Do U Buy or Rent?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do U Buy or Rent?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 11:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I still buy a fair amount (though not nearly as much as in years past). I still rent on a regular basis as well. Maybe only 2 DVDs a month though.
Old 12-27-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy only. I live too far from stores (50 miles round trip) to rent easily, and Netflix was pretty expensive with a slow turnaround time for me when I tried it four years ago.

For DVDs that don't have much "rewatchability" I usually do a "watch and sell". More often than not I make about what I paid for the DVD, or more, and even when I lose a little it is less than the cost of a rental. I am a pretty good judge of what I like so most DVDs I buy are keepers.

It helps that my average cost is well under $10 for single DVDs and well under 50% of MSRP for sets. If I had to pay $15 to $20 per DVD, like so many do, it would be different.

I'd rather watch a DVD I really like again than something new that I don't much care for. My neighbors are the opposite: they will hardly ever watch anything twice. So, they own few DVDs and mostly do Netflix.
Old 12-27-04, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rent online, way easier then having to go to the video store. I generally always see a movie first before I buy...I also see a lot in the theatre. If I didnt do that so often I might be able to afford more dvds
Old 12-27-04, 04:25 PM

Mainly rent, though I buy the occasional disc here and there. My local video store lets you get an older movie free with new release rental, so you walk out the door with two DVD rentals for $2.62. With so many movies to still see, I can't justify buying films when rentals are still at those prices.
Old 12-27-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can rent DVDs?--Joking.

I buy what appears interesting. I?ve about 900 now and 20-30 % are blind buys. The majority of the blind buys were either to fill a director?s work, or they were based on reviews from people that have the similar tastes in films. That was how I discovered Akira Kurosawa or Takashi Miike (to list two extremes).