Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do I keep buying them...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why do I keep buying them...

Old 12-29-04, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making 2hrs in a day, couple of times a week to watch few movise isn't too hard, but making time to play my Xbox is much hardar. I have 10 unfinished games
Old 12-29-04, 04:26 PM

About 20% of my collection has gone unwatched (meaning I've never seen the movie/TV show), but I'm using my semester break to catch up; until then, I'm not buying anymore DVDs that I haven't seen before. That's just me, though.

Too bad I go back to school in a hair under two weeks.
Old 12-29-04, 06:33 PM

Why? Because you can't STOP! They're like crack. DVDs are planning world domination!!11!
Old 12-29-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Initially, I used to take a portable DVD player to work and watch as much as I could at lunch. Then It caught on so well that I could actually have it playing while I was working. Stopping of course when whatever I was doing demanded 100% of my attention. My boss would actually watch with me at lunch. He understood my addiction and would have me pick him up "Tuesday-Titles" as well when I chose to shop at lunch rather than "watch".
Old 12-29-04, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do it because I'm still building a library. others do it for whatever reason. until the library is close to complete....I'll keep buying.

I buy close to 10 a week, run my biz anywhere from 50 to 70 hours a week, and still have time to viddey. time management. a typical day would be: get up at 6:30am, work until 7pm, come home and either take the wife out to dinner or prepare it myself, relax and then have sex for a few hours....then watch dvds and work my library until about 2am. I usually get in 2 films and a little time on the computer.

the key for me? keep the wife happy. the rest falls into place.
Old 12-29-04, 08:30 PM
Banned

I put it this way: DVD's are like alcohol, you can never have enough! Well...until you throw up, but that's a whole nother topic.
Old 12-29-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been so proud of myself, selling tons of DVDs (probably over 200) this year, yet the unwatched list and the total count is growing rapidly. I am kind of hoping for a deal dry spell. I try to get in two a night. I can usually watch 10 each week, but that is not enough since I may buy more than that some weeks. TV on DVD is what kills me. When I got Sopranos Season 1-4 I watched continually for almost two weeks. Put me way behind on movies.
Old 12-30-04, 12:52 AM

I have that problem too, I guess Im just so determined to collect all the dvds on my wish list. I havent watched all the ones I bought yet. But I figure that if I can atleast watch my whole collection year after year then Im still entitled to buy dvds at will...even if it drives my mom crazy!
Old 12-30-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
a typical day would be: get up at 6:30am, work until 7pm, come home and either take the wife out to dinner or prepare it myself, relax and then have sex for a few hours....

...is your wife aware of your sex olympics? ....or am I not allowed to ask here?

Pro-B
Old 12-30-04, 01:19 PM
Retired

I've never had that problem, but then again I've had a player since 1998 and only have 162 DVDs.

I just buy movies I really like and want to watch (usually right away). Never been much for "collecting" things.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 12-30-04 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 01:39 PM

I have no idea what you fellows are complaining about. I don't think any of you have a problem.
Austin
Old 12-30-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have 829 and still counting every time I go out. 14% I haven't seen,16% I haven't watched since I got them on DVD. Just sad.
Old 12-30-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
There probably 10-15 $5.88 Wal-Mart DVD's I have that I haven't watched and probably never will. They just seemed like a good value at the time.

That's what gets to me about consumerism.

You THINK you're getting a good deal, when you're inherently paying for something you're never gonna actually lose.

That's why I never buy crap.
Old 12-30-04, 03:37 PM
ams

I admit to have bought a few "bargain bin" films. There are some good finds out there, in my opinion. Resevior Dogs, Thin Red Line, To Live and Die in LA, Boondock Saints.....all great flicks.
Old 12-30-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
I have hundreds of DVDs I haven't watched yet, but it doesn't me as I'm immortal and will live for thousands of years...

It's those damn commentaries & special features that are making me fall behind so badly, I doubt I'll ever catch up.
Old 12-30-04, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
...is your wife aware of your sex olympics? ....or am I not allowed to ask here?

Pro-B
she should be....she's the one that passes out afterwards which leads me to a cool down with the nuns.
Old 12-31-04, 04:20 PM

I know the feeling at last count over a month ago had over 50 of about 300 or about 17% that was unwatched not even counting those pesky tv dvd. I was able to catch up alot on the tv boxsets over the summer when nothing was on tv. But i watch a fair amount of tv. I have considered just giving up current shows that put out dvds epspiecally so soon after wrapping the season such as Alias and Smallville but hasn't happened yet. I do love looking at the collection and knowing I don't have to deal with blockbuster. I love collecting and it started when I was 8 and got some baseball cards.
Old 12-31-04, 05:59 PM
Banned

I usually watch at least one DVD per day during the week, and four over the weekend because I work second shift, and only have limited time. And I also have a gigantic collection ( over one thousand titles) and I know exactly what your going through. Do the best you can with your viewing.
When DVDs were first introduce in the year of 1997, I use to buy every new release weekly, but after I begin to realize that I have purchased a lot of awful movies, then I begin to be more selective on my DVD buying. And also, It's can be an expensive addiction.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 12-31-04 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
IMO, it is normal and healthy to have a certain percentage of unviewed discs in a collection. One of the benefits of having a collection is being able to watch something you haven't seen yet WHEN you want to! If you have watched your entire collection and are in the mood to watch a movie, then you will have no choice to but to watch a disc you've already seen (since you wouldn't have any unwatched discs) or you'll have to shlep out to Blockbuster (which defeats one of the reasons for having a collection in the first place).
Old 12-31-04, 08:52 PM

ams. For some reason, I seem to be dealing with that. Before Christmas I needed to watch the Bond Collection, Blazing Saddles, Knight Rider, Godfather Collection, Martin Scorsese Collection, and Return of the King.

Now I need to to fit in Wild at Heart, Ed Wood, Species, Shrek 2, Mask, I, Robot, Hellboy, Elf, Collateral, Bourne Supremecy, Anchorman, and Spidy 2.
Old 12-31-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nothing like being addicted to something
Old 01-01-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Same boat here. I keep promising I'll catch up on some unwatched DVDs before buying more but I'm like an alchoholic with an open beer, maybe just one sip. Before I know it I've picked up 5 or 6 more. Most of what I buy is used so the price reels me in and the rationale that it may be gone next time I'm there seals the deal.

Picking up a portable DVD player has helped a little. Now when I go on business trips I'll take along a couple movies. Not the same as Home Theater but I at least feel as though I didn't fall further behind.
Old 01-01-05, 11:06 AM

HELLO, my name is aspikes and I am a DVDcollectoraholic. I am working step one right now. I have 70 unwatched movies and half a tv series (Star Blazers series one and yes I am loving ever second of it. It has been 24ish years since I have seen it).
Old 01-01-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shoot, I have unopened copies of this movie or that movie but as I know I love the movie I have no guilt over them sitting on my shelves.....what's the big deal?
Old 01-01-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just like Y2K be prepared

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.