Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jackson on an Ultimate LOTR DVD Collection

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackson on an Ultimate LOTR DVD Collection

I am happy with the current extended editions, so I will not re-buy any more LOTR DVDs unless I upgrade to HD.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2005-01...ractions_x.htm

USA Today spoke with "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson on the set of King Kong where he revealed that they still want to develop an Ultimate "Lord of the Rings" DVD Collection.

The set will included the three extended versions (not combined into one film) and likely won't arrive in stores for another two or three years.

"I don't want to add more footage," Jackson says. "There's as much in there as we want. Eventually you are just going to go backward and weaken the films." Instead, he would prefer to simply show the unused deleted scenes and explain why they were cut.

Jackson would also like to include feature-length documentaries, made by longtime associate Costa Botes, on the making of the movies. "There are no commentary or interviews. It's like a reality TV show," Jackson says.

He adds that the bloopers, or "bleepers" as Jackson calls them, would also be a new feature. They were previously only shown to the major cast members as a farewell tribute after they finished filming.
Old 01-14-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm willing to dip as long the packaging is something that's incredibly cool and new, such as the Ultimate Matrix Box Set with the Neo bust. If it's going to look incredible on my shelf I'll bite, but if not, I'll just keep what I have.
Old 01-14-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Yeah, like New Line wasn't going to milk it like a Mumakil-sized cow.
Old 01-14-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two or three years from now? That's perfectly reasonable. I do that wish that the bloopers had made it onto the RotK:EE set, though.
Old 01-14-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would rather it be five years from now. That's my threshold for forgetting details about a movie before I have to revisit them and experience anew. I also plan to have a bigger income by then (the big five-year plan)! So if it's far along enough in the future, I will probably get it. Hopefully Jackson could include his extended version of The Hobbit, after it gets released theatrically (I know... after New Line and Jackson get the rights to it, which is a tangled mess, and, before anyone freaks this is just speculative wishful thinking, folks!).

Last edited by slowcloud; 01-14-05 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-14-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, like New Line wasn't going to milk it like a Mumakil-sized cow.
UH-UH! Don't try to lay the "blame" for this on New Line. They are not referenced at all. It is SO typical of the Jackson faithful to think that PJ has no need for money. So basically the whole "it's ok that the LOTR was double dipped because we knew in advance" is out the window because WHOOPS! There's another version in the works (as many unbiased observers such as myself predicted).

I think this is good news and the stuff to be included sounds great. I just hope that when this comes out it is either available with the EEs on an HD format and/or the new materials are available seperately.
Old 01-14-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Jackson would also like to include feature-length documentaries, made by longtime associate Costa Botes, on the making of the movies. "There are no commentary or interviews. It's like a reality TV show," Jackson says.

He adds that the bloopers, or "bleepers" as Jackson calls them, would also be a new feature. They were previously only shown to the major cast members as a farewell tribute after they finished filming.
1. They couldn't have done these as an extra disc with the gift sets? Sheesh. Both of these would be cool.

2. The documentaries sound cool. iRobot (all regions other than here) has one like this, no interviews or commentary. Like a fly on the wall certain days on the set. What I have watched is pretty cool.
Old 01-14-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bring on LOTR HD (DTS-HD)

Hopefully I'll have the equipment to watch it in HD by then.
Old 01-14-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. rereleases are inevitable.

2. the existing EEs are arguably the best treatment the fans of any film franchise have EVER gotten on DVD.

3. rebates

I think the fans of LOTR (and their wallets) have been treated very respectfully. I have no beef with New Line or PJ.
Old 01-14-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
These are a few of the movies I would gladly upgrade to HD for. Two or three years should give me enough time to figure out a way to explain it to my wife.
Old 01-14-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I hope it all comes in a nice wooden box, like this:

Old 01-14-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

in 5 years wouldn
t be so bad.....i wonder when the first re-release to theaters will be....5 years from FOTR 10 years??? WHo knows....but if they do it the EE in theaters for limited release i could see how this could happen.
Old 01-14-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
UH-UH! Don't try to lay the "blame" for this on New Line. They are not referenced at all. It is SO typical of the Jackson faithful to think that PJ has no need for money. So basically the whole "it's ok that the LOTR was double dipped because we knew in advance" is out the window because WHOOPS! There's another version in the works (as many unbiased observers such as myself predicted).
Sure, you may have predicted it, but all of the Jackson/NLC bashing about double-dipping up to this point had been wrong because the EE releases were telegraphed. Now that there is legitimate reason to complain about double-dipping... all of those who prematurely jumped the gun have forfeited their right to say ,"see, told-ya-so!"
Old 01-14-05, 12:14 PM

Good thing he said no more footage.

Thank you PJ...I spent enough.
Old 01-14-05, 12:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow you would of thought with 4 disks per movie, he would have been able to fit all the additional deleted scenes/bloopers in. If anything, hopefully we'll be able to buy the new extra's seperately, but I doubt it. I don't think I'll double dip, I'm pretty happy with the sets now.
Old 01-14-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by chess

2. the existing EEs are arguably the best treatment the fans of any film franchise have EVER gotten on DVD.

3. rebates

I think the fans of LOTR (and their wallets) have been treated very respectfully. I have no beef with New Line or PJ.
I agree with you 100%. I wish that every movie I love were treated as well. Aside from the whole "Minas Morgul" debacle, the releases have been perfect. I look forward to more too, as long as I don't have to re-buy what I have already bought.

My beef is with the way the finger was immediately turned on the money hungry studio when they were not mentioned. This is not New Line's choice. It is PJ's. They said "At least we were told the better version is coming. That make NL & PJ better! " But lo and behold, I must have missed the announcement about this "Ultimate" edition. I have no problem with it per se.

Face it: PJ is put up on pedestal and can do no wrong, even though this is no different than GL's repeated dips on the SW trilogy, Warchowski Bro's multiple dips with the Matrix or Tarantino's decision to split one film into two. Forever have the faithful claimed that Jackson was not out for money. Well guess what? He is. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I hope that King Kong is great, because he will learn, like Lucas, Tarantino, the Warchowskis and others that there is a good portion of the fanbase that loves to build someone up only to tear them down later.

This is no different at all.
Old 01-14-05, 01:09 PM

Seeing that I have spent approx. $240.00 on the three Theatrical Releases and the three Gift sets (not to mention shelling out extra for Minas Morgul), I'll probably still bite. I can't get enough. Those special features sound sweet. I bet he digitally changes Gollum in Fellowship also.
Old 01-14-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
This is not New Line's choice. It is PJ's.
That's a pretty definitive statement to make based on one article (in USA Today, no less). Especially with the following: "where he revealed that they still want to develop". Now, if what you were saying was true, the sentence would be "where he revealed that he still wants to develop". With an undefined pronoun like "they" in that sentence, you simply can not say whose decision it is. So while I agree with you that people are too quick to point the finger at New Line, you're too quick to point the finger at Jackson.

All that aside, this really sounds like one of those slow news day articles where they selectively quote something a director says in passing during a press conference [like when they "announced" that Sony was doing a Spider-Man 2.5 extended cut and the story warped over the course of a week to (among others) "Sam Raimi is re-doing Spider-Man 2", "Sony is going to add stuff in without Raimi's involvement", "Raimi isn't happy with Spider-Man 2", and a dozen others] to make it sound like there's this huge news right on the horizon. I think it's a little early to get bent out of shape about something which is a possible intention, especially since Peter Jackson has, in interviews, *consistently* (long before LotR) discussed releasing all of his old movies with feature-length documentaries shot on the sets. To date, only the one for 'The Frighteners' has been released in any format. ["Good Taste Made Bad Taste" is *not* the doc that Jackson & his friends shot on 'Bad Taste'.]
Old 01-14-05, 03:06 PM
Banned

I've always wanted to see ALL of the deleted scenes...I look forward to this...it'd be nice if perhaps instead of all of us who have already bought all three EE's, that he could simply offer the extra disc or two with all the deleted scenes seperately.
Old 01-14-05, 03:40 PM
Retired

No big deal. Nothing on there I'm too excited about. I'm not big on extras. Watch them once if that, even on these movies. So I'll probably just rent this set and check out the extras, and wait to rebuy the EEs when (and if) they hit HD assuming I have an HDTV by then.
Old 01-14-05, 03:46 PM
Cool New Member

I assume the deleted scenes will have gotten the "treatment" - all the digital stuff done for them, etc. That'll be pretty sweet.
Old 01-14-05, 03:51 PM

I'd very much like to see the deleted scenes, bloopers, and new documentary (though I thought the super-long documentary on the current EEs was fantastic), but I might wait for the next (HD) format to get this, so it's more of an all-around upgrade.
Old 01-14-05, 04:55 PM
Cool New Member

Well I dont like at all what George Lucas does but I'd be suprised if PJ doesnt go back at some point and make Gollum in FOTR look like Gollum in the others, since this was before they had cast Andy Serkis and he was completely cg...and looks slightly different. But I dont care either way if they make that change...I love these films. And wouldn't mind buying them again in several years as long as something of value is offered (deleted scenes, bloopers are always welcome)
Old 01-14-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll see if I bite. It's sounding pretty appealing since I've been interested in seeing the documentaries by Costa Botes since I first heard of them a few years ago. Bloopers sound sweet. And I think I'd pay just to see the deleted epilogue sequence.
Old 01-14-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

chess

3. rebates

Agreed ... not to mention the incredibly reasonable pricing for these sets to boot. I have no problem with future releases that include more stuff if NL handles it the way they've done so far. Maybe I'll buy them, maybe not, but the way these initial releases have been handled, one would have to be incredibly petty to complain about it.

Qui Gon Jim

This is not New Line's choice. It is PJ's.
You're kidding, right?

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 01-14-05 at 10:50 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.