Reload this Page >

I'm In The 50 Dvd Club Now!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I'm In The 50 Dvd Club Now!

Old 12-15-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Austin54
I'm between 5500 and 6000 now. Maybe a bit more.
Austin
you are my new god. all hail lord Austin!!!!

I see you don't have a DVDAf list, is it because it would take you years to enter them all? I think I asked you this before, but in case I didn't, where do you keep them all? I had an extra bedroom that is now wall to wall racks and I'm running out of room.
Old 12-15-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's only just begun for you Kornboy, and as for your choice of movies, you like what you like regardless of who feels they are treasures or trash. Lord knows I have some of evvvvverything in my archives
Old 12-15-04, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Kangaroo Jack? Van Helsing? Black Knight? Freddy Got Fingered?!

Old 12-15-04, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MJKTool
What in the living hell does that mean? Bad is bad.
No - there are good Bad Movies and bad Bad Movies. A good bad movie is one that that's very MST-able, one that has ambition bigger than it's budget (or the director's ability), one that where you and your mates can have a good time laughing with it and at it. A movie, despite it's glaring flaws and ham-fisted inepitude in filmmaking, has a certain charm to it. Anything by Ed Wood is a good bad movie. Most Godzilla films are good bad movies. Megaforce is a good bad movie.

A BAD bad movie is a cookie cutter film stamped out of the studio system for a quick buck. A movie where you pray for death to claim you quickly, where even the simple pleasure of mocking it is denied you. Catwoman is a bad Bad Movie. Van Helsing is a bad Bad Movie. Pluto Nash and so on.

You own Breakin 2 for shits sakes, you have no right to bash someone elses taste in movies
Ok, I'll bite - have you actually SEEN Breakin'? Or are you judging a book by it's cover (or in this case by it's subtitle).

Like most people, I was laughing at the silly subtitle and never actually saw the film until last year. I'm not saying that it's a great film, but it was better than I was expecting. Yeah, its no more deep than say one of those Andy Rooney "Lets put on a show and save the orphanage" musicals in the 40's, but it's got some good choreography, and pretty decent 80's new wave music.

And having suffered through Van Helsing, I know that it's TONS better than that piece of shit. I'd rather slit my wrists than endure one of Stephen Sommer's movies ever again.
Old 12-15-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im in the 50 club too,im very selective(nice word for cheap ) when it comes to my dvd purchasing
Old 12-15-04, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by El-Kabong
Ok, I'll bite - have you actually SEEN Breakin'? Or are you judging a book by it's cover (or in this case by it's subtitle).
Yes, I have seen it and it is a bad, bad, bad, bad movie.

OZONE!!!!
Old 12-15-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No snobbery here - my collection proudly contains Mexican wrestling films, old Hong Kong films, 80's slasher films, Invasion USA *AND* Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, and the Hulk Hogan masterpiece: Santa With Muscles. They live on my shelf right along with Citizen Kane, Casablanca and The Godfather. I am no stranger to schlock and bad films.

However, argh - the mainstream pablum that the studios put out is a hundred times worse. If bad films is your thing, great! More power to you! But for the love of pete, stretch yourself. Go digging to find a copy of "Ssssss" instead of whats at eye level in the New Releases section of Best Buy.

I guess I'm more offended by people that go with what's easy instead of doing some legwork for their bad movies.
Wow, I thought I might be the only person here that owned "Santa With Muscles" - I own it on LaserDisc. It sits next to my Hoffa LD Box Set.

By the way this kind of comment is more constructive. I agree there are bad movies and there are really bad movies. People group them different though. I like a lot of bad movies "Rad" is one of my all time favorite movies - bad cheesy 80s BMX racing movie. My laserdisc has rot and looks rough in spots, but I still watch it more than many really good movies I own.
Old 12-15-04, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Yes, I have seen it and it is a bad, bad, bad, bad movie.

OZONE!!!!
Ok, then I stand corrected in my critical view - an informed opinion I can respect.

So which would you consider worse then of the two? (understanding that it's big budget apples vs 80's kitch oranges)

Originally Posted by speedyray
Wow, I thought I might be the only person here that owned "Santa With Muscles" - I own it on LaserDisc. It sits next to my Hoffa LD Box Set.
I had to get the disc from Austraila - never been released in R1 as far as I know. Really pity that, since it's a GREAT bad movie. The up side is that it was only 10 bucks shipped.

Originally Posted by speedyray
By the way this kind of comment is more constructive. I agree there are bad movies and there are really bad movies. People group them different though. I like a lot of bad movies "Rad" is one of my all time favorite movies - bad cheesy 80s BMX racing movie. My laserdisc has rot and looks rough in spots, but I still watch it more than many really good movies I own.
Oh, I havent seen Rad in AGES. Another so bad it's good classic.

And yeah - I'll agree that good bad movies can be subjective, like most opinions. But really isnt that what the nature of these threads are? Personal judgement calls on other people's collections? Now admittedly it started out as a Bragging that I've got X number of DVDs into a "Rate my collection" thread - but that's the danger you run when you put yourself on display like that.
Old 12-15-04, 06:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience
You seem to be doing that a lot lately and nobody really likes it.
speaking for the entire community of DVD Talk? that is genuine...uh..ok!
Old 12-15-04, 06:39 PM
Suspended

So which would you consider worse then of the two? (understanding that it's big budget apples vs 80's kitch oranges)
Between what other movie? Van Helsing? If your talking about that movie, I cant give you an answer because I havent seen it. But the whole discussion is absurd in the first place. Movie liking is subjective. You're trash is another mans treasure.
Old 12-15-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We should all just scan our W2 forms and bank statements and be done with it.
Old 12-16-04, 12:42 AM

To all my amigos in the 50 DVD club, don't fret. I never knew how comparatively small my DVD collection was until I came across this site. Wow. Some of you guys must be like Elvis, having three tvs going at once just to get use out of all those discs! (JK!) Still, there is something to be said for knowing your own limits and interests. I can barely watch the 50 or so DVDs I have now, and I still haven't gone through hardly any special features discs or commentaries, although I am starting to work through that now. I'm much more of a renter, since there are always more good movies to catch up on.

Oh, and kudos to whoever brought up "Santa with Muscles"! I got that free as a screener when I worked at a video store. Never did manage to watch the whole thing, and I used to be a huge Hulk Hogan fan. I still remember a hilarious line he said about being the "Richest man in four counties!" Always thought that was a peculiar and highly comedic way of measuring one's wealth.

Last edited by Fasu; 12-16-04 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-16-04, 03:27 AM

Ok Dan, well, lets see, You couldnt find a single thing you wanted in my mess of dvds? You havent just seen these 2 in my collection, but you friggin own them man..

The Terminator SE
Chasing Amy
Yes, and I don't want them because I already own them. See?

I'm not sure why you felt the need to start this topic in the first place (you have 50 DVDs? hello?), and that collection certainly isn't something to brag about.
Old 12-16-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by illennium
We should all just scan our W2 forms and bank statements and be done with it.
That does seem to what this thread has become
Old 12-16-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel L
Sorry, but that has to be one of the most boring collections I've ever seen. I couldn't find a single thing I wanted in that mess. How old are you?
Dude, what might be boring to one person might be their favorite films, I'm sure all of us don't love all of your movies....I'm just saying that's all....
Old 12-16-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daniel L
Yes, and I don't want them because I already own them. See?

I'm not sure why you felt the need to start this topic in the first place (you have 50 DVDs? hello?), and that collection certainly isn't something to brag about.
he's 16-years-old. Cut him some slack.

50 DVDs to a new collector is a pretty big milestone. Im sure that 100 will be big, then 200, then 250, then 300 and so on.

Attacking new members/collectors like this is not the way to encourage them.

The only major complaint I have about kornboy is the Full Screen Kangaroo Jack but hey if he likes full screen, that's his choice.
Old 12-16-04, 02:25 PM
Banned

thnx dabomb , idk, i could only find full screen for kangaroo, jack it was a deal at a shopko (retail store, they dont have one in every state), anyways, it was 3 for $18, so it was a pretty good deal, got 2 others too in that deal, i forgot which though..
Old 12-16-04, 02:30 PM

Actually, I am not trying to hurt his feelings. I am trying to warn him on what is going to happen to him. Somewhere around here are pictures of my collection and he may not want to end up like this.

I don't keep a list on the net because the collection started years before there was such a thing and now it would simply be too much effort.

The collection takes up much of my garage and most of my basement. The vhs tapes are out in the garage

And before someone asks (which happens a lot), I have seen a large % of the collection. I would estimate at least a third or more. Also, the collection includes all types of movies both good and bad.
Austin
Old 12-16-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
speaking for the entire community of DVD Talk? that is genuine...uh..ok!
Scott. Don't e-mail me.

IGNORE LIST IT IS. Block listed you are.

Wonder how many people have you on their ignore list?

--------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-16-04, 02:47 PM

Well, I put all of you bums to shame.

I have 33,548 DVDs and counting.

Unfortunately, 33,547 are copies of 'Gigli'.
Old 12-16-04, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Well, I put all of you bums to shame.

I have 33,548 DVDs and counting.

Unfortunately, 33,547 are copies of 'Gigli'.
And let me guess, your 33,548th one is "Glitter"
Old 12-16-04, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ceeece
And let me guess, your 33,548th one is "Glitter"
Yes, I was too embarrassed to include it in the post.
Old 12-16-04, 04:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience
Scott. Don't e-mail me.

IGNORE LIST IT IS. Block listed you are.

Wonder how many people have you on their ignore list?

--------------------------------------------------------
r u kidding? i would never lower myself to your childish depths!!
Old 12-16-04, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Austin54
I'm between 5500 and 6000 now. Maybe a bit more.
Austin
Just so you know, in your entire lifetime you'll probably never get to watch all of those DVD's more than once, if that. Unless you have absolutely no life.
Old 12-16-04, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Yes, I was too embarrassed to include it in the post.
So I heard you were selling Catwoman. Wouldnt want to tarnish such a sterling collection, now would you?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.