Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

More Mad About You coming, but not Season 3...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:
Recently we've had a number of readers email us a response they received from Columbia TriStar when they asked about more Mad About You sets. The response mentions that more episodes will be coming in early 2005, and the assumption by most of the readers is that this means season 3 will be on the way. Like The Larry Sanders Show, Mad About You will receive a "Collection" release with episodes selected by the stars, Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser. We don't have many details about the new set (nothing has been announced) but we can tell you it'll contain a selection of episodes throughout the seasons, including the pilot and the finale, and will be released in a 3 disc set along with bonus material. We should see this released in early 2005.
I hope it doesn't include too many episodes from the first two seasons.

I've been waiting for more Mad About You on DVD so long, I'll probably pick this up; I just hope it sells well enough that they'll finally go back to releasing season sets.

Rob
Old 09-29-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is appalling. It started with Designing Women, and now Larry Sanders and Mad about You are following suit.

I will NOT buy Best ofs. That is where I draw the line. Not like thry care, but I have voiced my concern over the lack of of releasing the proper format to them at their e-mail address, and I recommend that everyone that hates this trend do the same:

[email protected].

Season sets only! Please!
Old 09-29-04, 12:39 PM
Cool New Member

I'm very upset by this news. It had better include season 3 episodes (especially the one where Cyndi Lauper won her Emmy as guest star)
Old 09-29-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know how well the first two seasons sold? I'm not in the habit of defending big studios who muck up DVD releases, but if in fact the first two seasons were not really profitable releases, doing a "best of" set might be the alternative they came up with rather than abandoning the show completely.
Old 09-29-04, 01:13 PM

They'll probably try this first and if it sells, then go with the box sets, much like the "Friends" compilations. Just my $0.02
Old 09-29-04, 01:17 PM
Banned

Count me in as somebody glad they are going this route. While I liked the show, I didn't like it enough to buy every episode. In a perfect world there would be both versions available.
Old 09-29-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Columbia Tri Star is really trying to kill off their sales for some of these shows, aren't they? No self respecting collector would go for this.
Old 09-29-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
No self respecting collector would go for this.
I disagree.

I like "Mad About You", but not enough to buy all the season sets. I would welcome a best of edition for shows that I would like to have some good episodes on DVD, but not whole seasons.

I think both can live together in the marketplace.
Old 09-29-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nightwing82
I disagree.

I like "Mad About You", but not enough to buy all the season sets. I would welcome a best of edition for shows that I would like to have some good episodes on DVD, but not whole seasons.

I think both can live together in the marketplace.
Then let me rephrase that: I don't think that most people who already invested in the previous season sets would go for this.

And, Nightwing, what about when their "best" episodes are not your personal "best" episodes? Surely, there will be some missing from the collection you would love to own on DVD? Which is why I despise best of sets, because it's rarely what I would consider a definitive best of collection.
Old 09-29-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Then let me rephrase that: I don't think that most people who already invested in the previous season sets would go for this.

You're probably absolutely right on that point - but if enough people had bought the already-released seasons, they would most likely have continued with them.
Old 09-29-04, 04:06 PM
Banned

And, Nightwing, what about when their "best" episodes are not your personal "best" episodes? Surely, there will be some missing from the collection you would love to own on DVD? Which is why I despise best of sets, because it's rarely what I would consider a definitive best of collection.
Then we don't buy the "best of" set either. Currently the season sets contian far too many episodes that I wouldn't place on a "best of" set and the price is set fart too high. Chances are, any "best of" set is going to have a better ratio in that regard and have a lower price.
Old 09-29-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I like Mad About You enough to buy every episode (even the crappy ones after they had the baby) but I'll still be buying the best-of set, most likely. I'd rather have some of the episodes from Season 3 and beyond than none of them. JMHO

Rob
Old 09-29-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hope to god that columbia doesn't go this way with married with children.
Old 09-29-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just in case anyone at Columbia is monitoring this forum, here's another "no sale" for these proposed "Best of" sets [and yes, I own The Larry Sanders Show: S1 (which I got for under $20 via your MySony website) and Mad About You: S1 & 2.]

Hopefully, the current management at Columbia Home Video will rethink this market strategy or, at the very least, their successors will be intelligent enough to put out seasons sets at market prices.
Old 09-29-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
i hope to god that columbia doesn't go this way with married with children.
Actually, they already did; Columbia released two "Best of" DVDs before consumer response led them to release the first two season in box sets.
Old 09-30-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
My girlfriend won't be happy about this. She was just asking me if I'd heard anything about season 3 coming out. There's no way she'll be picking up a best-of, especially since it'll contain episodes already on the two season sets she has.
Old 09-30-04, 01:05 PM

Maybe when Blu-ray comes out, they will be able to fit a whole season on one disc and retail it for 14.99. I'm sure sales for some of these shows would pick up if they did that. (Assuming Blu-ray becomes popular with the main stream public).

There's always hope.
Old 10-01-04, 02:34 PM

If the collection includes the season 3 Thanksgiving episode ("Giblets for Murray"), I'm afraid I'll have to buy it.
Old 10-01-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel violated, we NEED season three. I have already invested in the first two season's and now they are realeasing a crummy "Best of Disc".

Boooo.
Old 10-01-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mad About You Season 3 Episode Guide

Some great episodes in there. I love the ones with Eric Stoltz as Jamie's ex.

Rob