Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars and Footloose docs

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-30-04, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought both the Star Wars Trilogy and the Footloose SE.

I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the special feature documentaries on both of them. I don't normally enjoy these kind of docs much because they are usually full of fluff. But, these were different, I really got into them.

The Star Wars Empire of Dreams doc was just splendid. It gave a lot of interesting information about all phases of the development of the movie. The best part was describing the opening day mania, the phenomenon that insued and how gratifying it was to all involved. I teared up.

The interview with the board member that said his life was changed when he saw a prescreening was just awesome. It would have been enlightening to be in that room that day.

The Footloose special feaure doc was also very entertaining. Although it was not very long it was very well made and offered a lot of great info about that moment in time and how Footloose was one of the first movies to have videos on MTV before being released to the theatres. I remember when that happened so it was interesting to see these people describe the phenomenon that swept the country and how it was so exciting to know you were a part of making it happen.

Maybe a reason why I liked them both so much is because the movies came out during my early teen years and it takes me back to fond memories of that time. Or, maybe the docs were just excellent. What do you think?
Old 09-30-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts
I think any documentary that isn't a ripoff off an Entertainment Tonight media day (star sits in front of movie poster, talks about how good his costars are) -- automatically has a quality advantage over the press kit interviews.

In other words, there's a difference between "documentary" and "promo"

Star Wars & Footloose both have documentaries
Old 09-30-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Clerks X as well. Nice to see some good documentaries getting released instead of just fluff.
Old 09-30-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen the Footloose documentary, but agree completely about Empire of Dreams -a fast-paced two-and-a-half hours that is informative and entertaining.

Anyone who really appreciates these "non-fluff" docs should check out The Hamster Factor on 12 MONKEYS.
Old 09-30-04, 07:32 PM

The Clerks X one was excellent.
Old 10-01-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 940 Likes on 663 Posts
Yep. Third the Clerks one. Star Wars was great too. Two of the best docs this year.
Old 10-01-04, 09:44 PM

The docs on episode I and II are quite good too. Also watch some of the hitchcock documentaries, they are very good.