Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone complex...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-14-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the single disc or the three disc set?? What did you think overall?
I purchased the three disc. Anime soundtracks always interest me.
I also thought the dts mix on this was great. The Dolby Digital mix was just alright. I thought the overall story was the best since I've seen Cowboy Bebop perfect sessions. More character development than than alot of tv or movies present, and the animation was stellar compared to the majority shows collected on DVD.
Old 09-14-04, 04:13 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GitS:SAC SE Vol.1 is defective. Bandai/Manga will supposedly come up with an exchange program later.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC SE Vol. #1
The 5.1 DTS Japanese soundtrack right rear speaker audio is louder than the left rear speaker.

Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex LE OST
Tracks 8 and 9 have "run together" somehow and become an 8:31 long track 8, with everything afterward being one track number lower than they should be.
08 - velveteen contains track 09 - Lithium Flower as well
09 is Home stay
10 is Inner Univers
11 is first 2:14 of Fish - Silent Cruise
12 is rest of Fish - Silent Cruise

Source: http://www.animeondvd.com/glitch/G.php
Old 09-14-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the single disc version of volume one and it didn't have any problems that I've seen.

Storywise, I liked it. It definitely lets you see more of the other characters besides Major Kusanagi than the movie showed. I also like how they've really added personalities to the little armor robots, forget what they're called.

The animation is also really good espeically considering it's a TV show.
Old 09-14-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau
The GitS:SAC SE Vol.1 is defective. Bandai/Manga will supposedly come up with an exchange program later.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC SE Vol. #1
The 5.1 DTS Japanese soundtrack right rear speaker audio is louder than the left rear speaker.

Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex LE OST
Tracks 8 and 9 have "run together" somehow and become an 8:31 long track 8, with everything afterward being one track number lower than they should be.
08 - velveteen contains track 09 - Lithium Flower as well
09 is Home stay
10 is Inner Univers
11 is first 2:14 of Fish - Silent Cruise
12 is rest of Fish - Silent Cruise

Source: http://www.animeondvd.com/glitch/G.php

I haven't heard about this....the link did not list any corrective info, or hoe to get in touch with bandai/manga.
Old 09-14-04, 09:36 PM

I bought the single disc version, thought it was pretty boring, if it doesn't grab me by volume 2 then i'm dropping it. After awhile I just couldn't get over the fact that the Major dressed like a slut, it was so out of place and just wasn't explained why it was allowed.
Old 09-14-04, 10:40 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
I haven't heard about this....the link did not list any corrective info, or hoe to get in touch with bandai/manga.
The studio hasn't announced a solution or exchange program yet.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5273
According to Anime on DVD, Bandai Entertainment has stated that they are investigating an issue with the DTS audio for the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Special Edition. Regarding an issue with low or non-existent volume coming from the left-rear speaker, Bandai has stated, "We are sorry to hear that you are encountering problems with the DVD. We are aware of the glitch in the DTS and trying to figure out what is causing it so we can officially declare it as an error. We will notify you with a solution once we have fully comprehended the situation. We thank you for your patience and cooperation."

Meanwhile, ANN reader Andrew Fors has informed us about a problem with the CD soundtrack that was included in the Special Edition release. Other reports confirm that the tracks cuts on the soundtrack are improperly placed. While the songs are in the correct order, the 8th track includes both the 8th song (Velveteen) and the 9th song (Lithium Flower), while the 11th track contains the first 2:14 of Fish - Silent Cruise and the 12th track contains the rest of Fish - Silent Cruise. Bandai Entertainment has declined to officially comment on this issue.
Old 09-14-04, 10:43 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bluebomber
I just couldn't get over the fact that the Major dressed like a slut
I can't take it too, other than the possibility that it's some form of "fan service".
Old 09-14-04, 11:01 PM

Bought the single disc and thought it was ok but nothing I want to spend more money on.
The picture quality looks great on a my big screen.
Old 09-14-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, I have this but have not watched it yet. It does not sound promising. Too bad.
Old 09-15-04, 08:05 AM

Contact info:

[email protected] - For Bandai, who authored the discs

http://www.manga.com/contact.php - for Manga Ent. who distributed the discs.

As stated earlier, nothing has been announced yet as far as a replacement program goes, so you aren't likely to get anything helpful back from these other than 'we're looking into it'.

As far as how the major dresses, as odd as it is, it is in line with the designs used in the manga. Not so much fan service as it is simply the way Shirow does his art/characters/costumes, and the TV series keeping with it. (doesn't make it any less wierd I guess . . )

I for one really enjoy this series and thought it got more interesting as it went along with a lot coming together at the end of the first season based on what happens in the main story arc or 'complex' episodes (vs the 'stand alone' episodes).
Old 09-15-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Bought the LE and regretted it. The DTS is nice but not a huge difference over the DD 5.1. I couldn't care less about the soundtrack CD. Forcing you to pay for two separate DVDs with the same episodes on them is a straight-up rip-off. The slipcover packaging is also pretty flimsy and ugly.

The picture on both DVDs has massive amounts of edge enhancement, about as bad as Pioneer's edition of Akira.

Very disappointed in the DVD quality overall. If I buy future volumes, it will not be the Limited Editions.
Old 09-20-04, 02:39 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bandai has just announced a replacement program for the OST CD that came in the GITS:SAC V.1 SE. Details of the program can be found here.
Old 09-20-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau
Bandai has just announced a replacement program for the OST CD that came in the GITS:SAC V.1 SE. Details of the program can be found here.

Thank you eau
Old 09-20-04, 03:44 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks like Bandai has screwed up GITS:SAC Vol. 2 too.

Apparently, the DD and DTS discs are inadvertently swapped in the labeling. The contents seem to be ok.

So, the regular edition gets the DTS content and the SE gets the DD and DTS content swapped.

SE glitch here and regular glitch here.
Old 09-20-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What else are they going to do wrong? Seems like alot of stupid mistakes...
Old 09-20-04, 06:56 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
Bandai rules... I wish Warner screwed DD tracks like that
Old 09-20-04, 07:56 PM

So...for those who can't play DTS and don't want to spend $50 on the SE, you have to wait until Bandai fixes the problem? And if the first release is any indication, it's gonna be a while.
Old 10-01-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by eau
It looks like Bandai has screwed up GITS:SAC Vol. 2 too.

Apparently, the DD and DTS discs are inadvertently swapped in the labeling. The contents seem to be ok.

So, the regular edition gets the DTS content and the SE gets the DD and DTS content swapped.
I purchased the regular edition Vol. 2 last night at Best Buy, and it only has Dolby Digital, no DTS. Looks like not every copy got swapped.
Old 10-01-04, 12:43 PM

its only the intial batch. those that got caught out buy from early-shipping online companies or shops putting things on shelves early it seems... cos apparently the mistake was noticed before release date and most buyers sent their boxes of the discs back to bandai... so the second batch will have made it out by now... they dont take long to press...
Old 10-01-04, 12:45 PM

Apparently the corrected copies are already with some vendors - Best Buy being one of them.

I just bought a regular of No.2 from Newbury Comics for $14.99. That's a great store price, and I realised that if I did get the DTS I'd rather have it than interviews I'll never watch.

I also bought the "Special" Edition of No1, and found it laughable. I was never happy with the two discs/ two soundtracks idea and the whole set has an aura of total rip-off about it, before you even mention the defective DTS and CD!
Old 10-01-04, 03:45 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh Z
I purchased the regular edition Vol. 2 last night at Best Buy, and it only has Dolby Digital, no DTS. Looks like not every copy got swapped.
It's not certain but the corrected batch seems to have the UPC on the top sticker marked with a marker.
Old 10-01-04, 04:51 PM

Just to confirm, the copies of the standard edition at Newbury Comics are indeed the mislabelled DTS discs. If you fancy DTS cheap, its for you. However, if you need to product as listed on the box, avoid them!
Old 10-01-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All these problems....Iam just going to wait till they work out the kinks. Their loss
Old 10-05-04, 02:11 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Replacement available for GITS:SAC V.2

Replacement for the regular edition and SE of Volume 2 is now available through an exchange program.

http://www.bandai-ent.com/news/news.cfm?id=86

Btw, no replacement is available yet for the Volume 1 DTS disc.
Old 10-05-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

^I find it humorous that Bandai will reimburse the cost of postage, but only if you include the postage receipt. For most people, this means going to the post office getting exact postage with receipt before sealing the package for shipment. This seems unduly burdensome since Bandai could either just look at the postage on the package or set a fixed amount.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.