Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I Propagating the Stupidity by Not Saying Anything?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Am I Propagating the Stupidity by Not Saying Anything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsohg
I hate when the person who checks me out ask "you sure you want this one? It's the widescreen version" Sometimes when I say yes they will then ask if I have a widescreen TV and I'll go "You need a TV to make these work!?!" and then I 'll storm off to the TV section of the store.
I went to Best Buy to pick my mother-in-law up a cheap VCR last week. First I stopped for a DVD and was just hoping that someone would point out that I couldn't play the DVD on the VCR. Unfortunately all the VCRs were more than I was willing to spend (the cheapest VCRs are now more expensive than the cheapest DVD players!), so I didn't get the joy of f**king with the sales clerk.
Old 01-28-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I say let them be. In 7-10 years when there are only 16x9 tvs on the market and then have the gray bars on the sides of their tv, they will wish they had bought the widescreen versions.
You inspired me to create a t-shirt design to support "the cause".

Edit: Mods . . . feel free to link the image if you don't think it's okay.

Last edited by talemyn; 01-28-05 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-28-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Too funny.
Old 01-28-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I want one of those T-shirts.
Old 01-29-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
While I always buy movies in widescreen I don't see the big deal about HDTV either. I watch CSI and a few sitcoms broadcast in HD and while its noticeably clearer than NTSC broadcasts, its barely different from DVD movies.
This could be due to many things. Are you receiving your HD over cable or satellite, or local broadcasts via a HD antenna? Not all HD antennas are equal.

Was the HDTV calibrated after it was delivered? If it wasn't, then that may why you don't notice much difference. FWIW, delivery guys don't do HDTV calibration. It requires an expert and can run $200 and up. Also, if the HDTV has been moved, it needs to be recalibrated.
Old 01-29-05, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
These kind of stories always make me remember that South Park episode where a Wal-mart opens in town...

Cartman: Look! 3 copies of Boogie Nights for $17!!!
Kyle: But why do you need three copies of the same movie?
Cartman: Because its cheapier than buying three seperately!

Cartman is basically the average Wal-Mart customer. They are so blind to the obvious and always think that they are right. Their ignorence in listening to facts, not with DVDs, but with anything conscerning purchases amazes me.
But don't forget they are being good world citizens by shopping there. They are helping bring China's standard of living up to the USA's- or is it bringing the USA's down to the level of China's? Depends on which economics model I use- Gailbraith's or Walmart's. At least now I can buy one ply toilet paper by the case! But I digress...
Old 01-29-05, 07:42 AM

I do not understand how people can get so frustrated/upset/derisive/annoyed about what other people buy or say and do...at least as it relates to DVD's and TV's. If the studios began releasing movies in Full Screen only then I'd be there to complain and sign on line petitions but I seldom even pay attention to what other people buy. With HDTV I see a clear difference but, when people who are not videophiles with big pockets look they probably also see dollar signs. As I struggle at 41 to take care of hospital bills, rent, car payments I find myself puzzled when I see college age people getting help putting their $5000 TV in their car in front of BB or CC. I know this goes against what I said about not noticing what other people do but often they are blocking traffic in front of the store so its hard to miss. I have had older family members that will not watch widescreen DVD's...If I buy something as a gift, I would really think any one who even tried to "inform" me in a public place should mind their own business.
Old 01-29-05, 09:05 AM

I do not understand how people can get so frustrated/upset/derisive/annoyed about what other people buy or say and do...at least as it relates to DVD's and TV's. If the studios began releasing movies in Full Screen only then I'd be there to complain and sign on line petitions but I seldom even pay attention to what other people buy. With HDTV I see a clear difference but, when people who are not videophiles with big pockets look they probably also see dollar signs. As I struggle at 41 to take care of hospital bills, rent, car payments I find myself puzzled when I see college age people getting help putting their $5000 TV in their car in front of BB or CC. I know this goes against what I said about not noticing what other people do but often they are blocking traffic in front of the store so its hard to miss. I have had older family members that will not watch widescreen DVD's...If I buy something as a gift, I would really think any one who even tried to "inform" me in a public place should mind their own business.
First of all, it really isn't such a big deal now that DVD is firmly established and HDTV's are becoming the norm. Back in the early days of DVD, the release of pan-and-scan titles were seen as a threat to OAR enthusiasts. We thought that if enough people showed a preference to pan-and-scan, the studios would shift to a pan-and-scan mentality and start only releasing selected titles in OAR.

Secondly, and this is in no way meant to be a slam on you personally as you seem to be following the "normal" train of thought in America, but if you would get out of the mentality of having a car payment, you could possibly afford a HDTV (or anything else that you want). You made a choice to have a car payment. It is possible to get things done with a little bit of a lesser car that you saved up and paid cash for. Then, while driving your paid-for car, you could save up to both possibly move up in car AND afford another luxury item or two... Just a thought, again not a slam on you.
Old 01-29-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ksgemini - In my case, it's not about caring what they buy....it's dismissing something they don't understand and essentially calling it crap - especially when they make no effort to understand it.

But hey - I guess that could go for anything these days....probably happens more with politics than anything.

My question for starting the thread was should I have jumped in and educated the people about something they obviously had some conceptual fallacies about.
Old 01-29-05, 10:10 AM

Well in my case as an itinerant special ed teacher I needed a car that was reliable-I drive about70-80 miles a day...I am sure I will end up with an HDTV when I have no choice but as with DVD recorders it just doesnt make sense for me- or many "normal americans" probably- to pay a high price when the item will almost certainly be half of that in a year or two. I am not begrudging the people that can afford them or even that can't afford them but get them anyway... I have a friend that filed bankruptcy a few years ago who now owns a new truck, a 42"Plasma TV, a U2 Ipod w/ $150 download of their complete catalog etc...I am happy for him. I am just trying to offer an explanation that even people driving a paid for heap still have financial reasons that probably make them resentful of forced upgrades and therefore less likely to "get all the facts" until the upgrade is affordable or absolutely mandatory.
As for WS/FS...I do find myself mildly amused when people make comments that are just silly but I never think about it for more than a second unless I am in a forum like this one. Things like several Kubrick films only being pressed in "full screen" editions do bother me somewhat.
Old 01-29-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SleepyW
I know people have discussed this before, but this was my first experience in person listening to really uninformed people discuss widescreen.

So I'm at Walmart the other day,...
No need to explain further.
Old 01-29-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
The answer to the original question is NO. Most people are uninformed about many things and most probably don't give a hoot anyway. So if I felt an overwhelming desire to educate people, educating them about FS vs WS would be about # 4,182 on my list of priorities.
Old 01-29-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The dollar bill analogy doesn't work with open matte films that have been letterboxed. If they expect all widescreen films to have more information on the sides and don't get it there might be lawsuits or something.

Nah, couldn't happen.
Old 01-29-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
nothing pisses me off more than strangers coming up to me in a store and telling me shit
Old 01-29-05, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jon2
This could be due to many things. Are you receiving your HD over cable or satellite, or local broadcasts via a HD antenna? Not all HD antennas are equal.

Was the HDTV calibrated after it was delivered? If it wasn't, then that may why you don't notice much difference. FWIW, delivery guys don't do HDTV calibration. It requires an expert and can run $200 and up. Also, if the HDTV has been moved, it needs to be recalibrated.
The problem is most likely the source material he's watching. Not all that many shows are really taped in HD. More and more are, but most still aren't. They get upconverted to HD resolution for broadcast, but that's not nearly the same thing. And - they look really nice. Just not as nice as a true HD source.

You can upconvert a DVD the same way, but you'll get about the same thing - noticibly more clear, but nothing to amaze yourself with.

True HD source material looks WAY better than DVD. The difference is remarkable. It doesn't take a full professional ISF calibration to show that difference either - that's just to get the most out of it.

/r
Old 01-29-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
nothing pisses me off more than strangers coming up to me in a store and telling me shit
Agreed which is why I do not even attempt to educate people in stores. I have seen many buy the Full Screen versions and just quietly continuing looking through the selections on the shelves. Honestly, the longer you watch a WS movie on a 4:3 TV, eventually you do not even notice the black bards. But, for some odd reason, watching FS movies hurts my eyes. LOL, maybe it's just in my mind but back to the point, I never tell anyone what they should or should not buy cause it would piss me off if someone did that to me
Old 01-29-05, 11:54 PM

Heh, great t-shirt. You could sell those, I bet.

To me, there's a huge difference between preferring fullscreen, and not knowing the difference. I think there are many many folks who think that by buying the fullscreen version, they're getting more picture, instead of less usually. When that happens, I gently try and explain it to them. Once they have the correct info, then they can make an informed decision based on actual facts.
Old 01-29-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw
Heh, great t-shirt. You could sell those, I bet.
Hmmmm . . . maybe it's time to set up a CafePress shop.
Old 01-30-05, 12:24 AM

I think this is the 30th time i've read this thread.. I think it's ignorant to say that most walmart customers are ignorant. Have you ever thought that maybe all those people who buy fullscreen, and don't care to learn about the difference simply DONT CARE! My dad for one is the type of guy who would never understand the concept of widescreen/fullscreen, so why bother explaining. If a person is happy with something why try and ruin their happyness, or make them happier when there isn't a problem?

AND YES!

I owned all 3 LOTR in FULLSCREEN.. I didn't care for the movies much & they were cheaper!

(now which of you readers are being rushed to ER?)
Old 01-30-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kris81
I think this is the 30th time i've read this thread.. I think it's ignorant to say that most walmart customers are ignorant. Have you ever thought that maybe all those people who buy fullscreen, and don't care to learn about the difference simply DONT CARE! My dad for one is the type of guy who would never understand the concept of widescreen/fullscreen, so why bother explaining. If a person is happy with something why try and ruin their happyness, or make them happier when there isn't a problem?
Just to clarify (and I'm not sure to which posts that you are referring, in particular), a lot of people in here are very specific with there use of the word "ignorant" when it comes to this issue, because it is defined as "lacking knowledge" (which is what you just described) as opposed to just meaning "stupid".

Just a point of clarification.
Old 01-30-05, 02:08 AM

Sorry, i was refering to Master Shake's post on the first page:

These kind of stories always make me remember that South Park episode where a Wal-mart opens in town...

Cartman: Look! 3 copies of Boogie Nights for $17!!!
Kyle: But why do you need three copies of the same movie?
Cartman: Because its cheapier than buying three seperately!

Cartman is basically the average Wal-Mart customer. They are so blind to the obvious and always think that they are right. Their ignorence in listening to facts, not with DVDs, but with anything conscerning purchases amazes me.
In my opinion people shop at WalMart because it's the cheapest. Chances are they aren't that picky with name brands they wear, the brand of chips they buy, and in this case the format in which their dvds come in.
Old 01-30-05, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honestly i really wish these threads would stop. I see at least 2 a week here. If someone want's fullscreen then let them buy fullscreen. It isn't your job to "educate" them. Maybe they like fullscreen.
That's the beauty thing about different people, they have different tastes. Why do you even care what they buy? I highly doubt any of these people are going to invite you over to watch their new fullscreen movies. Just buy what you want to buy for yourself and let others do the same.
I prefer widescreen, but not because of the extra picture. I just got used to it. Most of the time that extra part is just extra people from the crowd anyways. My opinion is don't worry about them, worry about yourself

Last edited by glassdragon; 01-30-05 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-30-05, 07:02 AM

What bothers me the most about this post is how people are being judged on their looks, where they work or shop, and what they purchase. If someone askes you for your opinion fine, otherwise mind your own damn buissness.
Old 01-30-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Honestly i really wish these threads would stop. I see at least 2 a week here. If someone want's fullscreen then let them buy fullscreen. It isn't your job to "educate" them. Maybe they like fullscreen.
You know, I just happened to be reading through this thread when I noticed in your post that you don't seem to understand the importance of this topic. Do you have a moment for me to explain to you why you should take more interest in the widescreen vs. fullscreen debate?

Old 01-30-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Do you stop and tell smokers that they'll die of lung cancer when you see one standing in front of a building taking a puff?

Do you tell overweight people that they should have ordered a salad when you see them in a restaurant eating a big greasy hamburger?

Do you go up to people in cars and tell them they should have voted for Bush (Kerry) when you see a Kerry (Bush) bumper sticker on their car?

Do you think you think you would get popped in the mouth for doing any of these things?

Then why do you think it's your duty to stick your nose into other people's business when it comes to WS v. P&S in stores?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.