DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Unrated The Grudge planned..... (May 3rd) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/405745-unrated-grudge-planned-may-3rd.html)

Julie Walker 01-18-05 11:08 PM

Unrated The Grudge planned..... (May 3rd)

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3394

January 17: Unrated GRUDGE DVD on the way

Fango got an advance look at and listen to the DVD of Takashi Shimizu’s THE GRUDGE, due February 1 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, and on the filmmakers/cast commentary track, producers Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert reveal that a disc of an unrated, more extreme version of the film will be coming out later this year. This edition, they reveal, will include scenes trimmed for the PG-13 rating, including moments involving child endangerment and at least one very cool-sounding setpiece (which we won’t spoil here). This cut may also eliminate a scene or two in THE GRUDGE designed to explain the supernatural concepts to American audiences. Sony Pictures has yet to officially announce this DVD, but we’ll keep you posted.

Rammsteinfan 01-18-05 11:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I was debating on getting it or not.. now I will just wait.

DVDOtaku13 01-19-05 03:11 AM

I thought the soon-to-be released DVD was going to contain an R-rated version of the film with extended scenes, and now they say there's going to be an unrated version with even MORE scenes that were cut out!? Hmmph, sounds like a greedy, maniacal scheme to needlessly milk more money out of anyone who actually liked this remake. :rolleyes:

They should do us all a favor and release the other three Japanese Ju-On films on DVD instead of more of this domesticated Hollywood drek.

dcprules 01-19-05 03:21 AM

The upcoming DVD is the theatrical cut, there was no mention of an extended cut for the original DVD. Apparently it will be the next DVD after the one streeting in February.

jaeufraser 01-19-05 03:27 AM

yeah, more than likely this unrated version is the thing you heard about the R rated version. If this unrated cut were submitted to the MPAA, it'd probably be the R rated cut.

roger_d 01-19-05 06:38 AM

Thanks very much, i was going to buy it but now NO WAY. I'll wait for the unrated version.

heavy liquid 01-19-05 06:43 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. I was looking forward to buying it in a couple weeks, but it looks like I'll have to wait a little while longer.

slowcloud 01-19-05 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by roger_d
Thanks very much, i was going to buy it but now NO WAY. I'll wait for the unrated version.

Agreed. The unrated version already sounds like a better cut, which will stay more true to the tone of the original films. I like the idea of the unrated version getting rid of some of the expository scenes. I hate things like that in movies. If you can't say something with imagery in film, then you are working with a compromised script. Also, without exposition you leave things more open to the viewer’s interpretation. In a horror movie it adds to the fear level, as it welcomes the viewers to project their own darker fears into the film.

matome 01-19-05 07:17 AM

It sucks that Shimizu had to water down the film for a PG-13 rating. Looks like all we'll be getting are kiddie-friendly flicks soon. Oh well, at least we'll eventually get the uncut versions, though we'll have to wait an extra six months or so. I gotta say it's a smart play for the studio $$$-wise though.

Damed 01-19-05 07:44 AM

Thanks for the info. I was going to pick this up, but will wait for the extended edition.

eXcentris 01-19-05 07:52 AM

Oh geez he's gonna make the movie more japanese. Well woop dee doo, we already have 4 of those.

DJ_Longfellow 01-19-05 08:05 AM

i guess I'll just rent this now and wait for the extended version.....thanks

steebo777 01-19-05 08:18 AM

That's the second time Sam has said before the theatrical cut DVD came out that there's going to be an extended cut version (the other being Spidey 2.5). Cheers Sam!

mljones99 01-19-05 08:26 AM

Looks like I'll wait for the unrated one as well.

Geofferson 01-19-05 08:28 AM

Nice. :up:

xfilekr 01-19-05 08:30 AM

Thanks! Now I'll be waiting

ianholm 01-19-05 08:41 AM

Great news! Thanks for the heads up.

visitor Q 01-19-05 08:17 PM

I have the region 3 IVL release and it's rated IIb. However, not sure if that means it could also be comparable, if not just the same as the intended "uncut" version yet releases. If so, I have no idea why you guys remain stuck in region 1 land ... in full support of Hollywood, which for the most part is cranking out about 1 great film in about 20 these days anyway.

critterdvd 01-19-05 09:20 PM

I just want to know how Sarah Michelle Gellar could justify leaving Buffy for this movie!?!

Julie Walker 01-19-05 10:11 PM

Buffy,while a fun show was played out by now Critter,so time to move on:)

Most tv shows run out of steam after so many seasons. Look what happened to The Simpsons(so lackluster the past few years) and Married With Children. Then don't forget Friends(which I never liked,but was more generic with each season) among many other shows.

Oh and the film was a good bizzare film and fairly creepy. So I am not mad at Sarah from doing this film,instead of Buffy:)

If the dvd is cheap on release week(like $15.99 or lower),then I 'may' get it. But I am pretty sure I won't,since I am pretty much on a dvd freeze right now(no more space left)..and will see what happens.

..and your welcome everyone. I just happened to come across that information while browsing around and thought I would give everyone a heads up.

ChrisHicks 01-19-05 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
I have the region 3 IVL release and it's rated IIb. However, not sure if that means it could also be comparable, if not just the same as the intended "uncut" version yet releases. If so, I have no idea why you guys remain stuck in region 1 land ... in full support of Hollywood, which for the most part is cranking out about 1 great film in about 20 these days anyway.

are you talking about the original or the remake? if the remaks, where did you get it?

victant 01-20-05 02:11 AM

Again, great heads up on this! I was just about to preorder the Feb streetdate PG-13 disc....

:up:

natevines 01-20-05 05:56 AM

I'll grudgingly buy this. Damn, I'm good.

Josh-da-man 01-20-05 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I just want to know how Sarah Michelle Gellar could justify leaving Buffy for this movie!?!

It's often been mentioned that Buffy stopped at season seven because Sarah wanted out.

However, I don't think an eighth season of BTVS was ever going to happen.

Joss Whedon wanted to end it at season seven. (When asked if season 7 was going to be the final season, he replied with "God, I hope so.")

Seasons six and seven underperformed for UPN and were expensive to produce, so I don't think UPN would've wanted any more seasons even if Joss and Sarah pushed for them.

dullboy 01-20-05 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
I have the region 3 IVL release and it's rated IIb. However, not sure if that means it could also be comparable, if not just the same as the intended "uncut" version yet releases. If so, I have no idea why you guys remain stuck in region 1 land ...

Yes, where did you get this? I'm not stuck in R1 land.

garmonbozia 01-20-05 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's often been mentioned that Buffy stopped at season seven because Sarah wanted out.

However, I don't think an eighth season of BTVS was ever going to happen.

No, but SMG did turn down 2 episodes of Angel Season 5 she was originally scheduled to appear in to make this film.....
...and they kept that storyline for at least one episode of Angel anyway....and it was totally ridiculous.....having some stand-in play her from across a room....

TNAJason 01-20-05 12:01 PM

I'll be waiting for the Unrated release then. I'll just rent the PG-13,and wait for Unrated(Or R Rated?) DVD.

nodeerforamonth 01-20-05 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by TNAJason
I'll be waiting for the Unrated release then. I'll just rent the PG-13,and wait for Unrated(Or R Rated?) DVD.

Me too.

TylerDurden_73 01-20-05 03:47 PM

I'm waiting for the Unrated version...

Julie Walker 02-01-05 10:11 PM

Well since I have been having some great luck lately. I decided to treat myself and pick up the dvd along with Ju-On(Best Buy has a great two for $25 deal with week).

Since I have not seen any reviews at all for the dvd. I will give a few reasons why the dvd is worth picking up,if you are a fan of the film.

1-cool creepy poster art. No floating giant heads!

2-OAR only release. For a big box office hit,it is rare for a P&S edition to not also be released. I even witnessed a person at BB get upset that no P&S version existed for either film! So it's good to support an OAR only release for a change.

3-great transfer and audio,which is no surprise. If you have a surround system,this may give it a work out and freak you out/wake the neighbors/household. So watch it loud and late at night in the dark for a true atmospheric experiance.

4-extras are alright,the making of featurettes are informative. Though the 'science of fear' feature was rather boring,but if you find it interesting. You may like it,though the scientist tells us what we already know about fear and horror film viewing. Cool creepy trailer for the film(I missed all the trailers and tv spots when originally released,so this was nice). Commentary seems like it may actually be worthy of listening to from what I sampled throughout the film.

5-it's a good creepy film and who knows how long it will be until the R rated version is released. Still pretty intense for a PG-13 film,and if some scenes are cut out for the Directors Cut. It would be worth keeping for that alone.

:)

Trigger 02-01-05 10:16 PM

I'm gonna wait for the uncut version.

thegame370 02-01-05 10:22 PM

Same here on waiting for the Uncut version. Im glad i checked here 1st becuase im tired of dubble dipping on movies! Money is too tight to spend now and then again later on the same movie. Also money isnt always an issue, but i refuse to fall for thier tricks.

TNAJason 02-01-05 10:45 PM

Damn:( I fell into the trap. I bought it even tho I said I wasn't because,I found it for $10.00 at Gameswap(A local Game/DVD store) SEALED. This store is clueless about how much to give... I sold a bunch of bad PS1/N64 games there and got $75,when all EB offered me was $28. I love the clueless people :D

asianxcore 02-02-05 12:06 AM

saw the PG-13 version in theaters and I didn't like the movie enough to really want to purchase it on DVD. hopefully the unrated version may change my mind.

nodeerforamonth 02-02-05 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
3-great transfer and audio,which is no surprise. If you have a surround system,this may give it a work out and freak you out/wake the neighbors/household. So watch it loud and late at night in the dark for a true atmospheric experiance.

Saw it last night. BEST use of sound I've ever heard. Wow!

A movie hasn't creeped me out so much since Hellraiser 2.

Didn't like the ending though.

joliom 02-03-05 09:20 AM

I hope this isn't going to be like the 2-Disc SE of Adaptation that I'm still waiting on. Or the multi-disc SE of The Passion of the Christ that was supposed to be announced for X-Mas last year. Both those were talked about publically by insiders too, but have yet to materialize. I'm getting to where I don't trust any of these rumors from the studios and/or movie participants anymore. I hope I'm being unduly pessimistic though, since an unrated cut would be cool as hell. Everyone I know hated this film because it was too similar to The Ring, but I loved it, and even prefer it to the original Japanese version (except for the guy playing SMG's boyfriend who brought the movie down a notch every time he was in a scene). Maybe I'll grab the current DVD and pass it off to a relative or something down the line.

dullboy 02-03-05 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by joliom
Maybe I'll grab the current DVD and pass it off to a relative or something down the line.

That's the way I see it. When you really like a movie, you have to get the first DVD that comes out. When a better version comes along, you can always sell your old one and make a couple of bucks so that the difference isn't so bad. I just feel cheated when I buy another edition of something that basically has the same stuff on it as the original save for ONE frickin' thing that compells you to keep your first one. It really pissed me off that the Hellboy 3-disc didn't offer much more except for an extended cut, and it left off the damn "Hellboy Recommends" cartoons from the first set that I really loved! I couldn't unload my 2-disc because of that!

Trigger 02-03-05 01:15 PM

I may pick the original DVD off someone for pennies after the unrated one comes out so I can have both versions.

OldBoy 02-03-05 01:43 PM

Hopefully it will be a step up from this version because to tell you the truth...it bit! I was looking forward to seeing it and rented it the other day. How many times can you see a decrepit looking kid open their eyes and/or mouth?

This was not even a movie just ghost scenes of a woman and her son strewn about in creepy atmosphere for shock value. There was no plot, no character development, no nothing. It was so flat I couldn't care what happened to Karen (SMG)'s character or anyone who knew her.

What a waste, plus it was done much, much better in "The Ring" (American and Japanese versions).

Get Me Coffee 02-03-05 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Saw it last night. BEST use of sound I've ever heard. Wow!

A movie hasn't creeped me out so much since Hellraiser 2.

Didn't like the ending though.

:up: The foot steps bouncing from speaker to speaker was creepy! Loved it!