Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Letting people borrow DVDs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Letting people borrow DVDs?

Old 05-02-07, 02:21 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 19,097
Received 264 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
But anyone showing me that level of disrespect in my own home deserves it.
I wouldn't have thrown her out (which you wouldn't do either) and it wouldn't have been worth it to throw a big fuss in front of guests. We were all having a great time before she showed up and I didn't feel like ruining the mood.

It just annoys me that I was very polite in saying that she could not borrow them. But I guess since we are "friends" it's ok to make me look completely stupid in front of my guests and take my movies anyway.

I love my friends there is no doubt about that. But the thing is all my "true" friends have a level of respect for me and my things (as I do for theirs). Just 2 weeks ago a friend (of 5 years) asked to borrow my Band of Brothers set. I apologized to him saying no, because it was a gift. He left it at that and didn't constantly bug me about it. I have lent stuff out to him before, graphic novels, TV sets, DVDs, games, etc, so it wasn't that I was being super anal about it.

Originally Posted by kaze0
How do you know this girl?
We used to work together. This was maybe 2 months ago. I've only known her for maybe 8 months maybe.
Old 05-02-07, 02:49 PM
  #127  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crs
The lawnmower comparison isn't really good. A lawnmower can take a hell of a beating and still work just fine. That's not the same with a fragile DVD. Sure, it can withstand pretty rough handling too, but speaking personally, I don't like to see a single tiny scratch on my DVDs but I don't care if there are a million rusty scratches on my lawnmower. So I never lend out my DVDs. Ever. But my neighbours use my lawnmower.
The only reason I went with the lawnmower analogy is because recently a neighbor was complaining about having lent his lawnmower to another neighbor, who cut his wet grass with it at the end of last year, resulting in rusted blades.

The comparison was to illustrate the fact that people who borrow your things don't take as good a care of it as they should, whether it be a lawnmower or a DVD. If I let someone borrow something, I expect it back in the condition I gave it to them.
Old 05-02-07, 03:35 PM
  #128  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Sounds like you could do with a little education there. Try starting with Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations the first document that really lays out the basis for capitalism. You may be surprised to find that, "It's my property and I can do whatever I want with it." is not one of his arguments.

As for your visceral, expletive-laden defensive reactions to my posts, seems more like I touched a nerve of defensiveness there more than anything else. You might want to look inward on that one a bit.

And once again I have to say that with your stellar condescending attitude, it's amazing that you haven't managed to convert any of us. Maybe if you tell us once again what a great person you are and what sad greedy pieces of shit we are, it'll work?

But hey, if feeling that lending out your DVD's makes you such a great human being, if you have such a low opinion of yourself that you have to use that as your benchmark, then you certainly have my pity.

Maybe you should look into this capitalism thing some more, because if you want to relate this to capitalism, one should be renting out their private property and making money off of it, not giving it out. You're thinking of charity. Go back to school.
Old 05-02-07, 03:42 PM
  #129  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 65
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
The bigger your collection, the more money you are wasting having all those movies sit on the shelf, collecting dust. Movies are meant to be watched, not made into a pseudo-shrine of holy purity.

So what if a couple of discs get scratched all to hell or totally lost? Unless all your friends are total scumbags, those cases will be the exception and in the meantime you've made the world a better place by sharing with everyone else.

One totally unexpected benefit I've experienced with freely sharing my collection is that people are often so grateful that they will just randomly give me DVDs to add to my collection. Sometimes they are crappy fool-screen, direct to video titles that aren't woth the polycarbonate they are stamped in, but sometimes they are top-quality releases. Maybe that's just karma.

This thread made me think that there were not any sane DVDTalkers; I'm happy to say that this post made me realize that atleast there was one.

Material things fade folks.

Last edited by Jgh8x; 05-02-07 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-02-07, 04:01 PM
  #130  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
SoSpacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Jersey
Posts: 4,238
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jgh8x
This thread made me think that there were not any sane DVDTalkers; I'm happy to say that this post made me realize that atleast there was one.

Material things fade folks.

I would rather buy someone a DVD than lend it to them if I know they dont care care of stuff.

It is not about material things, or being selfish, etc.
Old 05-02-07, 04:02 PM
  #131  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the record I will usually loan out DVDs to anyone who asks, as long as I haven't had a problem with them in the past.

Now the reason for my post - hired a painter to do some work in my house, and most of the time I was not there. Come to find out, he was taking DVDs home, making copies of them, and returning them the next day. He never asked or said anything about it. That really pissed me off when I found out.
Old 05-02-07, 04:19 PM
  #132  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,742
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread reminded me of the site: I'm Not Blockbuster You Cheap Bastard You!
Old 05-02-07, 04:38 PM
  #133  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a river in a kayak..where else?
Posts: 4,949
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changed? Hell no. Because I still don't smoke crack.

No. My dvds(or kayaks, or bongs, or..) do NOT leave my home without me. I'm still a selfish(smart) sonofabitch. Get a life...and a job....and buy yer own shit.
Old 05-02-07, 05:19 PM
  #134  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,400
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
I loan out only to friends and family, and only one DVD per person (although I do count a Boxed Set as "one").
Old 05-02-07, 05:20 PM
  #135  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the Great Salt Lake
Posts: 1,400
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just impressed that we managed to turn this into a moral issue.

I've always wanted to be the type of person who engages in "aberrant behavior." Thanks to this thread, I know that I have been engaging in that sort of behavior for the past four or five years, since I refuse to loan out my DVDs to all but my two or three closest friends.

I'm so happy to be aberrant. It saves me money, too.

Edit: And sanity is overrated.

Last edited by Sondheim; 05-02-07 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-02-07, 07:30 PM
  #136  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,136
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forget about borrowing. I actually had one co-worker try to shame me into GIVING them my Disney DVDs because their little girl would enjoy them. (I'm sure she would, but she's not my daughter.)

As for all these poor DVD starved folks who want to sponge off of others, maybe someone can start a "DVDs for the Cheap" charity drive to feed all those starving DVD players that live in such a hard, heartless world.
Old 05-02-07, 07:33 PM
  #137  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody touches my collection except me. That's why there is Netflix!
Old 05-02-07, 07:57 PM
  #138  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
onebyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,049
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just reading about people borrowing dvds makes me nervous. Unless you are a small group of people I really trust, I am damn sure not loaning out my DVDs. No way.
Old 05-02-07, 08:01 PM
  #139  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 381
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only to my mom
Old 05-02-07, 08:07 PM
  #140  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 3,381
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
And once again I have to say that with your stellar condescending attitude, it's amazing that you haven't managed to convert any of us. Maybe if you tell us once again what a great person you are and what sad greedy pieces of shit we are, it'll work?
Actually I have never once said that my free lending makes me a "great person" or any of the other strawmen you've claimed. When the "cost" of being a good neighbor is the occasional $15 hit to the wallet, it is EASY to be a good neighbor. You don't see me advocating that people lend their cars or their houses to anyone that asks - its people like that who are willing to put something substantial on the line that are deserving of accolades.

I've just got a sense of proportion, and see no value in being focused on the trivial. Perhaps $15 is not trivial for you, in which case you probably don't have a particularly large DVD collection and your silly tirades have been moot from the start. Probably explains your baseless indignation about being condescended to, too -- but NOW you have some base, congratulations.

Maybe you should look into this capitalism thing some more, because if you want to relate this to capitalism, one should be renting out their private property and making money off of it, not giving it out. You're thinking of charity. Go back to school
I long ago did a cost benefit analysis and decided that charging anything wasn't worth the overhead, especially since it gives the renter a sense of entitlement, causes a loss of good will and brings up problems with lending to people at the office - doing "business" on company time, after overhead and hassles it ends up costing more than just lending them out freely, which is also a lot more satisifying.
Old 05-02-07, 08:16 PM
  #141  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 3,381
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by me12321
I'm so happy to be aberrant. It saves me money, too.
Congratulations. As a extremely strong believer in private property, I support your aberrant behavior for the greater good, just like being a strong believer in the freedom of expression means supporting people like Andres Serrano for the greater good and supporting people who criticism Serrano.
Old 05-02-07, 09:38 PM
  #142  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Actually I have never once said that my free lending makes me a "great person" or any of the other strawmen you've claimed.
Sure you have, with your little "makes the world a better place" comment. Just as you have repeatedly insinuated that there is something wrong with the rest of us because we don't lend our personal property out to whomever asks - which is saying that you're better because you do give yours out. You're being a condescending jerk, which is why you are getting this type of response from me. See, I don't give a damn what you do with your personal property... it's just very sad that you can't give that same sort of respect back.


I've just got a sense of proportion, and see no value in being focused on the trivial.
What you have is a personal opinion and preference. The problem is that you are acting like those of us that do not share this opinion are lesser people, which means you come off like a condescending ass. Thus, once again, the reason that you're not converting anyone to your way of thinking.


Perhaps $15 is not trivial for you, in which case you probably don't have a particularly large DVD collection
My collection? Around 1300 titles, give or take 50. The store I OWN that deals in new and used DVD's? Around 2000 titles. So yeah... nice attempt at making one of those strawmen you accused me of using. You're wrong. Again.

What is not trivial for me is my personal property. I won't give it out to people that won't respect it. Something that you repeatedly refuse to listen to.



I long ago did a cost benefit analysis and decided that charging anything wasn't worth the overhead, especially since it gives the renter a sense of entitlement, causes a loss of good will and brings up problems with lending to people at the office - doing "business" on company time, after overhead and hassles it ends up costing more than just lending them out freely, which is also a lot more satisifying.
Nice attempt at a dodge. You brought capitalism into this, and you got your ass handed to you for it. Next time know what you're talking about before shooting your mouth off.

Leave the attitude behind in the future. I'm not going to entertain your little ego-stroking fest, and I'm not interested in dealing with you again until you can grow up and realize that just because I don't treat my personal property the way you think I should, that doesn't make me a lesser person than you.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 05-03-07 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-02-07, 11:03 PM
  #143  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Congratulations. As a extremely strong believer in private property, I support your aberrant behavior for the greater good, just like being a strong believer in the freedom of expression means supporting people like Andres Serrano for the greater good and supporting people who criticism Serrano.
See, it's remarks like this, coupled with the remarks you've made in an attempt to support your position, that make it seem like you're going out of your way to exude an intellect that, really, has zero to do with the topic of discussion.

I don't think anyone can argue with you anymore, because I don't think anyone knows what the hell you're talking about. Maybe that's the idea.
Old 05-03-07, 10:54 AM
  #144  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,352
Likes: 0
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well i have always been someone that will lend a DVD as long as the person borrowing treats it with respect. I am close to breaking point now however because of a few lends that have pissed me off. I lent a guy a copy of Boogie Nights and he had it for 18 months and didn't even get round to watching the movie. Hes a good mate but boy was i pissed off. He had actually lent the film himself to his brother. Now i get along with his brother, but he didn't even to bother asking me if he could...he just went ahead and did it. I am about to implement a procedure that is similar to any DVD rental. Must be kept in good condition and returned in a timely fashion. If i ever borrow anything at all i only keep it for a short time and return it as quickly as possible in the same condition i received it. Too many people that just don't give a shit about other peoples property.
Old 05-03-07, 11:26 AM
  #145  
DVD Talk Legend
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 10,919
Received 186 Likes on 131 Posts
Not any more I don't just like I don't borrow friends money anymore...
Old 05-03-07, 11:45 AM
  #146  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to be a little more anal about it and not loan them out much, but I have recently stopped buying dvds, and all of the sudden I don't find myself being as protective of the ones I do have.
Old 05-03-07, 11:50 AM
  #147  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: My Car
Posts: 6,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Congratulations. As a extremely strong believer in private property, I support your aberrant behavior for the greater good, just like being a strong believer in the freedom of expression means supporting people like Andres Serrano for the greater good and supporting people who criticism Serrano.
How does someone criticism Serrano
Old 05-03-07, 01:47 PM
  #148  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 530
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ten Commandments of DVD Lending (many of which have been mentioned by posters above):

Do not loan OOP DVD's

Do not loan DVD's that you have not yet watched (like many, I have an unwatched backlog and I just don't like the idea of loaning out something I have not even seen yet)

Do not loan boxed sets or tv seasons (they take too long to be returned and there is a higher chance of discs/packaging being damaged)

Do not loan more than one movie at a time to a borrower (this makes it easier to track what is on loan. Also, by experience, I have found that when people borrow a stack of films, they remain gone for one month per DVD borrowed).

Do not loan a DVD in its original case. (Instead, keep some generic loaner cases around for the loaned disc.)

Do not recommend that someone borrow a movie from you because you think they will like it (This perhaps is a human nature thing, but I have found that when I recommend or hype a movie to someone to any degree as something I think they will like and then loan it to them, it takes them forever to get around to watching it. Thus, I either have terrible taste or folks simply prefer to "discover" films on their own. I know I am guilty of this when someone gives me a book to read that they know I will love. It usually takes me a while to get around to reading it . . . So, if someone, on their own, expresses an interest in seeing a movie that I happen to have, I don't mind offering to loan it to them. Those get watched and returned much faster.)

Do not fail to give an expected return date. (I have made the mistake of saying "no hurry" when asked by a borrower when the DVD should be returned. I now say, "If you could get it back within two weeks, that would be great.")

Do not loan a DVD to anyone who you do not know well and see on a regular basis. Regular basis for me is once a week.

Do not display your collection on open racks. This invites borrowing requests from folks to whom you would rather not loan. I keep my collection in Can-Am cabinets, which were worth every penny.

Do not give second chances to borrowers who abuse your trust and fail to return/damage/lose your property. (I had to cut off lending to a good friend who taught me many of the above rules. We're still good friends, but I do not lend him DVD's anymore.)
Old 05-03-07, 02:41 PM
  #149  
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent Loc Nar ... sounds like a must-read sticky to me!
Old 05-04-07, 01:15 PM
  #150  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will lend most of my DVD's out. Yes, even the OOP ones (T2, MIB). All I ask is that people keep the disc and case in good condition, and they oblige. Besides, I will probably upgrade to HD-DVD in a few years, so it's not like they have a whole lot of resale value. Christ, the market is diluted enough as it is.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.