Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there ever be a decent price for Farscape?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Will there ever be a decent price for Farscape?

Old 02-01-05, 11:07 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: right around the corner
Posts: 296
Will there ever be a decent price for Farscape?

Everywhere I go, it's alwasy $85 or more for seasons 2 -4, and well over 100 bucks for season 1.

Will they ever get down to a descent price?
B4Bishop is offline  
Old 02-01-05, 11:10 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
they are slowly releasing the starburst versions, which are much cheaper. they will eventually get to season 2-4
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 01:20 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,507
Yeah, the Starburst editions are the way to go.

They're going to be releasing three per season, at a rate of one edition every two months. MSRP is $24.95, but they can be bought for about $15.00.

The first two editions, featuring the first fourteen episodes of season one, are already available. The next one will be out in March.

They also take up less space than the previous releases and have more special features.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 07:50 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,379
Not to mention the Starburst editions have MORE special features than the original releases.
Numes is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 09:26 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 3,662
And I hear they also have more special features.
Doughboy is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 09:34 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
The cool thing about the Starburst sets is that they are not only cheaper, but they have more special features.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 11:56 AM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Didn't I hear that they had more special features?
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 12:57 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,177
I've never seen this before. If these Starburst sets are cheap enough, it might be worth checking out. Especially for the features!
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 02:18 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: right around the corner
Posts: 296
well, only if the have better features? :-) Thanks I'll have to look those up! I for some reason thought they were best ofs.
B4Bishop is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 02:24 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: right around the corner
Posts: 296
So let me add up the math, 3 Starburst collections per season @15 bones each = 45 bucks per season. About half the old price. Not bad!
B4Bishop is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 02:39 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Originally Posted by B4Bishop
So let me add up the math, 3 Starburst collections per season @15 bones each = 45 bucks per season. About half the old price. Not bad!
Now you're catchin' on, boy-o!

These came as I was about to splurge for the $90 season sets. Glad these came out. So in the end, we'll be able to have the entire series on 12 single-width double-disc sets. And considering that the first season was originally released on 11 single-width 2-episode discs, the Starburst Editions will take up much less space...plus they have more special features.

Go check them out on DeepDiscount (direct link). I think they run about $14.99 or so. I've heard you can find them at Best Buy or so for $12.99.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 02-08-05 at 12:57 PM.
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 02:39 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,533
Can anyone tell me if the Starburst editions have any special features?
nodeerforamonth is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 02:45 PM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Can anyone tell me if the Starburst editions have any special features?
I don't know, but it'd be nice if they did.
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 02:45 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,177
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Can anyone tell me if the Starburst editions have any special features?
reread posts #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, and #9. There are special features!
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 03:31 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,674
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
reread posts #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, and #9. There are special features!
Cool,but are they just the same special features ported over from the previous releases or do the Starburst editions get any extra ones?
Maxflier is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 03:54 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,177
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Cool,but are they just the same special features ported over from the previous releases or do the Starburst editions get any extra ones?
#3.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 04:21 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,747
I'd get these, but the lack of special features is a deal breaker for me.
MEJHarrison is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 06:20 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 11,460
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I'd get these, but the lack of special features is a deal breaker for me.
I heard they might have even more features. If only there was some definitive info.
adamblast is offline  
Old 02-02-05, 11:06 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 632
From what I've heard....

and I'm just going on rumor, they DO in fact have features, but how special can they be? I mean really, aren't they just trailers and stuff?
Linn1 is offline  
Old 02-03-05, 08:36 AM
  #20  
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,967
Inserts?
MrE is offline  
Old 02-03-05, 09:16 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 3,662
Originally Posted by MrE
Inserts?
Yes, there are inserts in the first two Starburst editions. As well as more special features.
Doughboy is offline  
Old 02-03-05, 09:41 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: right around the corner
Posts: 296
Here's the features for Vol. 1:

DVD Features:

Region 1
2-Disc Set - Keep Case
Dual Side
Full Frame - 1.33
Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
Disc 1 - Side A: Volume 1 - "Premiere", "I, E.T."
Additional Release Material:
Audio Commentary - 1. Rockne S. O'Bannon - Creator, Brian Henson - Executive Producer, Ben Browder - Star ("Premiere")
2. Claudia Black, Anthony Simcoe - Stars ("I, E.T.")
Text/Photo Galleries:
FARSCAPE Facts by Paul Simpson - Author
The Farscape Chronicles: "Premiere", "I, E.T."
Alien Encounters
Disc 1 - Side B: Volume 1 - "Exodus from Genesis", "Throne for a Loss"
Additional Release Material:
Audio Commentary - 1. Brian Henson - Executive Producer, Virginia Hey - Star ("Exodus from Genesis")
2. Ben Browder, Claudia Black - Stars ("Throne for a Loss")
Text/Photo Galleries:
FARSCAPE Facts by Paul Simpson - Author
The Farscape Chronicles: "Exodus from Genesis", "Throne for a Loss"
Alien Encounters
Disc 2 - Side A: Volume 1 - "Back and Back and Back to the Future", "Thank God It's Friday...Again", "PK Tech Girl"
Additional Release Material:
Audio Commentary - 1. Ben Browder - Star, Rowan Woods - Director ("Back and Back and Back to the Future")
2. Anthony Simcoe - Star, Rockne S. O'Bannon - Creator ("Thank God It's Friday...Again")
3. Ben Browder, Claudia Black - Stars ("PK Tech Girl")
Text/Photo Galleries:
FARSCAPE Facts by Paul Simpson - Author
The Farscape Chronicles: "Back and Back and Back to the Future", "Thank God It's Friday...Again", "PK Tech Girl"
Alien Encounters
Disc 2 - Side B: Volume 1 - Extras
Additional Release Material:
Documentary - 1. "Making of a Space Opera"
2. "In the Beginning: A Look Back with Brian Henson"
3. "From the Archives: Early Makeup Tests"
Additional Footage - 1. Video Profile: John Crichton
2. Video Profile: Aeryn Sun
Trailers - 1. FARSCAPE trailers
2. ADV Previews
Text/Photo Galleries:
Production Design Gallery
Character Art Gallery
Conceptual Art Gallery: Crichton, Aeryn
B4Bishop is offline  
Old 02-03-05, 11:40 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,197
that's all well and good, bishop. but i think we're concerned about SPECIAL features.

Originally Posted by B4Bishop
Here's the features for Vol. 1:

DVD Features:

Region 1
2-Disc Set - Keep Case
Dual Side
Full Frame - 1.33
Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
Disc 1 - Side A: Volume 1 - "Premiere", "I, E.T."
Additional Release Material:
Audio Commentary - 1. Rockne S. O'Bannon - Creator, Brian Henson - Executive Producer, Ben Browder - Star ("Premiere")
2. Claudia Black, Anthony Simcoe - Stars ("I, E.T.")
Text/Photo Galleries:
FARSCAPE Facts by Paul Simpson - Author
The Farscape Chronicles: "Premiere", "I, E.T."
Alien Encounters
Disc 1 - Side B: Volume 1 - "Exodus from Genesis", "Throne for a Loss"
Additional Release Material:
Audio Commentary - 1. Brian Henson - Executive Producer, Virginia Hey - Star ("Exodus from Genesis")
2. Ben Browder, Claudia Black - Stars ("Throne for a Loss")
Text/Photo Galleries:
FARSCAPE Facts by Paul Simpson - Author
The Farscape Chronicles: "Exodus from Genesis", "Throne for a Loss"
Alien Encounters
Disc 2 - Side A: Volume 1 - "Back and Back and Back to the Future", "Thank God It's Friday...Again", "PK Tech Girl"
Additional Release Material:
Audio Commentary - 1. Ben Browder - Star, Rowan Woods - Director ("Back and Back and Back to the Future")
2. Anthony Simcoe - Star, Rockne S. O'Bannon - Creator ("Thank God It's Friday...Again")
3. Ben Browder, Claudia Black - Stars ("PK Tech Girl")
Text/Photo Galleries:
FARSCAPE Facts by Paul Simpson - Author
The Farscape Chronicles: "Back and Back and Back to the Future", "Thank God It's Friday...Again", "PK Tech Girl"
Alien Encounters
Disc 2 - Side B: Volume 1 - Extras
Additional Release Material:
Documentary - 1. "Making of a Space Opera"
2. "In the Beginning: A Look Back with Brian Henson"
3. "From the Archives: Early Makeup Tests"
Additional Footage - 1. Video Profile: John Crichton
2. Video Profile: Aeryn Sun
Trailers - 1. FARSCAPE trailers
2. ADV Previews
Text/Photo Galleries:
Production Design Gallery
Character Art Gallery
Conceptual Art Gallery: Crichton, Aeryn
pdinosaur is offline  
Old 02-03-05, 07:36 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,507
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Yes, there are inserts in the first two Starburst editions. As well as more special features.
And shiny covers to go with the special features and inserts.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 02-03-05, 08:29 PM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And shiny covers to go with the special features and inserts.
Yeah, but are those shiny covers really that special?
Mike Lowrey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.