Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Who Collects DVD's Just Because Of DTS Track?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Who Collects DVD's Just Because Of DTS Track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I'll wait for or search the globe for a DTS track on movies I really want to buy.
A few movies I was on the fence about, a DTS track swayed my opinion.
Old 09-02-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I collect DVD just because of the movie, or the packaging. Sometimes I double dip for the DTS or special features, but only if the DTS is a significant improvement over the DD 5.1 tracks.
Old 09-02-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually buy based on the quality of the movie itself but I do pay attention to what type of audio tracks it has. I will sometimes buy a title only for the DTS track if it is sufficiently cheap, like Titan AE which I bought for $5.xx
Old 09-03-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am not convinced there is much difference in most newer DTS and DD tracks, but - as Green Jello enlightened us in another thread - most of the early DTS releases were full bit rate (1509 Kbps) instead of the current half-rate (754 Kbps). Some of them - Dances With Wolves, Twister, among others - are still rated among the best DVD tracks ever (receiving 5+ ratings at Widescreenreview.com).

This is discussed in detail in another thread -

DTS thread

here is a list I posted
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the full-bitrate DTS tracks rated 5 and 5+ by widescreenreview.com:

5:
12 Monkeys
Amistad
Antz
Apollo 13
Dante's Peak
Dune (Miniseries - Director's Cut)
The Jackal
Mercury Rising
Mouse Hunt
The Peacemaker
The River Wild
Small Soldiers
Virus

5+:
Dances with Wolves
Daylight
Super Speedway Mach II SE
Twister
Waterworld

I was rather surprised to see Galaxy Quest and Thin Red Line rated only 4.5 stars, I have heard people rave about those tracks.
Old 09-03-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kar10
There are some that I haven't seen and bestbuy is currently selling 3 for $20 in packages of 3.

The deal is so good that I was very close to buying them earlier.

The Siege (dts)
The Thin Red Line (dts)
Courage Under Fire (dts)
I don't see The Siege or Courage Under Fire on the sale page at the website - are these part of the sale at your local store? I tried adding them to the cart but they didn't get discounted.
Old 09-03-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They sell them in a united bundle in packages of 3.

There are many others being sold like that at B/M.
Old 09-03-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the 3-pack on sale this week, or is that the regular price? I have never noticed them, maybe my local store doesn't stock them . OTOH, I am usually browsing the $5.99 rack.
Old 09-03-04, 08:46 AM
Banned

I understand people's obsession with getting DTS disks but to a degree. But I'm sorry, but that's really, really dumb to by a dvd just because it has DTS especially if its a movie you don't like. There's no logic in it at all. And BTW DTS doesn't always "rock!". There are plenty of movies were the the DD5.1 track is FAR SUPERIOR to any dts track. Matrix Rel comes to mind. I can understand where you're coming from, trust me I do, but maybe you should get your dvd buying priorities in check.
Old 09-03-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nova
I understand people's obsession with getting DTS disks but to a degree. But I'm sorry, but that's really, really dumb to by a dvd just because it has DTS especially if its a movie you don't like. There's no logic in it at all.
Fortunately, keeping that thought it my head has prevented me from buying Dudley Do-right on several occasions from the $5.50 dump bin at Walmart.
Old 09-03-04, 09:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by NCYankee
Fortunately, keeping that thought it my head has prevented me from buying Dudley Do-right on several occasions from the $5.50 dump bin at Walmart.
God Bless you!
Old 09-03-04, 10:41 AM

Hmmm wasn't Waterworld a DTS 5.0 track? Seems strange to give it such a high rating if there is no LFE track.
I often rebuy DVDs for DTS and or Anamorphic Widescreen. DTS is not always better or distingushable from Dolby Digital, but when its done correctly its superior like in Jurassic Park DTS (fixed version).
I'm also a sucker for Superbit because of the DTS, Anamorphic Widescreen standards, plus I like the Silver Slipcase that makes them really stand out on my dvd shelves.
Buying DTS track dvds also made me learn to buy stuff overseas, Region 3 anybody? Most of the time the DVDs are cheaper, even with international shipping and a lot of movies come with DTS tracks.
Old 09-03-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some references find show DD 5.0 on one version and DTS 5.1 on the other, though widescreen review shows DTS 5.0. Not being a subscriber, I can't access the detailed review just the summary.

I would assume there is bass in the soundtrack just not a dedicated bass track - if the reviewer was using a system with good bass management, then the sound should still be almost indistinguishable from a 5.1 track.

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-03-04 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 11:38 AM
Banned

I have the Waterworld DTS release. It is a 1509 bps DTS track that is 5.0. Although it is missing the LFE channel, there is still plenty off good bass mixed into the left and right main channels. Although a terrible film. the soundtrack is really quite well done. It was nominated for the Oscar for Best Sound in 1996, but it lost out to Apollo 13 (which incidentally is another great full bit rate DTS disc.)
Old 09-03-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

5+:
Dances with Wolves
Daylight
Super Speedway Mach II SE
Twister
Waterworld

They don't consider Saving Private Ryan DTS a 5+ ???? It blows all those away, IMO.
Old 09-03-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mountain Biker
They don't consider Saving Private Ryan DTS a 5+ ???? It blows all those away, IMO.
SPR is not a full-bitrate DTS track - but they give 5+ to both the DD and DTS tracks.
Old 09-03-04, 03:50 PM
Banned

a bad movie is still a bad movie...a DTS track does not improve this
Old 09-03-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Green Jello
I have the Waterworld DTS release. It is a 1509 bps DTS track that is 5.0. Although it is missing the LFE channel, there is still plenty off good bass mixed into the left and right main channels. Although a terrible film. the soundtrack is really quite well done. It was nominated for the Oscar for Best Sound in 1996, but it lost out to Apollo 13 (which incidentally is another great full bit rate DTS disc.)

Last I checked Waterworld dts had the only 5.1 remix, where as the dolby digital version was 5.0
Old 09-03-04, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
Last I checked Waterworld dts had the only 5.1 remix, where as the dolby digital version was 5.0
That would make sense. I seem to remember in the early days of DVD and DTS, I heard a DTS rep say that there would NEVER be anything less than full 5.1 DTS (unlike Dolby). Then again, that could be all the drinking talking.
Old 09-04-04, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Green Jello,

You might have missed the email I sent you. I was wondering if you could tell me why my DVD-rom is reading a bitrate of 3840 for "Interview with a Vampire" DTS (it reads accurately on my other full-rate DVDs - Twister, Dune, and the Lethal Weapon DCs). That is exactly 2.5 times the full bitrate of 1536.

I can now verify that The Thin Red Line DTS is full bitrate - I picked it up in the 3-pack for $20 with Courage Under Fire and The Siege (both DTS).

Also - how is it that Warner was able to fit a full-rate DTS track, DD 5.1 track, and a slew of extras on the "Interview with the Vampire" SE - but when Universal put out a DTS disc, they had to strip off all the extras? I guess Universal was the pioneer in the field of "double-dipping".
Old 09-04-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can now verify that The Thin Red Line DTS is full bitrate - I picked it up in the 3-pack for $20 with Courage Under Fire and The Siege (both DTS).

I'm glad you found them and now I feel I should get them as well

Can you post your opinion on the quality of DTS sound of the films.
Old 09-04-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Green Jello
That would make sense. I seem to remember in the early days of DVD and DTS, I heard a DTS rep say that there would NEVER be anything less than full 5.1 DTS (unlike Dolby). Then again, that could be all the drinking talking.

The only 5.0 dts mix that I know of is Patch Adams ultimate edition
Old 09-04-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kar10
I'm glad you found them and now I feel I should get them as well

Can you post your opinion on the quality of DTS sound of the films.
When I get a chance to watch them, I will be able to comment on the quality of the sound itself but not the surround mix since I don't have a surround setup at the moment, just two pretty good floorstanders and a 115 watt Denon amp. (I am moving in a few months so have put off getting more speakers until then).
Old 09-05-04, 05:12 AM

I think I remember seeing Donnie Brasco as a DTS 5.0 mix as well. Can anyone who has this dvd confirm?
Old 09-05-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Donnie Brasco does not have DTS, but it is DD 5.0.