Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Midnite Movies Double Features

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THE MAD MAGICIAN is a Columbia film, so it would be owned by Sony.

Even if it was on DVD, it would likely be a flattened out 2-D version only anyway. Even if it is is a poor man's HOUSE OF WAX, it still holds up as great fun when seen in the original, dual projector polarized/clear glasses 3-D form. They screened it that way at the 2003 and 2006 World 3-D Film Expos, and I was very impressed. The horrible anaglyph version created for TV 25 years ago is awful, but the original was stunning. It was even a brand new print, fresh fom the lab.
Old 03-13-08, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M.
If anyone wants the Comedy of Terrors/The Raven dvd, Movies Unlimited has them for sale. Price is $29.99 right now. I just bought it for $14.99 last week from them. Price must have gone up after I bought it. There's a limit of one per customer and it is indeed a brand new copy.
I just checked and its NOW $49.99 each.....crazy.
Old 03-14-08, 04:50 AM
Suspended

I'm so glad I got all the Midnight Movies I needed when I first heard they were going OOP, but they've been in and out of OOPness so many damn times, I would imagine many people are pulling their hair out.
Old 04-21-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Midnite Movies Double Features

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does this line still exist? I just pulled out a few of the titles to watch over the weekend and I was wondering if 2007 was the last batch that came out.

They still have a really cool website http://www.midnitemoviesdvd.com/ but it doesn't seem to have been updated in a while and doesn't even list all the titles that are available.

Last edited by Living Dead; 04-21-09 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-21-09, 05:54 PM

DVD Drive-In just a few days ago reported on the problem with Fox's reluctance to continue the series (despite having a number of fine new transfers ready to go) and is encouraging an email writing campaign here:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/i...campaign09.htm
Old 04-22-09, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does this line still exist? I just pulled out a few of the titles to watch over the weekend and I was wondering if 2007 was the last batch that came out.

They still have a really cool website http://www.midnitemoviesdvd.com/ but it doesn't seem to have been updated in a while and doesn't even list all the titles that are available.
Don't be sorry, its a question many of us are wondering about. The website has had zero activity and supposedly the last batch of titles were disappointing to Fox-MGM from a sales standpoint so we are back in the tank again. Best thing to do is send emails and sign the petition at the DVD Drive-In website....and buy remaining titles.

And yes, some OOP titles have resurfaced again, driving people crazy who spent serious bucks on titles like THE RAVEN/COMEDY OF TERRORS on eBay....although it seems to be some sort of limited or selective source releases since many online retailers still don't carry them.
Old 04-22-09, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcosa

And yes, some OOP titles have resurfaced again, driving people crazy who spent serious bucks on titles like THE RAVEN/COMEDY OF TERRORS on eBay....although it seems to be some sort of limited or selective source releases since many online retailers still don't carry them.
They probably run across a box full at some warehouse from time to time and offer them to some retailer to take them off their hands.

Didn't they find a warehouse full of early 60s Near Mint Marvel Comics sometime in the '80s.
Old 04-22-09, 11:43 AM

I'm not surprised the last batch sold poorly, I don't think I ever saw a single title in a store.
Old 04-22-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Plus lack of any type promotion...

The *only* store around here in which I've seen any of these titles is Big Lots on a close out rack. But that holds true for just about any title other than the current "top 50" or so. The only back catalog or "cult" type titles seem to arrive totally by accident. It's one of many reasons I no longer actively look for DVDs at local merchants and only go in when someone here posts a deal they've found.
Old 04-22-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Oldies.com has a whole lot of these on sale for 6.99. Their inventory system is, shall we say, rather old-fashioned and a lot of people refuse to do business with them, but I've always had pretty good luck. There are a couple of threads in the bargains forum.
Old 04-22-09, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Oldies.com has a whole lot of these on sale for 6.99
I've used Oldies once or twice from some MMs, and while shipping took awhile, the pricing was great and the DVDs themselves were in perfect condition. If you don't mind waiting, they're a good option.
Old 04-22-09, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Forrester
I've used Oldies once or twice from some MMs, and while shipping took awhile, the pricing was great and the DVDs themselves were in perfect condition. If you don't mind waiting, they're a good option.
Lets face it, the retail outlet for DVD selection is pretty much non-existent these days. Best Buy has less and less in stores, Wal-Mart has always been pretty limited, etc....with most of the CD/DVD chains gone now, there is very little left. FRY'S ELECTRONICS has about the best on the shelf selection I know of, and I live about 30 minutes from an AMOEBA RECORDS store and a little over an hour from DVD PLANET here in SoCal.

Most folks are not that lucky.
Old 04-22-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.edwardrhamilton.com has some of the older, single title Midnite Movies for $7.95
Old 04-22-09, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond
I'm not surprised the last batch sold poorly, I don't think I ever saw a single title in a store.
It doesn't help that Best Buy had a deal to release most of the last batch as two seperate box sets and they released it weeks after the street date of the individual titles. This meant loyal buyers went in Best Buy stores on the street date asking for these titles, and the perplexed clerks didn't have them in the computer, causing the customer to buy them elsewhere. Then as usual without any press, the box sets were on shelves weeks later.
Old 04-23-09, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel McKenzey
It doesn't help that Best Buy had a deal to release most of the last batch as two seperate box sets and they released it weeks after the street date of the individual titles. This meant loyal buyers went in Best Buy stores on the street date asking for these titles, and the perplexed clerks didn't have them in the computer, causing the customer to buy them elsewhere. Then as usual without any press, the box sets were on shelves weeks later.
I remember that. I had already ordered the DVD's online and was pissed when I learned about the box sets. At least I got them all though.
Old 04-23-09, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I remember that. I had already ordered the DVD's online and was pissed when I learned about the box sets. At least I got them all though.
Yeah it would really suck if this series had to end for good because of stupid marketing decisions (releasing box sets in stores weeks after the street date of the individual releases without telling anyone beforeheand) like this!
Old 04-26-09, 11:42 AM

Nothing from MGM this Halloween, I can't take it!
Old 10-23-10, 05:13 PM

Just so everyone knows, I was casting around the web trying to find a reasonably priced copy of the OOP double feature of "The Comedy of Terrors" and "The Raven" (to complete my Corman/Poe cycle), when I saw that it was listed as IN STOCK at Amazon.ca (these are the same Region 1 discs as sold in the U.S., of course). There was a backorder of 9-12 days, which raised a red flag, but I figured, "What the heck?" and placed an order. I got the shipping notice a few days later, and the brand new DVD arrived today! I checked the website today, and now even the 9-12 days notice is gone -- it just says IN STOCK. So for anyone in the U.S. who missed this title and doesn't mind paying a little extra for shipping, you can stop trolling eBay and get this DVD at the original retail price!