Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

is there any change Lucas DIDN'T make, but you feel that he should have?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

is there any change Lucas DIDN'T make, but you feel that he should have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-04, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DarthMarino
It always bothered me that the rebel's Death Star plans were incorrect in A New Hope. The round part for the primary weapon is much lower than it should be. I was suprised when they didn't fix this in 1997. Then Attack of the Clones rolls around which takes place 20 years prior and the plans were perfect so I was certain they would just throw those versions in for the new release. Of course, they still remain incorrect.
You make an excellent point and I've wondered about this myself. I can't believe Luca$ missed this. It makes me wonder if it was intentional. Maybe the plans were not the "official" plans from AOTC, but a bothan/rebel copy (not a very good one). If Luca$ just missed this, then I'm amazed he can pick up and change a meaningless thing like the colour of a single pubic hair on Jabba's crotch.
Old 10-03-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or maybe in the blueprint, the deathstar was tilted a few degrees.. it IS a sphere after all

The flipped shots and effects bloopers (Emperor's slugs, glass reflections, R5 behind R2.. etc..) are what bug me the most. So easy to fix too...
Old 10-06-04, 08:41 PM

I also noticed the R5 goof for the first time when I recently watched A New Hope. Two other things bothered me a bit. One was when Ben sliced the arm off the bully in the cantina. I had thought it was now canon that light saber dissections completely cauterize the wound, and I thought I had heard that they were going to fix that shot to eliminate the blood around the svered end of the arm on the ground. They didn't. When the snow beast in Empire gets his arm whacked, the wound is completely cauterized.

Another thing that bothered me in A New Hope is something that has bothered me for years, and that is when the Death Star is closing in on the Rebel Base, some Death Star flunky announces that the Rebel Base will be within range in 30 minutes. While this is being said, you see a primitive computer animated graphic of the Rebel Base moon slowly coming into view from behind the planet, but the time ticker at the bottom right of the graphic shows 30, but is ticking down rapidly in seconds, not minutes. The speed of the rebel base moon graphic is also moving at a rate that it would be in range in 30 seconds, not minutes. A minor annoyance for me, but a seemingly easily fixable oversight as well. Overall, still two big thumbs up though.
Old 10-10-04, 02:17 PM

How about changing the Stormtroopers voices to Temura Morrison (assuming that they are still clones by this point)?
Old 10-11-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure they were still clones (since they all seem to have the whole weakminded, follow orders always kind of way) just clones of different people. In Episode II, Jango had to stay close by because they kept needing samples for cloning. Jango kind of died.

One was when Ben sliced the arm off the bully in the cantina. I had thought it was now canon that light saber dissections completely cauterize the wound, and I thought I had heard that they were going to fix that shot to eliminate the blood around the svered end of the arm on the ground.
Well, he was hardly gushing blood, it wasn't Kill Bill.
Old 10-11-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
There's a scene where Luke and Owen are buying the droids that has driven me crazy for years. After R5-D4 blows his motivator, we get a shot of R2-D2 turning his head and R5-D4 is standing right next to him in the background (although he's already been taken away at this point!). It's a repeat of an earlier shot of R2 turning his head. I wish Lucasfilm would digitally remove R5 in the background!
Man, I wish you had never mentioned this. I watched it last night & now I will always catch that in the future.

I had never looked for the stormtrooper's head-bump before but now that the picture is so nice, I caught it right away.

The one change I wish would be made (which will never happen) is the whole Luke-Leia brother-sister b.s. that was tacked on in Return of the Jedi. It makes the first two movies a little icky in certain parts.
Old 10-12-04, 09:32 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Loc Nar
I had thought it was now canon that light saber dissections completely cauterize the wound, and I thought I had heard that they were going to fix that shot to eliminate the blood around the svered end of the arm on the ground.
I wouldn't say it's canon. I mean there's like a misty cloud of blood when Darth Maul gets hacked in half in TPM.
Old 10-12-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they should have gone back and made LCD or some other kind of digital controls and avionics on everything. As it is, we have ships that can travel faster than light with controls that look ancient by our standards.
Old 10-12-04, 03:34 PM

I was rather surprised to see some black squares behind Tie Fighters in ANH. Special effects fixes should have been top priority.
Old 10-12-04, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by al_bundy
they should have gone back and made LCD or some other kind of digital controls and avionics on everything. As it is, we have ships that can travel faster than light with controls that look ancient by our standards.
it's kind of the appeal to the Star Wars universe. they have digital cool looking gauges in the first two movies in the OT they are scrapping together anything that flies to try and take out the Empire, they are rebels. it wouldn't seem as real if everything was clean and new
Old 10-13-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Neeb
During the 'thermal detonator' part of Jabba's Palace, Boba Fett's antenna is on the LEFT side of his head.

It is supposed to be on the RIGHT side.

Hoping this gets fixed by 2007.
Actually, the film is backwards there, not just the helmet scope. You'll notice his cape and gun are on the wrong side too.
Old 10-13-04, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
They should have digitally erased that guy to the left of the screen in the greenish shirt whose back you see walking on the Falcon, obviously a crewmember.
I love that scene! Hope it never gets fixed. I love pointing that guy out!

"Hey! Look at the stow-a-way!"
Old 10-16-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Wow -- I'm really surprised that only one person has mentioned "Jedi Rocks." Not only was the whole concept stupid to begin with, but the CG is quite possibly the single worst special effect in the whole series! (Yes, even worse than the addition of Jabba to ANH.)

How about updating the Rancor monster scenes? And possibly cleaning up some of the other stop-motion stuff (such as the AT-ATs and AT-STs and the chess game).

After watching the movies again, I must say that I don't hold quite the same disdain for ANH and ESB . . . now the changes made to Jedi are another story . . .