"Lost" S1 DVD (September 6)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Lost" S1 DVD (September 6)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mostly cause its the only thing on, on weds night, and i pray it may turn around since i've watched all of it, i know the whole story so i have hopes it may one day lead to something, so far its seems as though this show could go on forever with no definite track or ending. When at first it seemed as this was meant to be a mini series.
Old 11-10-04, 10:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by squaresoft7
Mostly cause its the only thing on, on weds night, and i pray it may turn around since i've watched all of it, i know the whole story so i have hopes it may one day lead to something, so far its seems as though this show could go on forever with no definite track or ending. When at first it seemed as this was meant to be a mini series.
I'll say it again: This is a CHARACTER-focused show, not a PLOT-focused show. Most mass-market entertainment in the U.S. is heavily plot-focused, populated by two-dimensional archetypes who exist solely to set off the well-telegraphed plot points. Lost is content to develop its characters and present them with challenges, rather than have them function as part of a strictly-scripted, over-arching storyline. I appreciate that.
Old 11-10-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mostly cause its the only thing on, on weds night, and i pray it may turn around since i've watched all of it, i know the whole story so i have hopes it may one day lead to something, so far its seems as though this show could go on forever with no definite track or ending.
If that is your criteria for watching something - "the only thing on", you must be watching much worse "crap" the rest of the week!
Old 11-10-04, 10:50 AM

Well get the tv guide and check it out, weds stinks for tv, and most of the rest of the week, except for thurs which is survivor which i'll admit this season is lame and apprentice which is probably equally so. But i'll ask you this to maybe help me grasp the point of lost, in the first 2 episodes there was this invisible thing that scared everyone, then it pulls the plane pilot from a 3 story vertical fuselage and kills him and throws him in a tree. All 3 of main characters saw it, yet tell no one, and now we havent seen it since, except for the time the old man saw it and apparently wasnt killed because he figured it out? If this thing is manifested by a combined angst of the total "village" of lost people how come it killed the unsuspecting pilot who didnt even know about it? I'm not saying some people wouldn't like this show, obviously alot do, i'm just saying as a blind buy (one of the original questions in this thread) I can't forsee that as a recommendation.
Old 11-10-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude - it is NOT SCI-FI. Read the threads in the TV Forum if you are still that confused about this show.
Old 11-10-04, 11:31 AM

Well get the tv guide and check it out, weds stinks for tv, and most of the rest of the week, except for thurs which is survivor which i'll admit this season is lame and apprentice which is probably equally so. But i'll ask you this to maybe help me grasp the point of lost, in the first 2 episodes there was this invisible thing that scared everyone, then it pulls the plane pilot from a 3 story vertical fuselage and kills him and throws him in a tree. All 3 of main characters saw it, yet tell no one, and now we havent seen it since, except for the time the old man saw it and apparently wasnt killed because he figured it out? If this thing is manifested by a combined angst of the total "village" of lost people how come it killed the unsuspecting pilot who didnt even know about it? I'm not saying some people wouldn't like this show, obviously alot do, i'm just saying as a blind buy (one of the original questions in this thread) I can't forsee that as a recommendation.
Well, they didn't actually see "it." They saw what "it" did. Locke (the old guy) potentially saw it, but he's a mysterious guy to begin with, so even if he did see it, whether or not he's going to openly discuss it with anyone is debatable. In any case, whatever "it" is, it's pretty clear by now that it's not the focus of the show. So if that fact bothers you, move on to something else and stop complaining.

As far as watching it simply because it's the only thing on, why? I refer you to the name of this site. Make Wednesday movie night and pull something off the shelf. Better yet, turn the TV off and read a book, go out, or commune with another human being. There's no law that says you HAVE to watch TV every night of the week. I think I'd kill myself if there was.
Old 11-10-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BeckysBoy
As far as watching it simply because it's the only thing on, why? I refer you to the name of this site. Make Wednesday movie night and pull something off the shelf. Better yet, turn the TV off and read a book, go out, or commune with another human being. There's no law that says you HAVE to watch TV every night of the week. I think I'd kill myself if there was.
BLASPHEMER!
Old 11-10-04, 11:57 AM
Cool New Member

This is a great show. I originally started to watch it because of J.J. Abrams ties, since I'm a big ALIAS fan. Didn't take long for me to get sucked into this one either.
Old 11-10-04, 12:02 PM

Personally, I love the fact that they are taking it slow, and letting the characters develop. Last week's episode with the hobbit rock star was one of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen, I got really emotionally involved, and it was a really wonderful piece of storytelling.

'Lost' is not for everyone, but don't for a moment think that it's a 'Sci-Fi, Monster Island, everybody dies' type deal. This is character development, and I for one love it.
Old 11-10-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
As RTDuncan indicated, if people want to discuss the virtues of the show whether is good or bad, they should go to the DVD Talk TV Forum.

Man, I can't believe this thread is two pages already!
Old 11-10-04, 02:57 PM

When is the series scheduled to finish? That might give us some idea of when it is to finish
Old 11-10-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
vedder, May I believe. They picked it up for a full season, so I assume it will be around the same time as all the other shows.
Old 11-10-04, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by vedderstapp
Personally, I love the fact that they are taking it slow, and letting the characters develop. Last week's episode with the hobbit rock star was one of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen, I got really emotionally involved, and it was a really wonderful piece of storytelling.

'Lost' is not for everyone, but don't for a moment think that it's a 'Sci-Fi, Monster Island, everybody dies' type deal. This is character development, and I for one love it.
Ditto that. I think Locke is a good example of the depth of characterization on the show. They set him up in the first few episodes as this really creepy psycho. You sensed an ulterior motive to everything he did. But by the time you got to the end of his backstory, ya really felt for the guy. Now he's a philosophical father-figure to everybody (especially Charlie). And the cool part is, he could easily take another turn down the dark path and it would work (I'm waiting to see if his desire to stay on the island is so strong that it will cause him to subvert the efforts to get off). I think they're going to do a similar transformation with Sawyer tonight.

Just to get back on topic, the show is not scheduled to finish. ABC just ordered (along with Desperate Houswives) another nine episodes to finish out a full first season. And barring any unforseen disaster, it's guaranteed at least a season after that.

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 11-10-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A small update at TVshowsondvd.com for the timeframe of the DVD release...

Link

Lost - A small DVD update for the hot new series

Posted by David Lambert
1/25/2005

In mid-November we reported that Lost DVDs were on the minds of the show's producers from the start, and that writer Paul Dini had mentioned them, and that TVShowsOnDVD owner Gord Lacey had gotten additional information about all the work that was going into the set's production. What we mainly didn't know then was the timeframe to expect it in. However, as we said, it was a pretty safe bet to say that we expect that it would be "released in the weeks leading up the start of the second season".

Yesterday there was a Lost bulletin at SciFiWire, the news service of SciFi.com (the website of the Sci Fi Channel). It talked a lot about various goings-on at the show, but it also mentioned the DVDs in passing. This time, the timeframe was clearly mentioned:

(Co-Creator Damon) Lindelof said that a DVD set of the first season will come out this summer, before a second season begins in the fall.

So, late in the Summer of 2005, it looks like. It's good to narrow it down a bit. There's still much more info to come, once the studio (Buena Vista) makes their official announcement. Stay tuned and we'll bring all of that to you! Thanks to reader Bobby Parker for letting us know about SciFiWire's post.
Old 01-25-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by squaresoft7
this show teased everyone with like a dino-island sorta thing
Now, I haven't watched a single episode and I *know* that isn't true. Maybe you felt teased, but every single thing written about the show included quotes from the creators specifically saying that there will not be any dinosaurs on the show, that it's not "Land of the Lost", etc. So, I'm sorry if you inferred otherwise, but it was *your* mistake, not theirs.
Old 01-25-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Dude - it is NOT SCI-FI. Read the threads in the TV Forum if you are still that confused about this show.

Funny...JJ Abrams is interviewed in the brand-new STARLOG (LOST is on the cover) and he claims several times during the interview that LOST DOES have sci-fil elements to it's story...he just doesn't want people to think that it's ONLY a sci-fi show.
Old 01-25-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

[plug]Check out these[/plug]

This show is great and I hope they don't just slap something on the cover, ala Scrubs.
Old 01-25-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am extremely excited about the DVD release and will definitely pick it up but here is the question.....Was there really any chance that a popular show like this would NOT be released on DVD?
Old 01-25-05, 04:37 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
End of summer is always a good time to catch up on shows before the new season starts.
Old 01-25-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by cajun_junky
I am extremely excited about the DVD release and will definitely pick it up but here is the question.....Was there really any chance that a popular show like this would NOT be released on DVD?
Considering how serialized the show is, it's almost certain Season One will hit DVD 3 or 4 weeks before the premiere of Season Two. People forget what a boost the first season DVDs of 24 did for Season Two of that show...24 was almost cancelled at the end of it's first year. It was the DVDs that got a lot more people to tune in for Season Two (including myself!) The same theory will no doubt apply with LOST - not that the show is in need of ratings!
Old 01-25-05, 07:01 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't seen the show, but looking foward to this release, probably will rent it though. Does it have a good replay value?
Old 01-25-05, 08:11 PM

I havent seen an episode either,but I plan on picking up whenever it is released. I just read the tv guide this week and it looked very interesting.
Old 01-25-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

well this is a definate buy, same with despereate housewives, if it gets released.
Old 01-25-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Fok
I haven't seen the show, but looking foward to this release, probably will rent it though. Does it have a good replay value?
I've watched every episode twice, I have them burned to discs and will still buy the inevitible box set.
Old 02-07-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TVshowsonDVD.com is reporting a late September DVD release.

Link

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.