Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think Palpatine is Darth Sidious?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the surface is may seem that the two are one and the same, but I wonder if there will be some twist to it.

Also interesting to note that Sidious, unlike Palpatine, seems to have more interest in destroying Anakin than recruiting him (which is made clearer in the Clone Wars cartoons)!

Also, I wonder how Lucas will explain why the Jedi disappear when they die after Anakin turned to the dark side, yet before that they did not.
Old 10-21-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait.. they're played by the same actor?!?!?

Wait wait.. is Darth Vader really Leia's father?
Old 10-21-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Anakin will explain the spirit thing as he said he would find a way that people wouldn't die. so it will be explained.
Old 10-21-04, 07:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
OMG CENSORSHIP
Old 10-21-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
wait.. they're played by the same actor?!?!?
I'm aware of that. Like I said on the surface they're one and the same. But there's got to be some twist. Especially since Palpatine favors Anakin, but Sidious wants him dead.
Old 10-21-04, 11:43 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah they're the same actor, but I wonder if Lucas will put a twist on it. Maybe Sideous is Palpatines evil brother. Could Senator Palpatine actually be a good guy?
Old 10-21-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Fok
Yeah they're the same actor, but I wonder if Lucas will put a twist on it. Maybe Sideous is Palpatines evil brother. Could Senator Palpatine actually be a good guy?
I thought of something like that but that's impossible. Because on starwars.com it states that Senator Palpatine becomes Emperor Palpatine.

Here's a twist: there's 3 forces at work.

1) The republic

2) Palpatine trying to recruit Anakin to the dark side

3) Sideous and Dooku

#2 wins over #1 and #3.

But that doesn't explain Sideous' influence over the senate :/

Last edited by Class316; 10-21-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 12:00 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe Sideous kills Palpatine and takes his name, then becomes the Emperor.
Old 10-21-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Fok
Maybe Sideous kills Palpatine and takes his name, then becomes the Emperor.
I doubt that. As I said, Senator Palpatine is the same as Emperor Palpatine, as stated in starwars.com. So there's no sense in debating that point.
Old 10-21-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Lucas isn't smart enough to offer any twists on Palpatine/Sideous. Besides, at what point did Sideous say flat out he wanted to kill Anakin? I think he's always wanted to turn him.
Old 10-21-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Lucas isn't smart enough to offer any twists on Palpatine/Sideous. Besides, at what point did Sideous say flat out he wanted to kill Anakin? I think he's always wanted to turn him.
Palpatine tries to manipulate Anakin. Sideous sends an assasin to kill him in Clone Wars Season 1.
Old 10-21-04, 04:02 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Class316
I doubt that. As I said, Senator Palpatine is the same as Emperor Palpatine, as stated in starwars.com. So there's no sense in debating that point.
You never know, but we'll find out next year I guess.
Old 10-21-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Palpatine tries to manipulate Anakin. Sideous sends an assasin to kill him in Clone Wars Season 1.
Perhaps he sent an assassin to test his skills..?
Old 10-21-04, 04:44 PM
Cool New Member

Also, I wonder how Lucas will explain why the Jedi disappear when they die after Anakin turned to the dark side, yet before that they did not.

I think Lucas has already explained that Obi-Wan isn't actually killed by Vader -- he gives himself, surrenders himself, to the force when he knows he's about to die. Same with Yoda. Hence, the disappearing. Whereas Qui-Gon and the Jedis in the arena don't disappear because they're killed in action. Supposedly this'll be detailed in Ep. 3.
Old 10-21-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Perhaps he sent an assassin to test his skills..?
Still, why risk it?

Originally posted by JONA99
I think Lucas has already explained that Obi-Wan isn't actually killed by Vader -- he gives himself, surrenders himself, to the force when he knows he's about to die. Same with Yoda. Hence, the disappearing. Whereas Qui-Gon and the Jedis in the arena don't disappear because they're killed in action. Supposedly this'll be detailed in Ep. 3.
Qui-Gon was "ready" to die in the end. Also, Vader disappears too.
Old 10-21-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Vader gets creamated, which could be considered disappearing, from a certain point of view.

Maybe Sideous is a clone of Palpatine.
Old 10-21-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jason
Vader gets creamated, which could be considered disappearing, from a certain point of view.
His Helmet was. Look again, he disappears when he dies.

Maybe Sideous is a clone of Palpatine.
Possibly. Though I wonder why the evil Palpatine would let his clone run things.
Old 10-21-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His Helmet was. Look again, he disappears when he dies.

Um... no.
Old 10-22-04, 10:18 AM
Retired

Still, why risk it?
To see if he was worthy of being his apprentice. If he couldn't kill an assassin, Sidious could probably find a better apprentice to turn elsewhere.
Old 10-22-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess the mysterious connection between Sideous and Palpatine will be released in May 2005. We shall see if they’re indeed one and the same.
Old 10-23-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lucas isn't smart enough to offer any twists on Palpatine/Sideous
Lucas would have to be the dumbest bastard alive to offer any twist to it, because it's asinine and downright stupid.

Folks, Palpatine is Sidious. There's none of this clone garbage some fans have speculated about. There's none of these other idiotic theories. Palpatine is Sidious. They are one in the same. So no, it's not possible.
Old 10-23-04, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Lucas is definitely playing the "is he, isn't he" card to the fullest... it's quite possible Palpatine is a forceless clone being directed by Sidious to do his bidding in the senate, and will be killed in RoTS with Sidious assuming Palpatine's life. Or, the more obvious thing would be that they are the same exact person.

Time will tell.

I also believe we will find out that Anakin/Vader's life will be tied to Sidious' life through the force. This will be what Anakin means by "stopping people from dying."

If you watch RoTJ closely, Vader states that it is too late for him, and that he MUST obey his master... only at the end to sacrifice his own life to save Luke by killing his master and life source. This could also explain why the Emperor looks so wretched in the OT. The use of the force to sustain Vader takes a toll on him.

Or Hell, I could be wrong. I've made it a point not to read spoilers, so I don't consider any of my guesses to be taken as such. We'll see in May.
Old 10-23-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I know Lucas approved the cartoon, but I just don't consider these "canon"...I put them in with the Star Wars books, which I don't consider canon, either.
Old 10-23-04, 11:43 PM
Banned

I've noticed the the StarWars movies take from parts of the Bible.
So I'm guessing that Senator Palpatine is human and Sideous is sprit. But Palpatine gets killed and then the sprit of Sideous goes inside Palpatine and becomes this all powerful Emperor.
This is of course what happens in the Bible's book of Revelation where the anti-christ is killed, but Satan enters the body of the dead anti-christ and rules the world.
Old 10-24-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I know Lucas approved the cartoon, but I just don't consider these "canon"...I put them in with the Star Wars books, which I don't consider canon, either.
Actually, the Clone Wars cartoons are very canon as they are linking the movies together and characters are going to be ported over. It's a way to tell the story without wasting screen time on introductions.

As for why he would try to send a sith(in training) to kill anakin... To bring him closer to the dark side. It isn't to hard to realize that a jedi has to kill to take it's place or get a step closer to the dark side. He took one step killing off the sand people, another in killing off, or atleast finishing off asijj or whatever her name is. THAT is why he sent her to kill anakin. To test him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.