Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's A Wonderful Life Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's A Wonderful Life Question

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Just wanted to ask a question that I was unsuccessful finding via a search.
Does anybody know about the status of a collector's edition version of It's a Wonderful Life. This movie is on all the time, but I was thinking about picking it up since it's on sale at a lot of places. However, I'm not sure if it's low stock (at some retailers) and low price is an indication of a newer version coming out. In that case I'd hold out.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-26-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

Now to answer your question....I personally am not aware if there is a SE coming up. You might as well pick it up.

Last but not least....Welcome to the forum, its great to have you here

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 11-26-04, 07:30 PM

I have the Republic Pictures original uncut version, and that already has The making of IAWL, tribute to Frank Capra, and theatrical trailer on it..not sure what else they could do with a film that old. It says it's digitally re-mastered from the orignial film negative..doubt they will come up with anything better.
Old 11-26-04, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts
Re: It's A Wonderful Life Question

Originally posted by IvyLeaguer
This movie is on all the time, ...
It's not on TV much anymore (no longer public domain). NBC has the license and only shows it a couple of times a year.
Old 11-27-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: It's A Wonderful Life Question

Originally posted by The Cow
It's not on TV much anymore (no longer public domain). NBC has the license and only shows it a couple of times a year.
So true. This used to be played so much it was practically the only thing on during the holidays. Now you're lucky to see it the 1 or 2 times they play it. Very lame...which is why I still watch my VHS copy.

There has been mention of a new release of this on Mikkos re-release thread for well over a year now, with no new news since.
Also, this is getting re-released in the UK next week with new packaging, but that's all that it appears to be. It seems to be the exact same version that's out now, just a re-packaging called a "Collector's Edition".

I too have been holding out on this as well, but I think I'll just pick this up in the current version. I don't expect they'll do anything else with this release soon. And my VHS copy is getting worn

Just pick it up and enjoy your holidays!
Old 11-27-04, 08:57 AM

This is 2/$20 next week at Best Buy. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=397733
Old 11-27-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Republic DVD is actually pretty good (which is more than can be said about High Noon and The Quiet Man).

However, it has a lot of DVNR and macroblocking in certain scenes. I think the original RKO logos are gone.

Paramount, when they get the Republic DVD rights back next year, will very likely re-issue their own remastered edition. They've been doing restoration work on it and High Noon.
Old 11-27-04, 06:32 PM

I expect a film of this calibur will undoubtedly get a beef-up fully-loaded SE in the future (probably indeed when Paramount gets control). I held off on buying it for awhile in hopes that such an edition would appear, but just couldn't wait any longer. I haven't seen it in years so I went ahead and grabbed it in the recent DeepDiscount 20%-Off sale. I'm getting pretty antsy about The Philadelphia Story, too. When is that inevitable Warner 2-Disc Special Edition going to drop?
Old 11-27-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joliom
I expect a film of this calibur will undoubtedly get a beef-up fully-loaded SE in the future (probably indeed when Paramount gets control).
Your expectations should be met. Paramount has big plans for It's a Wonderful Life, once it gains the rights to release it. Expectations at the studio a year ago were that its DVD of the film will be one of the crown jewels in its catalog.
Old 11-27-04, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scott716
I have the Republic Pictures original uncut version, and that already has The making of IAWL, tribute to Frank Capra, and theatrical trailer on it..not sure what else they could do with a film that old. It says it's digitally re-mastered from the orignial film negative..doubt they will come up with anything better.
Criterion's LD had a commentary, a seminar with Capra, and a still gallery, so presumably there's more that can be done with the film.

DJ
Old 11-29-04, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by rasalas
Your expectations should be met. Paramount has big plans for It's a Wonderful Life, once it gains the rights to release it. Expectations at the studio a year ago were that its DVD of the film will be one of the crown jewels in its catalog.
Now I'm conflicted. Perhaps I ought to sell it off or give it away as a X-Mas gift or something and just get by by DVRing the broadcast version. If a full-fledged SE is in the works for next year, I'll definitely want to upgrade. And if anything irritates me more, it's buying a DVD and having a better version released only months later. Of course, it might be a year before Paramount releases this eventual SE if they decide to time it for the holidays.