Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I got ONLY Full Screen DVD's for Christmas...........

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 04:21 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update.......................

I talked with my family about this today and instead of me driving the 100 miles to the nearest Wal Mart, they are just going to re buy me the DVD's and let me keep the full screen ones. I will most likely just EBAY the full screens or take them back to Wal Mart and get other DVD's I want. This way I *could* possibly end up with almost 100 NEW widescreen DVD's instead of the original 6 widescreens and 44 full screens. Thanks everyone for the help. Now I will just have to find the time to watch all of these great titles!
Old 12-27-04, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ronricks
Where you bad this year?

I talked with my family about this today and instead of me driving the 100 miles to the nearest Wal Mart, they are just going to re buy me the DVD's and let me keep the full screen ones. I will most likely just EBAY the full screens or take them back to Wal Mart and get other DVD's I want. This way I *could* possibly end up with almost 100 NEW widescreen DVD's instead of the original 6 widescreens and 44 full screens. Thanks everyone for the help. Now I will just have to find the time to watch all of these great titles!
If it were me and my family agreed to replace all of the non-widescreen DVDs I'd give the originals back. It wouldn't be fair to make them pay twice for a mistake, besides it's the holiday season and 50 dvds can add up to quite a bit of money.

Last edited by rdodolak; 12-27-04 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-04, 04:45 PM

hehe walmat what a joke. Guess you should let them know you only want widescreen next year, but enjoy your 50 movies anyways.
Old 12-27-04, 05:37 PM

Definitely don't open them and keep them in shrinkwrap.

If you do 5 at a time (ie, walmart, target, supermarkets), you might be able to exchange them all. You might call Best Buy or Circuit City but they are really strict about receipts.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Must be nice to have a family that'll fork over almost 100 new DVDs!
Old 12-27-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least its all gonna work out for you. That's cool that you get to keep him. Sell them on eBay, they sell for more money than widescreen.
Old 12-27-04, 07:09 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
At least its all gonna work out for you. That's cool that you get to keep him. Sell them on eBay, they sell for more money than widescreen.
Are you serious? What is the deal with people and FULLSCREEN? I guess us DVD collectors are a small minority?
Old 12-27-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only GAVE full screen DVDs for Christmas.

(Buffy Season 1 and Futurama.)
Old 12-27-04, 07:54 PM
Banned

Are you serious? What is the deal with people and FULLSCREEN? I guess us DVD collectors are a small minority?
Well, I'd say that those who would pay more for FS on eBay are the same type that the Wal Mart employee referred to. Those who hate WS so much that when wal Mart is sold out of FS, they'd pay anything for FS. Sheesh, I remember when I used to drive 50 miles to a Suncoast to pay $20+ a pop for WS VHS!

Like I said earlier, I can't believe the level of ignorance that is still out there about the difference between FS & WS. The thing is, these are the type of people who flock to movie theaters for some of the dumbest movies Hollywood pumps out. I know, my aunt is one of them. So you'd think that they could tell the difference between a long rectangle and a "square".

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-27-04 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 08:02 PM

Well for 50 free DVDS you can't complain, you did well

FREAKIn 50!!

could always ebay the ones you don't want
Old 12-27-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, i love my wife and her pre Christmas crusade to make sure all relatives bought me only widescreen dvds...
Old 12-27-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Yep, my town is worse...our K-Mart was one of those stores that was forced to close about 10 years ago. It never saw a DVD on its racks.

We used to have a *On Cue* store which was a sister store to Suncoast, but again was forced to close due to a landlord that charged exhorbant rent prices.

Our only DVD outlet is Wal Mart, Family Video, and another local rental store. This is why I get over 90% of my DVDs on-line.

The nearest Best Buy is 40 miles away, the nearest Target about 25 miles away. So I just pay UPS or the USPS and extra couple of bucks to bring DVDs to my door.
Scary... Mike Lowrey, sounds like you're living in a parallel shopping hell akin to mine! We've never had an On Cue however. My closest Best Buy is 30 miles and Target and Circuit City are across the street from it.
Old 12-27-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Must be nice to have a family that'll fork over almost 100 new DVDs!

No shit.......so youre going to wind up getting another $700 or so worth of gifts from your family and theyre gonna be out somewhere around $1400 just to make you happy?

Last edited by nightmaster; 01-01-05 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is exactly why i dont ask for dvds for Christmas although i didnt mind the Futureshop/Best Buy giftcards i got which have already been turned into dvds
Old 12-27-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Wow. I felt bad that I only got Dodgeball, which I thought sucked,
I'll take it.

If there is also a Fool Screen version of a movie DVD I want for Christmas, I ALWAYS specify WIDESCREEN right next to the title on my list.
Old 12-31-04, 10:00 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by rdodolak
Where you bad this year?

If it were me and my family agreed to replace all of the non-widescreen DVDs I'd give the originals back. It wouldn't be fair to make them pay twice for a mistake, besides it's the holiday season and 50 dvds can add up to quite a bit of money.
I agree, you should at least offer to give the FS DVDs back. Chances are they still have the original receipts and can get the money back.
Old 12-31-04, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nightmaster
No shit.......so youre going to wind up getting another $700 or so worth of gifts from your family and theyre gonna be out somewhere around $1400 to make you happy?
Thats just insane imo. I would have just kept the fullscreen dvd's and worked it out myself, either by selling them or trading them, instead of whining to my family about it. Just shocks me how ungratefull some seem to be.
Old 12-31-04, 03:34 PM

Am I the only one who is struggling with this whole story? (rhetorical question)
Old 12-31-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm. You can always re-gift them to other friends (on their birthdays, if you typically give them presents) or re-gift them back to your relatives. Just make sure you don't give them the exact same dvds they gave you.

Think "bread maker" from Old School.
Old 12-31-04, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by viking99
Am I the only one who is struggling with this whole story?
Nope.
Old 12-31-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Am I the only one who is struggling with this whole story? (rhetorical question)
Definitely not.
Old 12-31-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
Hmm. You can always re-gift them to other friends (on their birthdays, if you typically give them presents) or re-gift them back to your relatives. Just make sure you don't give them the exact same dvds they gave you.

Think "bread maker" from Old School.
You just explained one reference with another reference. That's like defining a slang term by using other slang terms.
Old 01-01-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope! This person should just be grateful that they got such great gifts and quit their bitchin'!
Old 01-01-05, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ben12
You just explained one reference with another reference. That's like defining a slang term by using other slang terms.
Cool.

And now for my next trick...
Old 01-01-05, 06:52 AM
Banned

sorry, but your an ass...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.