Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dawn Of The Dead Unrated or Theatrical Release

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 03:05 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think folks wandering around nekkid IS a sign of the apocalypse.
Old 10-28-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker

The hometheaterforum.com thread is hilarious though. Since now they are mentioning the Terminator 3 dvd 'fiasco' that was 'never corrected'. Boy are they horny clueless bastards. I mean,I saw T3 in theaters and the 'infamous' shot was framed exactly as on the widescreen dvd. So the widescreen version is not 'cropped improperly' and is framed correctly. But god forbid,a nanosecond shot of a tit shows up in the pan & scan version. So the horndogs cry out '"it's misframed,it's defective..arghhhhhhhhhh"
also, if you go through the full frame terminator 3 shot by shot, yuu can see that they used blurred out the tit shot anyways.
Old 10-30-04, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree the edited out breast shot did seem kinda foolish, especially since in the Directors Cut we see a pair bouncing later in the movie.

Anyway, I picked up the DC disk tonight and enjoyed it a lot. As a Babylon 5 fan, it was a nice surprise seeing Richard Biggs appear on one of the disks extras, not to mention another actor from that show who did 'the voice of the President'.

Since Biggs passed away back in May, I'm wonder if this qualifies as his last onscreen appearance?

Gotta wonder if the actor was a Zombie fan, or if the director is a B5 fan.
Old 10-30-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok,

So, is this version (with the cgi blood) what Zak intended all along? That will put a rest to any idea that the non-cgi version is the "true" directors cut.

I mean, i am sure that zak didn't choose 2 different director's cut. Which one did he want? Anyone have contact with him? This would settle everything.

Matt
Old 10-30-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the movie the remake of Dawn Of The Dead? It is?

Does the movie have a crap load of zombies killing? It does?

Ok, then I'm going to join this movie reguardless.
Old 10-30-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Watching the DVD, I really do think it's a shame they didn't make a better use of the Andy character. He was pretty cool without really knowing him, and his video diary really does a good job of making him a more real character.

I hope that if they make a sequel they try to find a way to employ some of this footage or build on some of the material he mentions.
Spoiler:
Like his daughter
Old 10-30-04, 10:20 PM

Does anyone with the theatrical version know which title the "missing" featurette is on?
The Evil Dead standard version had the same featurette as the Book of the Dead version just hidden on a title.
Old 11-03-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dawn Of The Dead Director's Cut

Hey all,

Please don't close this and link it to the other Dawn thread -- the other ones are stale.

We all know that there are two different version of the Director's Cut of Dawn '04. Is the Non-U.S. version a certified Director's cut that was approved by Zak? This would be interesting to find out. Also, other than the cgi blood scene -- are there any other differences between the 2 different director cuts?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-03-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since you said please I won't link you to the hundred other threads that have covered this numerous times.
Old 11-03-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, how about So, is the US unrated directors cut of Dawn Of The Dead what Zak wanted?

... or Definitive Dawn Of The Dead 2004 release?

Because YOU STARTED those other threads.

As for the main one, I won't link it. But I'll put it in the mod report.
Old 11-04-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

SOrry if i caused any problems. I just thought that the question would be better answered in it's own thread instead of the end of this one -- thanks for movinig it though... I just wish someone could figure this out.... What's the Mod Report?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 11-04-04 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-04-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Duder
Same here. Since that shot really only existed to show a naked chick, why reinsert the shot if you don't want to show the nudity? What does the edited shot do for the continuity of the scene and the movie overall? As others have stated, since the blood was added, it actually introduces a continuity error. Is there something else in that shot that I'm missing?
While I could care less about seeing another pair of boobs in the movie, I do think that the scene would have been more effective had they stayed in. If I remember correctly, I think Sarah's character's reaction would have been more appropriate if she saw a naked woman wandering around. Without showing the woman's boobs all she's reacting to is a confused-looking woman wondering around. Given the choice, I would have tossed the reaction shot if I had to lose the nudity.
Old 11-04-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

Ok, even though the blood has been added -- it's clear that she is naked.....not only because there is nothing covering her shoulders, or that behind the blood is fleshtone -- but maybe -- umm... the fact that you can still see her breasts (nipples, more specifically). So, if the reaction shot is based on nudity, then that's not the true problem...

One thing that does bug me though, is that they show sarah speeding toward the bus for a few seconds, and then they cut to a closeup of her driving slooowly to the bus -- it's like the speeds don't match -- it makes the scene a bit disorienting

Just my thoughts....
Old 11-04-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of curiousity -- who here actually posesses the Japenese DTS director's cut on DVD?

Later,

Matt
Old 11-04-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also,

I was quite pleased with the extras on the unrated version. If one can suspend his/her disbelief and oversee the inherent "movie quality" of the special news report extra, it can actually be quite unnerving.....pretend it's realy going on!

Matt
Old 11-04-04, 09:56 PM

The boobs lady does add something. I dont know why, but the scene without the blood works better. Seriously. Not only because it's boobs either. It just adds something.

I got the Region 3 release and it's apparent some editing was done on the US release even though it says uncut. Why? Who knows. These movie studios do sill things.

We can see a head be blown off, but not a naked dazed chick for 2 seconds? I just dont get it.
Old 11-04-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Dawn Of The Dead Director's Cut

Originally posted by KillerQ
Is the Non-U.S. version a certified Director's cut that was approved by Zak?
Since just about everyone in this thread has spelled his name incorrectly, can I point out his name is Zack Snyder, not Zak?
Old 11-05-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KillerQ
Out of curiousity -- who here actually posesses the Japenese DTS director's cut on DVD?

Later,

Matt
Mine is on it's way from Amazon.co.jp. Hopefully I'll have it in my hands soon!