Are Superbits worth it?

Old 12-03-04, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No
Old 12-03-04, 12:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Some Superbits are really special - Spider-Man, Starship Troopers, Fifth Element, Black Hawk Down. .
That's good to hear that you're praising the SB edition of Starship Troopers - it's the defenitive incentive for me to get this now.

Originally posted by typecase
I purchased my first Superbit recently, Bram Stoker's Dracula. The quality of the transfer of the SB really was astounding in comparison to the old transfer at least on a large screen.
I also noted that the difference between the SB Dracula and the nonSB were quite noticeable.

Also the DTS track on the Charlie's Angels SB is also dramatic and has more oomph than the Dolby Digital non-SB edition.
Old 12-03-04, 01:50 PM

Some interesting comparison screen caps of the new Spider-Man 2 SE vs. Spider-Man 2 Superbit are linked in this HTF post.
Old 12-03-04, 02:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i have a 9ft. diagonal 16x9 screen. superbit titles always look superior, more detailed. unfortunately, very very few titles that im interested in are available as such.
Old 12-03-04, 02:26 PM
Banned

Cygnet, check out the new DareDevil DC, the picture quality destroys damn near every Superbit released!

That's good to hear that you're praising the SB edition of Starship Troopers - it's the defenitive incentive for me to get this now.
The DTS track alone is worth the purchase!
Old 12-03-04, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by cygnet74
i have a 9ft. diagonal 16x9 screen. superbit titles always look superior, more detailed. unfortunately, very very few titles that im interested in are available as such.
I have a 70" screen, and am planning on eventually making a 100" screen. Until now, I had no real want of a superbit DVD. But considering how big the screen is, I will have to check one out.

Any title you would recommend that showcases just how good a DVD picture quality can be?
Old 12-03-04, 02:37 PM
Banned

Fifth Element is the Best Superbit
Old 12-03-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of the time the only reason I buy superbits is for the DTS track, which is usually better than the dd5.1 track.
Old 12-04-04, 06:03 PM

Fifth Element is the Best Superbit
I'm not sure I agree there. Starship Troopers is better to my eyes and ears. I have a few SB's myself, but I don't fall for them all. I'm a total DTS WHORE as well. Since I moved from a Pioneer 58" CRT to a 70" XBR, the PQ differences have become more startling.
Fifth Element - DRASTIC IMPROVEMENT over the original.
Dracula - Same as above.
Crouching Tiger - Really wanted the DTS.
Starship Troopers - They took a good DVD and made it absolute reference.
Snatch - Wanted the DTS because the soundtrack is so awesome.
Lawrence of Arabia - Totally new FIXED transfer, DTS is icing.
Resident Evil - Ehh, not such an improvement over the original.
Spiderman 2 - I'm getting ready to watch it tonight. From what I've read, it kicks @$$ on the SE.
Old 12-04-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
superbits are a joke.

are they generally better than the previous non-superbit release?
yes.
are they vastly better than any other studios higher efforts?
F#ck no!

they purposefully degrade (filter out the higher frequencies/finer detail) from the regular edition, waste disc space, and use a lower than necc. bit rate and go and rectify some of these for the SB .
its the equivilent of a store going thru its inventory at midnight and marking everything up before the big 30% off sale the next day.

Last edited by ckolchak; 12-04-04 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-04-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Cygnet, check out the new DareDevil DC, the picture quality destroys damn near every Superbit released!

I don't know if it beats every Superbit but I did compare it to my new copies of the Spider-ma 1 & 2 Superbits & I immediately felt the DareDevil DC dvd was head and shoulders better than the Spider-man discs. I have a 65inch HD & the difference was obvious!

I was disappointed in the Superbits to say the least.
Old 12-05-04, 10:09 AM

I agree completely that just because it says Superbit doesn't mean it looks or sounds better than other studios efforts. IMO, Seabiscuit is better looking than anything I've ever seen on Film. As for video based, probably Spy Kids 2 or Episode 2. There are loads of releases that eclipse any Superbit. The thing that Superbits do is better the PREVIOUS release. When it comes to newer releases, it pisses me off. I almost feel like they are crippling the SE's to justify (sell) the Superbit. The older re-releases I have no problem with.

Last edited by Skyler; 12-05-04 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-05-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with ckolchak. Of course Dracula is going to look better - the original Dracula was an early DVD. The point is that Sony should be giving you the best presentation on the first DVD..but people are happy to lick whatever scraps Sony gives you. With current releases, when they release 2 version at the same time, its just like selliing a knowingly inferior version.
Old 12-05-04, 08:04 PM
Banned

I have both the Fifth Element and Starship Troopers SBs and I was more impressed with the Fifth Element. I was also more impressed with Black Hawk Down. Starship Troopers is a damn good SB though.
Old 12-05-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
The point is that Sony should be giving you the best presentation on the first DVD..but people are happy to lick whatever scraps Sony gives you. With current releases, when they release 2 version at the same time, its just like selliing a knowingly inferior version.
I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. If the methodology of Superbits hold true as far as using the entire, or most of the disc's space for audio and video, (which isn't always the case) it also means that certain features could never be included, like audio commentaries. In that case, you get a trade off between features and presentation, and different people will value those differently and it would be hard pressed to call one inferior over the other.
Old 12-05-04, 11:05 PM

I have collected most of the Superbits and I think the higher bitrate helps on a large screen.
I have a projector with 100" 16x9 screen and can see differences in the quality of the superbit vs. non-superbit dvds.
I also use a HTPC with a DX9 video card and run the sound digitally out via SPDIFF into my Harman Kardon Receiver into my B&W speakers and dual SVS subs.
The end result is how much do you have spent on your equipment and how serious are you into your movies. If i had a 32" TV with an Apex DVD player, I wouldn't see any difference either.
Old 12-06-04, 10:26 AM

I have only a few Superbit titles, but I'm VERY happy with all of them.

Das Boot
Heavy Metal
Lawrence of Arabia
Spider-Man 2

There is a noticeable difference on all of them, and in some cases they are dramatically noticeable, especially with Lawrence of Arabia and yes, even Heavy Metal.
Old 12-06-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To me it's not worth it...marginal differences on most...not all. I would rather wait to double dip when HD DVD/ BLU-Ray (sp?) hits the market.
Old 12-06-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Admiral7
I have only a few Superbit titles, but I'm VERY happy with all of them.

Das Boot
Heavy Metal
Lawrence of Arabia
Spider-Man 2

There is a noticeable difference on all of them, and in some cases they are dramatically noticeable, especially with Lawrence of Arabia and yes, even Heavy Metal.
And what about The Fifth Element? That is the best SB in terms of noticable difference IMO, although LoA comes really close due to the color correcting issues.
Old 12-06-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Superbits...Gotta catch them all!!!!!!!!!111
Old 12-06-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are plenty of movies out there that look just as nice and sound just as nice as superbits. They also normally have a second disc full of extras as well... and they're often cheaper!

That's my problem with them.
Old 12-06-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree. How do Superbits compare to LOTR: EE (any of them), Master & Commander SE, Se7en Platinum Ed., Pearl Harbor Vista, and so on.
Old 12-07-04, 04:17 AM
Banned

I agree. How do Superbits compare to LOTR: EE (any of them), Master & Commander SE, Se7en Platinum Ed., Pearl Harbor Vista, and so on.
Depends on the Superbit, 5th Element or Starship Troopers for example I think are just has good as the LOTR EE's and M&C. Others, are not.

Superbits are not the end all be all of reference DVD quality. Theres plenty that look or sound just as good and better in a lot of cases.
Old 12-07-04, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. If the methodology of Superbits hold true as far as using the entire, or most of the disc's space for audio and video, (which isn't always the case) it also means that certain features could never be included, like audio commentaries. In that case, you get a trade off between features and presentation, and different people will value those differently and it would be hard pressed to call one inferior over the other.
The part that offends me is that the studio releases a movie encoded to, atleast in theory, offer the best a/v quality DVD offers with nothing else and charges you a good deal more for the privilege.

I'm all for making profits but, to me, this is a tad bit absurd. When they release just the movie supposedly offering the best quality DVD can offer, you pay extra, When they load up with "extras" for every marginal title with frivolous commentaries, "featurettes" that belong as talk show filler, you pay extra. When they re-release and admit this release they did it right, you pay extra.

The bootleggers and companies like this inhabit both sides of the problem with fair market value and mutual respect for artist's rights, studios profits, and consumers rights begging for the system to self correct.

Edit: For those interested in The Fifth Element SB. Consider holding off on the purchase for another month when the 'Ultimate Edition' is to be released on the chance it will rival the a/v quality and offer those interested some extras.
Old 12-07-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by abintra
Edit: For those interested in The Fifth Element SB. Consider holding off on the purchase for another month when the 'Ultimate Edition' is to be released on the chance it will rival the a/v quality and offer those interested some extras.
I wonder if we will see more SB turning into new updated ultimate editions soon.

Already...

Fifth Element
Leon

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.