Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are Superbits worth it?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Are Superbits worth it?

Old 12-24-04, 03:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The only superbit I own is Underworld because I also own the Extended cut to, so all the special feautures are on that DVD as well.
Old 12-24-04, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only superbit I own is Charlie's Angels, because that's the only one available now. It also had all the features of the regular edition, or I'd have eBayed to get the regular one. I wanted the special features; a DVD is already good enough for me, thanks, without adding "superbit".....I'll take extras over superbit anyday.
Old 12-24-04, 07:47 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in a word "yes"...
Old 12-25-04, 03:35 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes if you have a high-end system.
Old 12-26-04, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The only superbit I own is Underworld because I also own the Extended cut to, so all the special feautures are on that DVD as well.
I recently picked up Underworld in SB ,I have the original and extended as well.The DTS on SB was better than the DD for this one. I compared the SB and original Black Hawk Down, personally, DD sounded better.I wanna pick up Resident Evil in SB to compare DTS vs. DD,for my ears this is one of my favorite DD tracks,but i'm a DTS nut so I need to know.

My favorite Superbit titles so far....
1) Starship Troopers
2) Bad Boys II
Old 12-26-04, 08:28 PM

HI...I do have a HDTV panasonic 36" set and a dvd progressive scan dvd player with the faroudja chip (High quality processor). I decided to answer my own curiousity regarding this issue of whether Superbit really is a big or non detectable difference. I wanted to know if I could sincerely justify spending the extra bucks myself. So I happen to have both editions of hollowman, A superbit edition and the regular DVD of it. In my test...I ran them to the exact chapter and page when they were in the transforamation lab and were doing a close up Kevin Bacons face and then froze an went frame by frame flipping back and forth from one DVD to the other...what I saw as far as digital...the complexion of the skin was a huge difference. In the regular DVD, the skin was kind of muddy and could not see the pores in those sequences etc., In the superbit DVD, the skin was not muddy but very clear and I could see skin texture and pores....really quite amazing. To me, it was quite clear that the Superbit was far superior if you really looked closely, but I am sure watching superbit and not having something at the second to compare it to..it is something we take for granted. I really don't need to go into the superiority of the DTS sound, because that is a given, but for those who were not quite sure about the picture..well, if you wanted to take a guys opinion who spent that silly time to actually find out, here you go. I heartily recommend Superbit and I now prefer to buy Superbit if the choice is there in buying a DVD that I want for my personal library.