Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Living in a Cruel World Without a STAR TREK: GENERATIONS Trailer...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 03:55 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone help me out here--I consider myself something of an armchair scholar of films and filmmaking, but I'm truly clueless on what factor(s) has prevented us from having the trailers to STAR TREK: GENERATIONS on the latest Special Collector's Edition release. Supposedly, the trailers were left off due to an inability on Paramount's part to secure licensing rights for them. So, let me get this straight--trailers (that only used music from previous TREK films) for a movie financed and distributed by Paramount Pictures can't be provided to that same studio's home video division because Paramount can't secure licensing rights for its own material?! I completely draw a blank with this issue...

P.S. -- People who couldn't give a flip whether a DVD release has trailers or not need not threadcrap here...
Old 10-01-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
If you want to see the original STAR TREK GENERATIONS trailer, go rent or buy an old copy of WAYNE'S WORLD 2 on videocassette.

It's on there before the movie.
Old 10-01-04, 04:30 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Thanks, and I mean that, but ....VHS, like ewww...
Old 10-01-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard rumors that it was a music clearance issue. And that the trailer used Holst's THE PLANETS.

But none of that really makes any sense. Holst's work is in the public domain. And even if they didn't have the rights to the particular *performance* used, they could just replace it with a version that they had secured the rights to and/or recorded themselves.
Old 10-01-04, 06:10 PM
Banned

Word!
Old 10-01-04, 06:43 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a place we where can view it/download it online?
Old 10-01-04, 07:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111280/trailers
Old 10-01-04, 07:56 PM
Banned

All the imdb links are dead on my end...
Old 10-01-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On this topic, does anyone know why trailers are becoming increasingly rare these days on DVDs? Is it a music rights issue or is it just studios not giving a crap? I'm inclined to go with the latter since this trend seems to be restricted to specific studios(Universal and Buena Vista being the worst), not to mention the fact that forced trailers and sneak peeks for other films seem to be slapped on lots of DVDs that are missing the trailer for the actual film on the disc.
Old 10-01-04, 08:19 PM
Banned

Actually, I believe it was due to large-scale study done last year of DVD enthusiasts asking them to rank their most essential DVD extras, and trailers came out ranking relatively low. Almost immediately after these results, I noticed the nose-dive in trailers being found on discs, in some cases even missing on special edition versions of previous movie-only discs (e.g. PREDATOR, CANDYMAN, etc.), the most egregious example being studios that dropped them entirely across the board (e.g. Dreamworks). It's a damn shame because regardless of where interest in trailers ranks across the spectrum of DVD fans, for those of us who do desire them, they tend to rank at the top of essential features. Honestly, if a studio were to ask me what feature I would want on a DVD if I could only have one (barring the feature itself, natch), it would be the theatrical trailer...
Old 10-01-04, 08:46 PM
Banned

I just found the following post by an individual named Bill Williams at the HTF, and have copied it without his permission--hopefully, he won't mind:

On the full theatrical trailer that was included on the VHS tapes of Star Trek Memories (and also on the VHS of From Here to Infinity: The Ultimate Voyage), the following music is utilized:

- music from Gustav Holst's "The Planets" symphony (I believe it is the "Neptune" suite, IIRC, though I don't have my copy of the CD on hand right now)
- the TNG theme
- Cliff Eidelman's temp score music from the "Star Trek VI" trailer
- the TNG theme reprised

It becomes clearer now that the music clearance concerns had to do not only with Jerry Goldsmith's estate (with the use of Goldsmith's unreleased TMP music in the teaser trailer), but also with the Holst estate.

As for the "Nemesis" teaser and full trailer, while I'm not familiar with Danny Elfman's "Planet of the Apes" score, I'm thinking that it is indeed his music in both trailers. Ironic, though, that the "Nemesis" teaser was included on the "Star Trek III" CE DVD and the TNG Season 5 DVD set back in '02, the full theatrical trailer was not only any of the "Star Trek" DVD releases (though it was included on one of the discs of Movie FX DVD Magazine). It could have been that both trailers were simply left off the DVD because of disc space, so it's possible that they may be included in a future CE DVD release.
Old 10-01-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to admit I don't watch the trailers unless its a classic film and most of those are rerelease trailers.
Old 10-01-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as First Contact and Nemesis have trailers (and DTS), I'll be happy.
Old 10-01-04, 09:19 PM
Banned

The current FIRST CONTACT DVD has both trailers and the STAR TREK III one has, at least, NEMESIS' teaser, so (relatively speaking) whoop-dee-do if their respective collector editions don't have the trailer, you can just keep the movie-only FC and ST 3: SCE discs alongside the new discs, but the movie-only version of GENERATIONS didn't have the trailers, either, so it will stand as the only TREK movie disc without trailers, which blows...