Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fahrenheit 9/11 DVD sales...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by kayak99
I would like to see the thing, but I will not buy it. I did not like Columbine (I fell asleep) but find true documentaries interesting. Too bad Moore did not do this. Hurts his credibility except with the radicals who will belive anything or any rumor regardless of who its about.

If he wins best picture it will be because the make up of the film industriy is predomantly democratic.

BTW, for the record I am an undecided voter, although I am very disturbed by the fact Florida was hijacked last election. I vote whats best for the country - period.
There is no clear evidence Florida was hijacked. You shouldn't believe every rumor.
Old 10-09-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...as there is no clear evidence that this film is .....
Originally posted by Bill Needle
...an infomercial for the left wing propagandist and bloviator himself, nothing more.
...you should not believe every rumor.

Pro-B
Old 10-09-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
...as there is no clear evidence that this film is .....

Pro-B
No offense, but you are 100% wrong on that. There is a massive amount information readily available which debunks most of the movie's sophistry. But don't let actual facts get in the way of enjoying Moore's version of them. To each his own.

Moore may be a demagogue, but he's not stupid. He knows how easily he can be and has been disproven. But Moore loves the attention and needs the money more than he needs credibility. Getting those "working man" costume stains out of his limo and chartered jet's seats can be expensive.
Old 10-09-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
No offense, but you are 100% wrong on that. There is a massive amount information readily available which debunks most of the movie's sophistry. But don't let actual facts get in the way of enjoying Moore's version of them. To each his own.

Moore may be a demagogue, but he's not stupid. He knows how easily he can be and has been disproven. But Moore loves the attention and needs the money more than he needs credibility. Getting those "working man" costume stains out of his limo and chartered jet's seats can be expensive.
I heard he drives a Beetle.
Old 10-09-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I'm not a big Moore fan but I take his films for what they are, interesting but biased op'ed pieces. I'm fully aware that he distorts, exaggerates, stretches and spins "facts" to make his point. What boggles my mind is that the mostly conservative crowd that bashes him are too blinded by partisanship to realize that he uses the exact same tactics that the Bush administration (and to be fair, probably most politicians in power) uses on a daily basis, but they don't have any problem with that whatsoever. Moreover, I'm convinced that if Moore presented THEIR point of view using similar bias, that they'd be jumping for joy trumpetting how brilliant he is.
Old 10-09-04, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by kayak99
I would like to see the thing, but I will not buy it.
BTW, for the record I am an undecided voter, although I am very disturbed by the fact Florida was hijacked last election. I vote whats best for the country - period.
You should consider renting the movie if you don't want to buy it. See what the fuss is about and make up your own mind whether you think its a good film or not.

Given your last statement, I bet you find much in the movie to make you think about what is best for the country.
Old 10-09-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Man, where did I put my Entertainment Weekly?
Old 10-09-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eXcentris
Moreover, I'm convinced that if Moore presented THEIR point of view using similar bias, that they'd be jumping for joy trumpetting how brilliant he is.
I couldn't agree more. The left does not own a corner on the market of gullible and bitter partisans.
Old 10-09-04, 10:26 PM

Not Elgible For An Oscar!!

ThatGuamGuy mentioned earlier that Moore wasn't going to enter this in the Academy Awards. That's right - He couldn't even if he wanted to. The Oscar rules states that any film that is to be entered for submission CANNOT have been shown on television. This film was shown in CUBA therefore it isn't elgible for submission.

He really goofed when he allowed this to be broadcasted before the Oscars!!!

Last edited by dallas75205; 10-09-04 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-09-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Now on to F-9/11 (and any other Michael Moore film)....I am still amazed at how many people are so willing to be lied to for ~2 hours, not to mention to pay to be lied to.
I'm still amazed that you feel the need to post in every Michael Moore thread, even after you've been suspended multiple times. Not to mention, you're consistently wrong on facts.

As alot of people say about movies and their sequals, Michael Moore should have quit with Roger & Me when he was ahead.
Moore's movies have neither sequals or sequels. Well, he did a brief follow-up piece to 'Roger' for PBS, but that's the closest he's come. So this point is confusing (and not because of the spelling error).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Moore state in F-9/11 that "There is no terrorist threat"?
You're wrong, although he does compare statistics based on number of Americans killed by terrorists vs. other things. But I'm sure you didn't even see the movie, which makes the whole question of Why are you talking about the movie?? even more confusing.

Now if he and anyone believes that for a second, then they've got a serious problem. And they'd be better off moving to la-la land.
Moore and I both live in the city which was attacked by terrorists, Mike. For whatever it's worth, though, I agree with you; that straw man set up by people who hate Moore *is* generally wrong.
Old 10-09-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Not Elgible For An Oscar!!

Originally posted by dallas75205
ThatGuamGuy mentioned earlier that Moore wasn't going to enter this in the Academy Awards. That's right - He couldn't even if he wanted to. The Oscar rules states that any film that is to be entered for submission CANNOT have been shown on television. This film was shown in CUBA therefore it isn't elgible for submission.

He really goofed when he allowed this to be broadcasted before the Oscars!!!
Was nearly disqualified for Oscar consideration because of a July 2004 airing on Cuban television. After this was revealed to be an illegal broadcast from a bootleg disk, the Academy cleared it for eligibility.
Old 10-10-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 DVD sales...

Originally posted by Duality
on the first day of release were spectacular according to the Hollywood Reporter.

I'm watching my copy tonight. BTW, the packaging looks great and I found it on sale for $15.
About the packaging:

I went to Target to pickup Aladdin (best price I could find), while I was there I saw F 9-11. So I read the back to see what in the DVD. As I read the back something started botherering me about the DVD, but I could not figure it out. A few minutes later, I saw what the problem was.

-It was the cover. M Moore edit his own face to make the DVD more attractive.
1. The folder was in front of his lower face (we cannot see his un-kept beard)
2. His face on the cover was much thinner than his real face (now and when he was fliming the movie)
3. The picture looked like a much younger picture of MM, not a picture of the MM that filmed the movie.

Just another way that M. Moore can change a few things to make it look just the way he wants it to be, not the way it really is.

Cover of F 9-11
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

M. Moore on May 22nd 2004
http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif
Old 10-10-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Not Elgible For An Oscar!!

Originally posted by cerial442
Was nearly disqualified for Oscar consideration because of a July 2004 airing on Cuban television. After this was revealed to be an illegal broadcast from a bootleg disk, the Academy cleared it for eligibility.
LOL!

So the self appointed president for life and maximum leader couldn't wait to air F 9/11 to his people. Don't get between a third world communist dictator and his Michael Moore. But it's not anti-American propaganda, ohhh no!
Old 10-10-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Not Elgible For An Oscar!!

LOL!

So the self appointed president for life and maximum leader couldn't wait to air F 9/11 to his people. Don't get between a third world communist dictator and his Michael Moore. But it's not anti-American propaganda, ohhh no!
This is a herring. Red is its color.
Old 10-10-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 DVD sales...

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
About the packaging:

I went to Target to pickup Aladdin (best price I could find), while I was there I saw F 9-11. So I read the back to see what in the DVD. As I read the back something started botherering me about the DVD, but I could not figure it out. A few minutes later, I saw what the problem was.

-It was the cover. M Moore edit his own face to make the DVD more attractive.
1. The folder was in front of his lower face (we cannot see his un-kept beard)
2. His face on the cover was much thinner than his real face (now and when he was fliming the movie)
3. The picture looked like a much younger picture of MM, not a picture of the MM that filmed the movie.

Just another way that M. Moore can change a few things to make it look just the way he wants it to be, not the way it really is.

Cover of F 9-11
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

M. Moore on May 22nd 2004
http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif

This "very important" news will surely keep me awake in a cold sweat from weeks, if not months or years.

Or maybe for as long as we're fighting a "war on terror."
Old 10-10-04, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not Elgible For An Oscar!!

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
This is a herring. Red is its color.
Boy you really zinged me there. Completely destroyed my point.
Old 10-10-04, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Glad to see nothing has changed in these moore threads.
Old 10-10-04, 07:54 AM

it's not anti-American propaganda
Yes...it's NOT anti-American propaganda!

One can dislike Michael Moore. Hate the film. Dislike the bias of the film. But it is NOT anti-American or anti-patriotic. The film has documented facts but is presented with a bias by design. Michael Moore said that it's not "fair and balanced." It's not intended to be, any more than Fox News is a "fair and balanced" news network. They just "pretend" to be.

Also, Moore tried (unsuccessfully it appears) to get the film on American TV before the election so that it could reach more people. Sacrificing an Oscar nomination is not important to him.
Old 10-10-04, 09:44 AM

LOL!

How does being Anti-Bush equal being Anti-american,I sure and heck do not think they are one in the same
Old 10-10-04, 04:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not Elgible For An Oscar!!

Originally posted by NEUMANN
How does being Anti-Bush equal being Anti-american,I sure and heck do not think they are one in the same
\

So one of you right wing war mongers argue with that statement
Old 10-10-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
God. I thought this thread was about the SALES of the film. Not the stance or positions it takes. It's just as bad as Passions. Sure I may not have liked the film, but I was perfectly willing to put my distaste for the film aside to discuss the actual sales of it.

Prediction: closed in 2 more pages at this rate.
Old 10-10-04, 05:51 PM

Here is a quote that I wholeheartedly agree with:
"Michael Moore once claimed that Amercians are the stupidest people in the world. With Fahrenheit 9/11 raking in over a 100 million dollars, he finally has proof."

Yes, the movie has earned a ton of money. So has Nigerian 419 Scams. The revenues should not be mistaken for proof of its validity.

If you care to read about the factual inaccuracies of the movie, take the time to read this page:

http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fift...enheit-911.htm

Enjoy!
Old 10-10-04, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
God. I thought this thread was about the SALES of the film. Not the stance or positions it takes. It's just as bad as Passions. Sure I may not have liked the film, but I was perfectly willing to put my distaste for the film aside to discuss the actual sales of it.

Prediction: closed in 2 more pages at this rate.
And that is all well and good,but i will not stand by as posters such as mike lowery and bill needles call this movie anti-american.Whether you agree with the movie (and its facts) or not has nothing to do with this film being anti-american.

Michael Moore happens to think this is an unjust war and he has a right to say so as do i because i happen to agree,and i find it appalling to see posters calling this movie anti-american just because they do not believe the war in Iraq is unjust.

I have been born and raised in america and believe it is the greatest country in mankinds history and i take offense to people that think that opposeing the war is anti-american(which you must if you call this movie anti-american),whether you are right or wrong about the war has nothing to do abought being anti-american.You can call it lies or whatever you want i could care less,but one of my best friends lost there son in iraq and he,his son(while he was alive) and myself did not believe in this war.

So i say to you,say whatever you want about this movie,but damn you to hell if you call it anti-american,and if the mods cared anything about this thread they would have closed it when mike lowery or bill needles called this an anti-american movie
Old 10-10-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's funny that I said some anti-Moore remark in a bargains thread and totally got reprimanded for hijacking a thread.

Now everyone here is doing the same thing (on both sides) and where are the reprimands?
Old 10-10-04, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I think it's funny that I said some anti-Moore remark in a bargains thread and totally got reprimanded for hijacking a thread.

Now everyone here is doing the same thing (on both sides) and where are the reprimands?
Yes i am wondering the same thing,i have read this thread for 2 days and was not going to respond as i have learned from before that Moore threads lend themselves to controversy and figured the mods would reprimand people like mike lowery and bill needles for calling the movie anti-american in a thread concerned about the DVD sales of this disc,but as they did not after 2 days and seeing people call this movie anti-american,i buckled in and had to have my say,say what you want about this movie,whether you agree with it or not, but you damn well better not call it anti-american,go ahead and suspend me for making these comments if you want,i just will not stand by when people that have an opposing view of events call others that do not support there view anti-american

Last edited by NEUMANN; 10-10-04 at 06:35 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.