thread reminded me to check again - and it's on line, supposedly to ship in one day. What a pain in the ass.
Old 02-10-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Since August, I've tried to land the Wild In The Streets/Gas-s-s-s dvd, but it wasn't in stock at my local Best Buy on release day, or the several times after that when I looked.
I ordered it through DVD Soon whilst still available. Sometimes it's best to move quickly on esoteric titles with limited appeal.

"Fourteen or fight!"
Old 02-10-05, 09:34 AM

Weirdly, some sites are now showing the "general release but out of print" titles (such as Invisible Invaders/Journey to the Seventh Planet) as being re-released on the 22nd of this month! Maybe DVDSoon hasn't put those on "pre-order" as they are due out so soon?

It's crazy...absolutely crazy.

And it's really, REALLY annoying if you live outside of the US/Canada.

MGM have made a really half-assed job of the Midnite range in r2 with only about half of them available...as singles.

It's crazy!

Oh yeah, and the Count Yorga, Vampire/Return of Count Yorga one - one of the August "Best Buy" titles isn't even listed in BB's database. Just the old single one that was lacking the sequel film.

The strangest thing is the way that so many of the last issue are now showing as pre-orders for April. Strange. Really strange.

Oh yeah, that buy-dvd place...they show everything as usually in stock! I've heard that one before!

DVD-Import.com's site said they had one title in stock...so I ordered it from there. Then I waited a month while they got their copy from the distributor.

I guess buy-dvd are the same..

Last edited by Nebiroth; 02-10-05 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-10-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The larger Best Buy stores seem to still have most if not all of these on the shelf. The easiest way may be to have someone pick them up for you and send them over.
Old 02-10-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Since August, I've tried to land the Wild In The Streets/Gas-s-s-s dvd, but it wasn't in stock at my local Best Buy on release day, or the several times after that when I looked. Then it disappeared from their data base for a while - instore computer, on line - no sign of it. Seeing this thread reminded me to check again - and it's on line, supposedly to ship in one day. What a pain in the ass.
I got that one shortly after it came out, but man oh man what a bitch it was to score a copy of it. IIRC I scooped the only copy they had in stock at the store. Ever since I bought it I have never seen a copy of it at Best Buy. MGM could not have pressed that many copies of it.
Old 02-10-05, 03:25 PM

More like the crappy system at Best Buy. They don't even have some of the latest "Best Buy Exclusive" titles in their database for online ordering at all.

My guess is that just as many copies of that title were pressed, but that Best Buy didn't think they were worthy of shelfspace. Either that or a couple of their stores have hundreds of copies of it.
Old 02-10-05, 03:56 PM

It gets crazier. Amazon.com is showing some, but not all, of the releases from last August as being released on Feb. 15th.

Other suppliers are showing some Midnite Doubles as having that date, but different ones.

I think MGM just doesn't want us to buy the things
Old 02-12-05, 09:13 PM

DDD has most of the Best Buy exclusive Midnight Movie Double Features listed for $9.12 with a release date of 2/22/05.
Old 02-13-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hopefully the BB exclusive was just for a limited time and now its opened up to other outlets. or BB got stuck with so many copies of these DVDs because they have no idea how to stock them on shelves, if they even bother to, so they are ending the exclusive. either way, both MGM and BB mishandled this discs.
Old 02-13-05, 12:59 PM

I'm still hoping for a release of "The Town That Dreaded Sundown". Does anyone know if might be out soon?