Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2 things on Donnie Darko DC

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ReduxGuy
Well, the official artwork, courtesy of DVD Answers, is up.

Truthfully, it's intriguing, but not really my style.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...5193&n=1&burl=
I like that it is very different looking from the original release, but it looks liek a quick hack job IMO. Proportionally it doesn't look right, but that is probably nitpicking. Still picking it up regardless.
Old 11-18-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't care for that cover one bit.
They should have used the R2 cover.
Old 11-19-04, 01:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silly cover. As for the DC it is intriguing and some of the new scenes are great, but I don't like the overexplanation and overemphasis on the time travel aspect of the story here. Darko is less relatable in this version and more a clinically disturbed wacko and I miss the rabbit's line "I'm sorry" in the dark theatre which foreshadowed later events.
Old 11-19-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
wow, I'm glad I picked up the R2 as that white cover sucks.
Old 11-19-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Running time: 253 minutes
Originally posted by ReduxGuy
Actually, the DC was 135 min, or 2 hr. 15 min.
Maybe the original spec for the running time is to allow you to go set fire to a self-help guru's house.
Old 11-20-04, 12:41 PM
Cool New Member

I have only one question : where is gone the DTS track from the r2 relase ?????

Now it's an hard choice : get a pal speed up dts release or the ntsc dolby one ...........

hummm .....
Old 11-20-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The running time of 253 minutes includes the feature plus bonus materials.

I have only one question : where is gone the DTS track from the r2 relase ?????

Now it's an hard choice : get a pal speed up dts release or the ntsc dolby one ...........
Seriously, does a DTS track really matter for a low budget film like Donnie Darko? Sure, the Director's Cut got a remixed soundtrack, but still... I'd take NTSC and no DTS over PAL speed-up and DTS.
Old 11-20-04, 03:57 PM

whats the difference between this release and the CE Tin? I have that one and am considering making it a triple dip (also had the original R1 release). i know that with the tin, the DTS track is only for german. what else?
Old 11-20-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The CE Tin included the following three features currently not available in R1: 15 Cast & Crew Interviews, B-Roll footage, and the entire film score (either in Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM).

The interview footage and the B-Roll footage was on the R2 DC DVD (along with the original R2 DVD); but no word if they will make it on the R1 DC DVD.

And as we all know, that entire film score in DD 5.1/PCM will probably not show up anywhere else.
Old 11-30-04, 01:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I just watched the Region 2 UK Edition last night (movie only) and was floored by the 5.1 DTS track (wow, I mean wow - when Frank's disembodied voice reverbed in the entire room, that was beyond impressive).
Old 11-30-04, 01:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Giles
I just watched the Region 2 UK Edition last night (movie only) and was floored by the 5.1 DTS track (wow, I mean wow - when Frank's disembodied voice reverbed in the entire room, that was beyond impressive).
Thanks

Maybe we will have to wait for a r3 or r2 JAP release for a NTSC DTS .............
I'm definitely not picking up the r1!

++ Mat
Old 03-17-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone else find the extras disc on the R2 release to be... shitty?
The meat of this disc are the featurettes, but they end up being all English productions. I don't care what some whiney beer guzzling British wanker thinks about the movie. The editing and lighting direction are terrible, like, backyard production terrible. I'm sure Richard Kelly would be dissapointed with this. The tone and quality doesn't match the film at all.
On top of that the production diary audio is out of whack and just unwatchable, cause you don't know what they're saying.
I really am dissapointed with the extras disc. Luckily I'm a big enough fan of the movie to hold on to it just for the first disc.
Old 03-17-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fmian
The meat of this disc are the featurettes, but they end up being all English productions. I don't care what some whiney beer guzzling British wanker thinks about the movie.
We love you too

I bought the R1
Old 03-17-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
We love you too

I bought the R1
Dude, I'm in the UK right now, visiting my British in-laws.
What I'm trying to say is that I'm allowed to say bad things about British people because I'm married to one.

Seriously though, you have no idea how those featurettes taint the movie. It's depressing.
Old 03-17-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dude, I'm in the UK right now, visiting my British in-laws.
What I'm trying to say is that I'm allowed to say bad things about British people because I'm married to one.

Seriously though, you have no idea how those featurettes taint the movie. It's depressing.
Well, I can imagine. There is one of the British featurettes on the Region 1 ("They Made Me Do It Too: The Cult of Donnie Darko"), where there are interviews with fans and British tabloid critics, but I didn't make it all the way through to the end when watching as it was pretty dull.

When Momentum announced the specs for the Region 2 Director's Cut, I looked at the extras, thought "meh" and decided to wait for the Region 1. Sadly, there's not much of interest on the Region 1 either, but the best thing is the "#1 Fan" mockumentary by the winner of the fan competition. Now that did hold my interest. Damn, that was funny. The guy's not British either
Old 03-17-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well the other featurette is about a bunch of graffiti artists in the UK who have been inspired by Donnie Darko and have been given about 6 hours to create work based on the movie. The quality is worse than the other one, and needless to say most of the art produced sucks. The opening shows one of the artists in slo-mo walking around with what appears to be a long can of Stella Artois in his hand. Hence the reference to Beer Guzzling Wankers.

I might have to track down the #1 Fan video off the net. Then again maybe not.
Old 03-17-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well the other featurette is about a bunch of graffiti artists in the UK who have been inspired by Donnie Darko and have been given about 6 hours to create work based on the movie. The quality is worse than the other one, and needless to say most of the art produced sucks. The opening shows one of the artists in slo-mo walking around with what appears to be a long can of Stella Artois in his hand. Hence the reference to Beer Guzzling Wankers.
Ah, we call them "Chavs"

I might have to track down the #1 Fan video off the net. Then again maybe not.
Seriously, it's funny. The guy did it as a spoof and he stalks Kelly