DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Why is The Mummy (Ultimate Edition) out of print? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/393355-why-mummy-ultimate-edition-out-print.html)

RocShemp 10-29-04 02:55 PM

Why is The Mummy (Ultimate Edition) out of print?

I was getting around to finally buying the Ultimate Edition of The Mummy but can't find it anywhere. When I went to Amazon.com it says it's out of stock. Yet the Collector's Edition is real easy to find. Why is that?

I guess, I also have to know, is it worth to keep trying to find the Ultimate Edition or should I just buy the Collector's Edition. I know the Ultimate Edition has a DTS track but is missing the musical score easter egg from the Collector's Edition. Though I wish the Ultimate had both I suppose the score is a fair (if unfortunate) loss in exchange for the film in DTS (assuming it's a big improvement of the very good DD track). Anyone care to venture an opinion regarding one version over the other?

I also know the Collector's Edition has a good amount of special features but it seems the Ultimate Edition has a good deal more. Are the extra, um, extras worth it or not?

And the transfer on both is the same, right?

Also, are there any plans for an Ultimate Edition of The Mummy Returns?

And while I'm asking about films by Stephen Sommers, are there any plans from Buena Vista for a Deep Rising re-release?

RocShemp 10-29-04 04:16 PM

Anyone?

JoeyOhhhh 10-29-04 04:25 PM

Didn't Universal drop the Ultimate Edition line? I believe most if not all of the UEs are now OOP.

Fok 10-29-04 04:33 PM

I haven't seen the Mummy UE for quite a while. I'd say go and ge tthe collectors ed

RocShemp 10-29-04 04:45 PM

JoeyOhhhh,

I thought so too but the 3-disc set of Van Helsing is labeled an Ultimate Edition.

VincentVega 10-29-04 04:50 PM

I recently picked up the UE off of eBay for around $10 used. You could always get one there.

I haven't really gone through the disc's but it does have some extra commentaries as well as other goodies. If you like extra's I'd pick up this version but if you just want to walk into a store or something and pick up it and not fool around with sellers then get the C.E.

lordzeppelin 10-29-04 06:15 PM

The "Ultimate Edition" of the Mummy was a limited thing to help promote the sequel. The Collectors edition remained in print the whole time for the purpose of it being the only edition after the furor over the sequel died down. It was, essentially, a marketing tool.

candyrocket786 10-29-04 07:10 PM

There's a big 5 disc set coming out in Korea pretty soon.

Includes

The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
The Scorpion King

All will have DTS audio.

http://koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=24682

Mike Lowrey 10-29-04 07:22 PM

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
The "Ultimate Edition" of the Mummy was a limited thing to help promote the sequel. The Collectors edition remained in print the whole time for the purpose of it being the only edition after the furor over the sequel died down. It was, essentially, a marketing tool.
Yeah, that's pretty how long it lasted on the shelves. That was one of the first DVDs I bought. I like the UE, except if you're looking for uniformity in the cover-art, namely the spines, then the regular CE is the one you want. The UE has a gold cover which of course looks out of place with the other two.

Bill Geiger 10-29-04 07:26 PM

I just saw it the other day at Best Buy....I believe

Originally posted by candyrocket786
There's a big 5 disc set coming out in Korea pretty soon.

Includes

The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
The Scorpion King

All will have DTS audio.

http://koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=24682

Nice!

Defiant1 11-01-04 10:30 AM

I believe Notting Hill and Meet Joe Black UEs are also out of print as I haven't seen those in stores in forever.

bjh_18 11-01-04 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Defiant1
I believe Notting Hill and Meet Joe Black UEs are also out of print as I haven't seen those in stores in forever.
As well as the Patch Adams and American Pie ultimate editions.

trammel 11-01-04 01:20 PM

Check Best Buy. The one in North Attleboro, MA had three copies a few weeks ago.

RocShemp 11-01-04 02:41 PM

I'd love to check out Best Buy but there is none in PR. :( Well, I suppose I can check their website.

candyrocket786, that set is sweet. Are there any plans for something like that in R1 or no such luck?

Big Worms 11-01-04 03:01 PM

Check this link out.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....1uUz4SI6U.vuxQ

cupon 11-01-04 08:06 PM

$16.45 shipped (9 copies left):
http://www.secondspin.com/buy/viddtl.cfm?vidID=2021738

RocShemp 11-02-04 10:13 PM

Thanks for all the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

davey_4964 11-02-04 11:47 PM

This may not be the right one, but i saw today at K-Mart a 2 dvd set of the Mummy for $5..it was in a gold colored case.

Big Worms 11-02-04 11:50 PM

Originally posted by davey_4964
This may not be the right one, but i saw today at K-Mart a 2 dvd set of the Mummy for $5..it was in a gold colored case.
That sounds like the one.

eau 11-03-04 12:49 AM

$5 for both Mummy and Mummy Returns? Is it FS or WS?

It's a steal for $5.

TomOpus 11-03-04 08:07 AM

Look at the case carefully. Make sure it says "Ultimate Edition". If it is, then, as eau said, it's a steal for $5.

Was there a FS version of the UE? I'm not sure....

davey_4964 11-03-04 10:35 AM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Look at the case carefully. Make sure it says "Ultimate Edition". If it is, then, as eau said, it's a steal for $5.

Was there a FS version of the UE? I'm not sure....

Went back to K-Mart today, it is the Ultimate Edition 2 disc set. I went ahead and bought it although i have no interest in the movie myself..i'll probably sell it on E-Bay.

Big Worms 11-03-04 10:42 AM

Went back to K-Mart today, it is the Ultimate Edition 2 disc set. I went ahead and bought it although i have no interest in the movie myself..i'll probably sell it on E-Bay.
Just a tought, but why not help out a DVD Talker and offer to sell it RocShemp who was the OP of this message. :)

brilk 11-03-04 11:15 AM

That's probably not a very wise investment. You can pick up a new copy on Amazon for about ten bucks.

davey_4964 11-03-04 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Big Worms
Just a tought, but why not help out a DVD Talker and offer to sell it RocShemp who was the OP of this message. :)
That's a good idea. I would be happy to sell it for what i paid for it. All i ask is to cover the cost of shipping.