Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Empire of Dreams and other extras: anyone else dissapointed?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Empire of Dreams and other extras: anyone else dissapointed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-04, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Ha, Jack abrasive!

But yeah, to expect the documentary to highlight how fans are pissed about this and that is inane, no company would ever do that. I can't think of a single documentary included with a film that spent time in a documentary discussing how fans didn't like the movies, or didn't like the changes. Even the best docus, Heartso f Darkness or 12 monkeys, just give you very detailed explanations of how the films were made, but hardly badmouth the film or the reaction to it.

Granted, the Episode I documentary felt more in depth then this one, but I still thought it was quite good. It showed a lot of the troubles the production had, as opposed to just saying how everyone loved each other. I don't expect them to talk about the fan hatred over the changes since, well, I do think that that's a very small minority.
*clears throat* The matrix megaboxset is coming w/ 3 commentaries from critics who hated every one of the movies.
Old 10-04-04, 12:19 AM

I really enjoyed the Empire of Dreams documentary. The only problem I had with it was the lack of information about Empire and Jedi. Seemed to really focus on Lucas himself in the beginning (which was fine) and then A New Hope. Unfortunately it seems like it didn't leave that much time left over for the sequels. But all in all, informative and entertaining.
Old 10-04-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by pomodoro
*clears throat* The matrix megaboxset is coming w/ 3 commentaries from critics who hated every one of the movies.
Alright never isn't the right word. But in general you won't see outright negativity. The Matrix thing is interesting, though those filmmakers are quite unique. There are some, say David Lynch and the South Park boys who might do something like that, but in general it's not something you'll ever see.
Old 10-04-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would anyone who would buy the set want a bunch of stuff bashing the films? (there is already way too much of that on the net) If you hate it, why would you buy it to begin with?

To coincide with an earlier post I see the only way negative features work is when critics or a group of people really hate a film and it is still a hugh hit. (I've mostly seen it on horror films and comedies) Its kind of like a big FU to them.
Old 10-04-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
I wish Hardware Wars was on the set. Very funny parody of Star Wars, its was only about maybe 10-15 min long, but Wookie was a big Cookie Monster puppet, Leia had two big cinnamon roll buns on her hair, the ships were nothing but steaming irons, and you could'nt understand what Darth Vader was saying at all.
Old 10-04-04, 11:05 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was perfectly happy wiht the extras, and loved the Empire of Dreams documentary.
Old 10-04-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dom56
I wish Hardware Wars was on the set. Very funny parody of Star Wars, its was only about maybe 10-15 min long, but Wookie was a big Cookie Monster puppet, Leia had two big cinnamon roll buns on her hair, the ships were nothing but steaming irons, and you could'nt understand what Darth Vader was saying at all.
Hardware Wars isn't owned by Lucas or Fox. Besides, it is already out on DVD. I am not sure whether it is still in print, but it appears to be orderable through the web site of the company that produced it (www.mwp.com).
Old 10-04-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed Empire of Dreams a lot.
Old 10-04-04, 03:56 PM
Suspended

Nope
Old 10-04-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally posted by dvdaddiction
I really enjoyed the Empire of Dreams documentary. The only problem I had with it was the lack of information about Empire and Jedi. Seemed to really focus on Lucas himself in the beginning (which was fine) and then A New Hope. Unfortunately it seems like it didn't leave that much time left over for the sequels. But all in all, informative and entertaining.
This is pretty much how I felt. While I enjoyed the documentary a lot, I felt it short changed ESB and ROTJ.
Old 10-04-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shizawn
This is pretty much how I felt. While I enjoyed the documentary a lot, I felt it short changed ESB and ROTJ.
Yeah, they did run rather quick thru those 2
Old 10-04-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts
I just remembered something else that kinda disappointed me, and did on the Eps 1 and 2 DVDs also. On the 2000 VHS release, the big thing advertised was the Ep 2 preview. Well, I happened across a loose copy of Ep IV at a pawn shop, and they were having a sale on VHS, so my wife got some anime and I picked up the Star Wars tape. Well, the Ep 2 preview was pretty lame as expected, but what I fell in love with was a teaser for basically the saga at that point (4-6 and 1). It was set to Duel of the Fates and intercut footage from all four films, with a lot of parallels seen between the OT and just TPM. I have kept that tape just because of that promo. I have hoped and wished and dreamed for a 16x9 5.1 version on one of the DVD releases, and have been disappointed everytime. I even sent a message to the Jedi Council thing on the official site. To no avail.

If anybody knows of another Fox DVD, or maybe a THX demo disc that has that, I'd be might grateful for the info.
Old 10-05-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Finally got around to watching it just now, and i thought it was pretty good. I'm not a very big Star Wars fan, and just about all the information was new and informative to me.
Old 10-05-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm happy with the documentary. And I *LOVED* the many alternate takes of scenes that they included -- note to Lucasfilm: We need more of this. I could watch 10 hours of that alone.

My critiques:

1. I wanted deleted scenes. George, you don't have to "finish" the scenes. Just show them to be in raw form. I don't need CGI criters in my Biggs scenes. I don't need to see a RotJ CGI sandstorm. Just show 'em.

2. The 80s documentaries. They should have made these 4 classic documentaries available, either at select retailers as a bonus, or via a mail in offer.

3. Return of the Jedi gets shafted again. Most of the Lucas biographies or making-of books that you read spend VERY little time on the making of RotJ. This documentary was no different. That entire production seems to be shrowded in secrecy for some reason. I would have done four 1-hour documentaries. 1. Set-up, Lucas at school, THX, graffiti, geting SW off the ground. 2. Star Wars. 3. ESB 4. RotJ

But, overall, I'm not really 'disappointed' with the extras. And I assume that there is much more coming my way in the 2007 uber-edition.
Old 10-05-04, 02:00 PM

Like others, I am dissapointed that there was no deleted scenes or the 1980's documentaries or the original Star Wars documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2.

Other things I wish was included was some :
costume sketches,

a progressive design featurette that would show early concept to final design approval of ships, vehicles, weapons, creatures and other things.

Instead of just 1 audio commentary how about several, 1 would have been George Lucas by himself, 2nd could have been Lucas and art department personnal, 3rd could have been special effects crew and the fourth could have been cast including, Hamill, Fisher, Ford, James Earl Jones and others.

A tour of the LucasFilm archives that would show masks and models from the trilogy, which was included on the LaserDisc set.

Special Effects featurette.

The Boba Fett cartoon from the Holiday Special.

There's probably more, but I can't think of them right now.
Old 10-05-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want the Wampas !!!!
Old 10-10-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Putting aside the doc for a momnet. I thought that there weren't enough of varied extras. The extras on Phantome Menace and Clones were much better.

I know they had to "comb the archives" to find content where films today prepare to make extras as they make the film.

This set wasn't that disimilar to Indy Jones trilogy in their approach to the extras.
Old 10-10-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Kube is right, other than Empire of Dreams, the extras just aren't there. A couple of short features and 2 dozen trailers, promo for a video game. Lame. Commentaries are nice, but I want to see other features.

Without the big doc, the disc would be a total waste.
Old 10-10-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's pretty obvious that they're gonna release a future edition of the films either on this format or the next and with more extras. The production of this set seemed really rushed with the films themselves not even being completed. I heard the documentary didn't have much production time either.

Anyway, I really liked the documentary. I will admit that it started to feel a little long when they started talking about Yoda though.
Old 10-16-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Wars for Dummies

It should have been called Star Wars for Dummies.

The doc was not a particularly penetating or interesting study of Star Wars of Lucas. It alsmost had that PR vibe about it.

I didn't learn anything. Not a darn thing. There was only a modest amount of footage that hasn't been seen before.

The docs that are part of the Hitchcock DVDs are more serious.

This doc was for someone who thinks Star Wars began with Phantom Menace.

Crap.
Old 10-16-04, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The doc was not a particularly penetating or interesting study of Star Wars of Lucas. It alsmost had that PR vibe about it.

I didn't learn anything. Not a darn thing. There was only a modest amount of footage that hasn't been seen before.
A complete load!
Old 10-17-04, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
Re: Star Wars for Dummies

Originally posted by Kube
It should have been called Star Wars for Dummies.
you opinion, whatever

A Star Wars push on a Star Wars DVD, gasp!

Some have, many haven't

The docs that are part of the Hitchcock DVDs are more serious.
Not relevant.

This doc was for someone who thinks Star Wars began with Phantom Menace.
Did you reallly watch all of it? Don't see how you came up with that statement from the doc..

Crap.
Maybe later tonight, if I stay regular, thanks.
Old 10-17-04, 02:36 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure in a future release there will be more. But yeah, for a movie like this, its a pretty sad release. I think G.L should of taken a page out of Peter Jackson book.
Old 10-17-04, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Fok
I'm sure in a future release there will be more. But yeah, for a movie like this, its a pretty sad release. I think G.L should of taken a page out of Peter Jackson book.
What's that? re-release your movie? I think Jackson took that page out Lucas' book. There could have been ONE dvd with both TE and EE. but nope, they wanted to do two.

Of course a future release will have more. I think it's stupid to think otherwise. That is always how lucas works and for that matter, that's how Jackson has been also. I fail to see why Jackson is any different other than not altering his material. But 15 years haven't passed yet, so we have no proof that he wont. But Jackson releasing both a regular and extended edition does sound familiar... doesn't it.
Old 10-17-04, 07:56 PM

Re: Re: Star Wars for Dummies

Originally posted by The Cow

Did you reallly watch all of it? Don't see how you came up with that statement from the doc..

Well, I agree the Phantom Menace docu is truly a fabulous behind the scenes look, very much a fly on the wall approach that felt very intimate and involved. I enjoyed Empire of Dreams, but it's not as interesting or detailed as the TPM doc.

Still, Empire of Dreams is still a solid piece.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.