Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Godzilla films Region 1 ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
Because only Japan has a large amount of collectors wealthy enough and obsessive enough to make a $1000.00 DVD set commercially viable.
I certainly hope that smiley means you're being sarcastic, because I think there are just as many, if not more, collectors in the US that would spend big money on unusual sets. Hell, I bought the serial experiment Lain lunchbox blind because it looked cool.
Old 04-02-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those boxsets sold out almost as qucikly as they were listed as well. If I hadn't already had the bulk of the R2 discs this set sports, it would have been a no brainer for me.
Old 04-02-05, 06:09 PM

i really hope that the put out the godzilla vs biolantte on dvd soon, that's most cetainlly my favorite godzilla movie, i'm actually surprised that they havent', especially after the whole thing with sony's double godzilla double features i figured they would have released more, but i guess it all comes down to who has the rights.
Old 04-02-05, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by buckee1
A little off-topic region-wise but, R4 through Eastern Eye Asian Cinema released a 50th anniversery edition sporting both films. 1954's Gojira & 1956's Godzilla King of The Monsters. It is a one sided disc W/Japanese DD 5.1/Mono and English subs. I picked it up from Ezydvd for about $20 US a couple of months ago. Just in case you're interested.
How is the quality of that DVD? Does the uncut version have the original Japanese subs?
Old 04-02-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I certainly hope that smiley means you're being sarcastic, because I think there are just as many, if not more, collectors in the US that would spend big money on unusual sets. Hell, I bought the serial experiment Lain lunchbox blind because it looked cool.
Not sarcastic at all. Sorry, but as much as we have obessive collectors here that spend money on stuff, it's nothing compared to collectors in Japan. How many box sets of LDs or DVDs have come out over the last 10 years or so that have cost upwards of $1000.00? In the US, very few if any. In Japan? Tons. They also have much more high ticket toys, models and other collectibles compared to here. We are catching up, but Japan still has a much greater number of insane collectors with deep pockets.
Old 04-02-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris777
i really hope that the put out the godzilla vs biolantte on dvd soon, that's most cetainlly my favorite godzilla movie, i'm actually surprised that they havent', especially after the whole thing with sony's double godzilla double features i figured they would have released more, but i guess it all comes down to who has the rights.
In this film's case, I believe that Miramax/Dimension still owns the rights to the film (HBO Video released the original VHS and LD though). So who knows when a new domestic release of this film will see the light of day.
Old 04-04-05, 10:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
In this film's case, I believe that Miramax/Dimension still owns the rights to the film (HBO Video released the original VHS and LD though). So who knows when a new domestic release of this film will see the light of day.
Correct. Maybe now that the Weinsteins are out this dvd will happen.

Originally Posted by forumsmy
Plus a new movie is out or on its way "Godzilla Final Wars" (if not to DVD atleast to the theaters). I beleive it may be released in Japan already. I am looking forward to this, even if it only gets shown in the "independent" theaters...
I think you have it backwards. This movie will most certainly get a DVD release (no official announcement has been made, but Sony has released every other "Millennium" series Godzilla film). As for seeing it on the big screen, The Egyptian Theater in Hollywood will show it in June, and it will also be screened in Chicago during this year's G-Fest. If you're interested in seeing it in your neighborhood I'd encourage your local independent theater to contact the Toho office in L.A.
Old 07-20-05, 12:35 PM

Godzilla on R1 DVD

For those of you who grew up on genre TV in the 50's, 60's or 70's, Godzilla and his cronies were probably a staple.

fyi, I've been tracking which of these classic films make their way onto DVD (in the US) and try to keep an updated list here:

http://www.gojira.com/html/kaijudvd.html

BobB

Last edited by Gojira69; 07-20-05 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-25-05, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by JordanGLC
Re: Final Wars This movie will most certainly get a DVD release (no official announcement has been made, but Sony has released every other "Millennium" series Godzilla film).
Here's the first indication that Godzilla Final Wars is coming to R1 DVD:
http://img346.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zillaad4xn.jpg
Old 07-25-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
That doesn't look official, but I hope it's out in time for Halloween at least, but I am sure it won't be.
Old 07-25-05, 07:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Gojira69
For those of you who grew up on genre TV in the 50's, 60's or 70's, Godzilla and his cronies were probably a staple.

fyi, I've been tracking which of these classic films make their way onto DVD (in the US) and try to keep an updated list here:

http://www.gojira.com/html/kaijudvd.html

BobB
Thank you for the effort and information! This is very useful and we appreciate the link!
Old 07-25-05, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That doesn't look official, but I hope it's out in time for Halloween at least, but I am sure it won't be.
It's from the SDCC souvenir program. No release date has been announced.
Old 07-26-05, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kimiakane
I need these films as my husband wants to relive them with our children. As collectors, we would like to eventually own all of them. What are our best options for widescreen versions in region 1? Thank you in advance!
Buy from raremovieimports.com
http://raremovieimports.com/KING_KONG_GODZILLA.HTML
Old 07-26-05, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Yeah, its official. The word of mouth is this will be out early September.
Old 07-26-05, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gojira69
Yeah, its official. The word of mouth is this will be out early September.
I think the Sony rep that said that was misinformed. That's barely a month away and no official announcement has been made. It'd be great if it came out in early September, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 07-26-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whatever the case, I'll just make do with the R2 SE & the R3 disc until the R1 is announced/released. Not to bone up on my Japanese!
Old 10-07-05, 06:44 PM

I don't think this has been posted anywhere on the forum, so here it is. Godzilla Final Wars will gets it U.S. release on December 13.
Old 10-07-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts
thread

Nope, but the Big G can never get too much attention in my opinion