DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ray - Limited Edition... Not Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Yo, slop,
Can you post the running times of the featurettes on disc 2?
Sure -

Taylor Hackford intro to disc: 1 and a half minutes

Extended Songs: 7 songs at around 2 minutes each - none of them are complete songs, each with a 30 second intro from Jamie Foxx: less than 20 minutes total

Film Maker's Journey: standard EPK - 9 minutes

Women of Ray: ...lame - 10 minutes

Ray - An American Story more EPK stuff, but not as bad. Lots of clips from the movie but there's a really cool segment of Ray Charles and Jamie Foxx jamming together, though there's a lot more of this jam session on one of the extras on the first disc, so it's moot here - 28 minutes

So, the whole disc is about 70 minutes, with about 5 minutes worth of stuff you might want to watch again.

Last edited by slop101; 01-28-05 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-28-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Extended Songs: 7 songs at around 2 minutes each - none of them are complete songs, each with a 30 second intro from Jamie Foxx: less than 20 minutes total

So, the whole disc is about 70 minutes, with about 5 minutes worth of stuff you might want to watch again.
Thanks for this info. I thought the LE would be worth it due to the extended songs, but since they're not complete, it doesn't seem that great a deal.
Old 01-29-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
Really? That doesn't make sense. Not only is it more expensive, it's in a collectable container that they would throw away. Besides, their website lists only the regular version for rent. You can buy the 2-disc one, but it isn't available for online rental. Blockbuster Online
what doesnt make sense?

i work at one, i have it i my hand, it has 2 dvd's.

i never mentioned online rental.
we dont get them in a collectible "container" they come in a regualr cover amamry type that has a space on the side for a lock.
you can easily remve the cover and put it in a regular amaray that holds 2 dvd's.

i'm not telling people to buy it this way, just offering a suggestion.
Old 01-29-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's also a couple extended songs on the first disc's extras, but those aren't complete songs either.

Now, after checking out the whole package, I can safely say that this thing is a total scam by Universal. All the extras from both discs together, total well under 2 hours - they could have easily fit them all together on one, one-sided disc and had the movie by itself on one, one-sided disc, and just put out a typical 2-disc SE. But no, they went for a cash grab with this LE. And I was a sucker and fell for their shenanigans.
But what else would you expect from Universal, they really are one of the shittiest studios out there.
And before you throw the Back to the Future thing in my face, that wasn't Universal's doing - I know Bob Gale - he was the one that forced Universal to fix their mistake. If left to their own, they would have done nothing.
Old 01-29-05, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
What do you mean by "uncut" performances? Isn't all the music just Ray anyways? If you want something "uncut" couldn't you just buy the soundtrack or a Ray album?

I ask this because I'm a huge Ray fan, and I probably have all the music anyways.
Old 01-29-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I am confused about something, is the regular one a one sided or two sided disc or is it actually two. In that case, is the collector's edition a two sided disc and a second one sided disc?
Old 01-29-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
what doesnt make sense?

i work at one, i have it i my hand, it has 2 dvd's.

i never mentioned online rental.
we dont get them in a collectible "container" they come in a regualr cover amamry type that has a space on the side for a lock.
you can easily remve the cover and put it in a regular amaray that holds 2 dvd's.

i'm not telling people to buy it this way, just offering a suggestion.
I didn't mean to offend you, I just find it suprising that they would rent the standard version online and the LE in-store. It's far from the first weird thing they've done.

If this is the case (and by your post, I now believe it is), by far the cheapest way to get the LE would be to "rent" Ray at Blockbuster and not return it. As I understand it, since "The End Of Late Fees", if you keep it longer than a week, you're charged the PVD price and can keep the disc. This is correct, right?

And slop, Thanks so much for your posts. You've convinced me that the LE isn't worth it. Sounds like a bigger rip-off than the LE of Red Dragon (and that's really saying something).
Old 01-29-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw the film for the first time last night and loved it. That said, the 2-disc edition doesn't really sound worth it now that slop has broken down its contents. Sounds like if they were going to go all out, they could've added so much more to the LE. So for the time being, I may just be sticking with the single disc edition, although I absolutely love the cover for the 2-disc edition.
Old 01-29-05, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
There's also a couple extended songs on the first disc's extras, but those aren't complete songs either.

Now, after checking out the whole package, I can safely say that this thing is a total scam by Universal. All the extras from both discs together, total well under 2 hours - they could have easily fit them all together on one, one-sided disc and had the movie by itself on one, one-sided disc, and just put out a typical 2-disc SE. But no, they went for a cash grab with this LE. And I was a sucker and fell for their shenanigans.
But what else would you expect from Universal, they really are one of the shittiest studios out there.
And before you throw the Back to the Future thing in my face, that wasn't Universal's doing - I know Bob Gale - he was the one that forced Universal to fix their mistake. If left to their own, they would have done nothing.
Thanks for taking time to post your thoughts.
Old 01-29-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I guess the question now is, who else is getting the LE set?
Old 01-29-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I took a look at Blockbuster. Their DVDs are 2-disc sets. I'm wondering if these are the same as the one-disc regular edition, but put out on 2-discs to avoid dual-sided wear and tear (like The Pianist Canadian Version or T2 : Penultimate Edition), or whether there was some last-minute spec-shifting (a' la ET). Wish I coulda checked out disc 2 to see what was on it, but these BBV guys didn't know me and weren't cool to my private investigation.

Anyone who works at BBV, could you check that out for me?
Old 01-29-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took a look at Blockbuster. Their DVDs are 2-disc sets. I'm wondering if these are the same as the one-disc regular edition, but put out on 2-discs to avoid dual-sided wear and tear (like The Pianist Canadian Version or T2 : Penultimate Edition), or whether there was some last-minute spec-shifting (a' la ET). Wish I coulda checked out disc 2 to see what was on it, but these BBV guys didn't know me and weren't cool to my private investigation.

Anyone who works at BBV, could you check that out for me?
hmm good question decker. i hadnt thought of that possibility. i'll take a look.
Old 01-29-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

here is the list of bonus features on disc 2.

deleted scenes.
extended musical performances.
stepping into the part.
ray remembered.
a look inside ray.
theatrica trailer.
previews.

there are only 2 exteneded musical scenes.

ray & the raelettes perform what kind of man are you

ray and the raelettes perform hit the road jack

7 deleted scenes with play all feature.

so there it is.

is this whats on the special ltd edition?

the only bonus feature on disc 1 is a dir commentary.
when you hit play it asks if you want to watch the extended or theatrical version.

Last edited by whotony; 01-29-05 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-30-05, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
here is the list of bonus features on disc 2....
Those are the same exact extras that appear on the flipside to disc one of the LE - they total no more than 45 minutes.

The extras on the LE could have easily fit together on one disc, without having to make the movie disc two-sided. I think I'm gonna sell my LE and get the regular version, just to get the movie on one, one-sided disc.
Old 01-30-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
So basically it looks like the limited edition is really a "three disc" but has the "two disc" regular on a flipper. Bleh..

As for the extended version, are all those extension in the deleted scenes because I don't like the sound of that terrible branching.
Old 01-30-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Single disc for me. Thanks for re-affirming what I though OP.
Old 01-30-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone think that even though Universal is trying to milk the consumer for all their worth, they'll try and squeeze another edition of this film onto DVD before the year's over? If it does anything at the Oscars, I can't see them not taking advantage of it and putting together yet another edition.
Old 01-30-05, 01:49 PM
Banned

It willdefinetly be double dipped, the question is when not if.
Old 01-30-05, 02:05 PM

Anyway, I have bought it and it's on its way now. But some early packaging photos would have been nice
Old 01-30-05, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Fox, Universal at some point decided that a two-disc set for $30 was way too much value for them to give away. Fox has so far given us a $30 1-disc set on numerous titles when 2-disc versions are available abroad. Who knows what pricing the 2-discers will have when they finally show up domestically? Two sets that did stay as 2-disc items are Master & Commander and I Heart Huckabees - both 2-discs for $40!!!

I don't know about the Huckabees, but M&C managed to hide its high $40 retail with nice packaging. This also allowed Fox to sell a "bare bones" 1-disc for a full $30!

Same strategy with Ray - the one disc is a full $30 retail and the 2-disc an outrageous $45. A nice cover and a picture book try to disguise the fact that a year or so ago you could reasonably expect the 2 discs in an amaray case for $30.

On Red Dragon - abroad you could get a 2-disc set with the feature with DTS and bonuses on disc 2. Over here, the extras were spread over disc 1 & 2, losing the DTS so Universal could have a 1-discer with extras and simply bung the rest on the overpriced "director's edition."

These companies have realised that they have been too "generous" with us, and these various configurations and price points are them figuring out how to take it back.
Old 01-30-05, 03:17 PM
Banned

I am a little confused. Is the whole movie not on one disc? Do I actually have to flip the disc over to watch the rest of the movie( a la "Schindler's List) if so, you can forget about me picking this one up.
Old 01-30-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No no - the whole movie is on one side, with the extras on the other side, and the extras exclusive to the LE are on another single-sided disc.

Does anyone esle find it interesting, that this close to release date, there are still no reviews of this dvd?
Which just perpetuates my theory of Universal's screw job.
Old 01-30-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you talking about reviews around here or just in general?
Old 01-30-05, 04:24 PM
Banned

I think he means in general for this version.
Old 01-30-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, whether it's good or not has little to do with the lack of reviews we've seen. I think once it's actually out, we'll see more reviews.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.