Karate Kid 4-Pack --> Feb. 1st, 2005!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Karate Kid 4-Pack --> Feb. 1st, 2005!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some major concerns of the version of Karate Kid I released in this collection. While listening to the commentary track around the beach scene one of the filmmakers states that the framing seems very tight on this release. I think that the original fullscreen version might have been open matte. When I compare this "new" version with my original fullscreen version noting was added at all to the sides and only the top and bottom were matted out. When I compare the widescreen editions of Karate Kid II and Karate Kid III to their respective fullscreen versions the widescreen versions do contain a little more image to each of the sides, but also have the top and bottom of the image matted out like they should. I could be wrong, but the framing on this widescreen edition does not look quite right to me. I am most concerned with what the filmmaker said in the commentary track....
Old 02-07-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PoorComputerMan
I have some major concerns of the version of Karate Kid I released in this collection. While listening to the commentary track around the beach scene one of the filmmakers states that the framing seems very tight on this release. I think that the original fullscreen version might have been open matte. When I compare this "new" version with my original fullscreen version noting was added at all to the sides and only the top and bottom were matted out. When I compare the widescreen editions of Karate Kid II and Karate Kid III to their respective fullscreen versions the widescreen versions do contain a little more image to each of the sides, but also have the top and bottom of the image matted out like they should. I could be wrong, but the framing on this widescreen edition does not look quite right to me. I am most concerned with what the filmmaker said in the commentary track....
I haven't listened to the commentary track but maybe he was just referring to the composition of the shot.

I may check it against my widescreen Region 4.
Old 02-08-05, 07:50 AM

I was listening to the commentary the other day, and what I understood from what John, Robert, Ralph, and Pat were saying was that the shot of "Johnny" and his boys on their motor bikes (On top of the hill looking down at the beach where Daniel and Alli were juggling a soccer ball) was not properly framed. I do not recall them saying that about any other scene or referring to this recent transfer as being incorrect or not true to the original theatrical presentation.
Old 02-08-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's funny is that Ralph points out in one scene that he could see a boom mike and I couldn't see anything. Perhaps they're watching the open matte version?

Also, I noticed that one particular scene the audio was changed in "The Karate Kid Part II." Right before Daniel rescues that bell ringer girl, she said in Japanese "Taskete! Taskete!" But, on the DVD she says in English something like, "Please help me!" And it obviously doesn't match her mouth. But, other Japanese phrases were kept in the movie. Plus, when that girl talks to Daniel later at the Bon dance, she sounds REALLY different.
Old 02-08-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
Plus, when that girl talks to Daniel later at the Bon dance, she sounds REALLY different.
She hit puberty mid way through the film and her balls dropped.
Old 02-08-05, 01:48 PM

I have always thought that the original KK was filmed in a fullscreen format after reading this article: http://www.fast-rewind.com/kkid/index.html

That's why I was surprised when this new SE version had been released.
Old 02-08-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
What's funny is that Ralph points out in one scene that he could see a boom mike and I couldn't see anything. Perhaps they're watching the open matte version?
That's what I thought too. But the boom mike is right behind the car. Look down near Daniel-san's legs and you'll see it.
Old 02-12-05, 07:15 AM
Banned

For those pissed off about having to buy the boxed set just for part 1, it will be released in other regions separately. Currently going for $13 in region 3.
Old 02-12-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
For those pissed off about having to buy the boxed set just for part 1, it will be released in other regions separately. Currently going for $13 in region 3.
shit.
Old 02-12-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My disc 3 has the labels for each movie reversed. I assume they're all like this?

K
Old 02-12-05, 07:49 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
My disc 3 has the labels for each movie reversed. I assume they're all like this?

K
Yes all the sets were like this.
Old 02-12-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did a brief comparison with my Region 4 anamorphic set and the R1 has marginally better PQ. That's good enough for me, though I would've hoped that hi-def remastering would give better results.

It's annoying how the opening Columbia-Tristar screens, with the copyright warnings, disclaimer about the commentaries, hell, even the rating screen, all have an associated 5.1 track. Nice of them to lull you into a false sense of security before hitting you with 2.0 Surround when you actually get to the movie
Old 02-13-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched KK1 yesterday and the framing really is tight isn't it? Lots of tops of heads are cut off and it all feels very "zoomed in".

Sadly, when I checked it against my R4, it suffered from the same problem. Probably a line or two difference in the framing, but nothing more.

I guess the cinematography is just crap and I've become more prone to notice these things these days