Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL: Importing DVDs is illegal

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

OFFICIAL: Importing DVDs is illegal

Old 02-09-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
It's nothing to to with copyright really...because when you import something, you aren't breaching copyright.
Yes, you may be. The U.S. Copyright Act makes many types of importation an infringement of copyright. As has happened before, the copyright holder can bring a copyright infringement lawsuit against an importer.

WHat you buy is a fully authorised copy..unless of course it's a priate version.
It's fully authorized, but for a different country. This means it may not be authorized when imported.

DJ
Old 02-10-05, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris81
Marry a Canadian.. it's legal here EH!
Not quite. The same reasoning holds true in Canada; there is one set of rules for casual importations, and another for commercial.
Old 02-12-05, 08:53 PM

I forget which company it was, but they were importing Shaolin Soccer dvd's and whichever company it was that released it in the theaters told them to stop doing it.
The operative word being COMPANY!!!! What you do as an individual is different LEGALLY than what you do as a company.
Per copyright law, it is LEGAL to import ONE copy of a foreign work for YOUR PERSONAL USE.
However-- if you import 10 copies and distribute them (even to your friends, for FREE) techinically, that's illegal. (Tho' in general if you don't make money no one cares)
If you import and then sell copies-- that's illegal.
Technically, if you charge "admission" to a group of people to watch the DVD you imported (which sounds like the case for the specific issue you brought up) Guess what? It's illegal.

What bothers me, is it seems like Corporate America, including the MMPA and other special interest groups with a heck of a lot more money than me, are trying to make it illegal to even import ONE, single copy of ANY book, movie, TV show, or even work of art from other countries. It's part of the isolation movement, and it sucks royally.

Right now it's legal-- tomorrow, who knows?
Old 02-12-05, 08:57 PM

It's fully authorized, but for a different country. This means it may not be authorized when imported.
READ the law, (take a class in law if you have trouble)-- IMPORTING for your own personal use, is NOT, illegal-- not yet.

And even if it was illegal, which it's not, it would be an InCREDIBLY shortsighted, stupid, racist, imperial law.
Old 02-12-05, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BritTVfanMidwst
READ the law, (take a class in law if you have trouble)
Thanks for the tip, but I'm actually the lawyer that posted the law to this thread in the first place.

-- IMPORTING for your own personal use, is NOT, illegal-- not yet.
Which is why I said "it may not be authorized when imported." There are some situations where it is, some where it is not. Take a class in reading English if you have trouble.

And even if it was illegal, which it's not, it would be an InCREDIBLY shortsighted, stupid, racist, imperial law.
Thanks for letting me know.

DJ