Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody else drastically reduce numbers of dvds purchased?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anybody else drastically reduce numbers of dvds purchased?

Old 10-15-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've slowed down a lil bit but not a lot. Right now I'm tryin' to weed through my DVDs and get rid of them at Blockbuster. I still have hundreds of unwatched DVDs so I've been watching 1-2 a day now to see if I wanna get rid of them.
Old 10-15-04, 08:06 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got rid of 70 dvd, i know i will never watch, alot were still sealed but no rewatchable value plus no sale value, so BB it is
Old 10-15-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have probably thinned the herd by maybe a couple hundred over the last year or so. I am to the point now where I am starting to sell off movies that are "good" but when would I rewatch that. Problem is, I have switched to buying used. Between Digital Eyes and the trade forum I buy in bunches. I think for the 60+ leaving the last two months, 50+ has come in. After checking resale/trade value, I will buy groups of movies knowing full well, I may only keep one of the 10 I buy.

I can't really say buying has slowed, but I am cleaning out my collection. If I can ever get up the nerve, it will really be cleaned out. I could probably get it down to 100 if I could force myself to answer honestly is it a movie you will rewatch.
Old 10-15-04, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Yeah, I've gone the blockbuster route and unloaded a TON of discs I am just never going to watch again. To be fair, a great number of them were culled from the herd and have been living in my closet for a while now. I just never got around to e-baying them.

This is the next best thing, and a LOT less work.

Now I'm going through and pruning out the "Am I really EVER going to watch this again" in round 2. This is the tough round, because most everything I was 'ehh, whatever' about was pulled in round 1. What discs will make the cut? Will there be another lightning round? Only time will tell.
Old 10-15-04, 01:57 PM

I think I bought about 100 movies in the first two years after I got a DVD player. Then for the first time in my life I got a girlfriend, which did three things:
1) Reduced available cash
2) Reduced available time
3) All but eliminated the self-esteem problem that had me compulsively buying 4-5 DVDs a month.

In the two years since I started dating her I've cut it down a lot. Even after we broke up I didn't really pick up again. Now I figure that buying Angel or Buffy every 3 months translates to 2 new releases or 3-4 bargain DVDs, so I can't buy much else.

It's starting to crop back up, though, now that I'm single, out of college and have a well-paying job. It's an equation for disaster.
Old 10-15-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've slowed down because the number of bargains has decreased in the past few years as well as the fact that I've already gotten all of the older movies that I wanted. Now when I buy, I'm just buying new releases.
Old 10-15-04, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Neeperando
Then for the first time in my life I got a girlfriend, which did three things:
1) Reduced available cash
2) Reduced available time
3) All but eliminated the self-esteem problem that had me compulsively buying 4-5 DVDs a month.

So true. Personally I found myself buying less because most of the catalog titles I want are out.
Old 10-15-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've only decreased my buying in the last month...and that is about to end. when you run a small but busy company, and put in over 60 hour weeks the last 5 weeks...it leaves little time for buying anything. I've still managed to hook up with around 6 a week...even though thats down from 10+ a week. the busy season is winding down, so all should be back to normal in a few weeks. plus...our move into the new house seemed to take forever and we are still not unpacked.

I don't do much "weeding out" because I make purchases to keep. since I'm building a library for enjoyment, research and as a historical tool...titles are added and those titles stay, for a reason. since I don't collect crap...theres nothing to toss out. I keep most titles that are upgraded...usually just as back-ups. when I do get rid of something...it's usually donated to a library or hospital.

nope...my buying is soon back on the increase. which is easy. there are still over 500 titles I can use, if not more.

it's going to be a complete library. not a half-assed one.
Old 10-15-04, 04:59 PM

Buying has increased but am getting better deals since I wait for new releases to show up in 2 for $20 in a few months. Plus the whole tv dvd is becoming bad since I want to upgrade from my vhs of many shows.
Old 10-15-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I decreased my buying a lot when I lost my job. Now that I'm working again, I'm back to buying what I want. There just seem be less than there used to be. December 7 and 14 will change that, however...
Old 10-15-04, 07:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have decreased alot, for several reasons. First, the price of rentals/DVD rental selection was increased greatly in the past two years (before that even catalog title rentals were $3.49 around here, now there's a place within walking distance where they are 49 cents a pop). Second, I got on Netflix for those more obscure titles. Lastly, I finally learned to tell the difference between a movie I liked but would probably never watch again, and those with actual rewatch value.
Old 10-15-04, 07:18 PM

I usually buy 2-3 a week depending. Now that fall is here, the summer titles are being released so that increases my number per week. But like others have said, I buy what I want, when I want it.

doc
Old 10-15-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definately decreasing. I've gotten most of the catalog titles I want, and nothing new is grabbing me like it used to.
Old 10-15-04, 07:34 PM
mwj

From January to May of 2004 I went cold turkey. Since then I have set a $60 per month budget for DVDs and PC games and have been able to keep it pretty easily. Trying to get my credit cards payed off was a big incentive to stick with this plan.
Old 10-15-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My buying has really gone down lately... I have a few trips planned between now and March and need every penny I can get. But I still pick up a few here and there.
Old 10-15-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts
I am trying desperately to continue reducing the number I buy. I have already slashed the amount and want to start buying even fewer, at least until I get my credit cards back under control again.
Old 10-15-04, 11:02 PM
Cool New Member

i haven't bought a single dvd in about half a year or so. i missed a lot of good titles that i probably would have bought before... but not anymore i guess. i am about to make a big criterion purchase though. i'm over getting dvds just to have them. heh.

and just because i don't have anywhere else to put this, my silence of the lambs CC has many light scratches on it, and the insert has a mug imprint/ring on it... which obviously is not my fault. i almost feel like purchasing another copy. it's a site for sore eyes, and i can't stop whining about it. it's no big deal i know, as the lambs CC is relatively cheap compared to other OOPs, but oh well.
Old 10-16-04, 02:02 AM

All the companies going "cheap" on discs has slowed me down. Crap packaging, no inserts, single disc sets, shoddy transfers and quintuple dipping all have contributed to pissing me off.

Also with the availabilty of Netflix or BB Pass it makes it easier to rent the blind buys and just buy nice sets like the upcoming Hellboy and LOTR EE. I miss things like the nice Vista series.

All the people saying they just want the film and don't care about anything else (thanks alot) may have had an impact, but I assume studios are also just trying to pad the bottom line.

I am now buying maybe 1 a month as opposed to 1 or 2 weekly.
Old 10-16-04, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My purchasing has increased since January and I buy dvds twice a week now instead of once. This week alone I have bought 8 dvds and 5 box sets. Tonight on Amazon.ca I purchased 2 more box sets.
Old 10-16-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For years I was "catching" up, replacing old VHS tapes and LD's.

Now that I'm caught up....its just new stuff.

I average about $50-$100 a month now, depending on what comes out.

Lately I've been buying alot of TV shows, by season.
Old 10-16-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I try to be much more selective when buying. I'm also trying to be more critical of titles and whether I need to keep them. I have over 600 titles and probably at least 100 I haven't seen yet, so to say I need 500 I want to see again is not realistic.
Old 10-16-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of my childhood favorites have already been released; so it's mostly waiting for new movies to come out.
Old 10-16-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually buy 1 or 2 a week, but am concentrating on TV Boxsets at moment (collecting Stargate SG1 at the moment, will then move on the Star Trek TNG and TOS).

Although the next few months seems quite busy for movies with the likes of Spiderman 2 and Shrek 2 coming out (and of course ROTK!!! )
Old 10-16-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trying, but it's not really working out.
Old 10-19-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As much as I'd like to be cutting back, I have to say no. I looked ahead to the rest of the year and it looks like I'll be getting an average of about 2 per week, which is slightly below "normal" for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.