Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hero success=Raise the Red Lantern dvd release?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-29-04, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone believe the box office success of Hero will allow Raise the Red Lantern to be released on DVD in R1? Both movies are directed by Yimou Zhang.
Old 08-29-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We can only hope...

We'll have to see what kind of legs Hero has. I got so many complaints from disappointed filmgoers the other day, ranging from "it was boring" to "they ain't speaking American".
Old 08-29-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely need this one on DVD ...ranks with Days of Heaven, Bound For Glory and a few others as one of the most gorgeously photographed movies of all time.
Old 08-29-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's to hoping. Lantern was easily one of the best films I've EVER seen. This really needs a proper R1 release. I'd love to see ANY interviews or commetary from Gong Li regarding this role.
Old 08-29-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
I think that Hero's success could only help in getting a Raise the Red Lantern release.
Old 08-29-04, 05:43 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed, I've been waiting for Raise the Red Lantern for years!
Old 08-29-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
We can only hope...

We'll have to see what kind of legs Hero has. I got so many complaints from disappointed filmgoers the other day, ranging from "it was boring" to "they ain't speaking American".
Did somebody actually say "they ain't speaking American"?
Old 08-29-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it possible that Raise the Red Lantern is in some sort of rights limbo? It was originally an Orion release, then somebody (not sure who) released it on VHS, then MGM acquired the Orion library and re-released it, but now MGM seems to be losing a lot of their Orion titles so maybe it's waiting for a new distributor or something. Anyway the current Hong Kong DVD is abysmal so this definitely needs a re-release.
Old 08-29-04, 06:24 PM

Sure, "Hero" made some nice coin for Miramax this weekend...but can you imagine how it would have done if they'd brought it out when it was nominated for a best Foreign Film Oscar...in 2002?

Those dopes at Miramax have ruined so many Asian film releases here in North America, I was kind of hoping Hero would tank so they'd stop buying them up...
Old 08-29-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait... didn't Tarantino direct Hero? That's what the poster says?

Old 08-29-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by LorenzoL
I can't make this stuff up.

It gets worse; today, some dude threatened to kill my manager because she refused to give him free passes (after his money had already been refunded) because we had "tricked" him into seeing a subbed movie.
Old 08-30-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 144 Posts
I would also like to bang the Gong in order to alert some company to release RAISE THE RED LANTERN on DVD.
Old 08-30-04, 03:42 AM

they ain't speaking American"
Did he want it to be 1.33:1 too?
Old 08-30-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's fantastic/horrifying that HERO was #1 at the box office. Fantastic because it's about time Americans got to see Zhang Yimou's visual masterpiece.

However, I know that for every awe-struck viewer there are just as many ready to blindly fame the film for reasons stated above. Many of the people that went to see it last weekend were also the first ones in line for Cradle 2 the Grave.
Old 08-30-04, 09:17 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

The matinee audience I watched Hero with adored the film, so please don't generalize from the idiot exceptions. Great movie! (And I'll add another vote for a R1 release of RTRL - A few extras would be nice, too.)
Old 08-30-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jdpatri
I think it's fantastic/horrifying that HERO was #1 at the box office. Fantastic because it's about time Americans got to see Zhang Yimou's visual masterpiece.

However, I know that for every awe-struck viewer there are just as many ready to blindly fame the film for reasons stated above. Many of the people that went to see it last weekend were also the first ones in line for Cradle 2 the Grave.
I'll also bet that a number of those people that bought tickets just walked out after seeing it was subbed.

I remember years back, when I went to see Brotherhood of the Wolf, over half the people left after they found out it was in French.
Old 08-30-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd love quality releases of all of Zhang's great period films. .The version of RTRL that I reviewed for DVDTalk a few years ago was an abomination.
Old 08-30-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts
Originally posted by LorenzoL
Off on a tangent, but back when I was doing merchandising for a convenience store company: a Hispanic couple entered the store chatting briskly in Spanish. When they approached the register the gentleman spoke in slightly accented but otherwise perfect English. After they left the 450 lb. manager (I kid you not, this guy actually weighed 450 lbs.) starts into a diatribe about "That's what's wrong with this country . . . If you are going to come to America then speak American! If you want to speak Mexican, go back to Mexico!" I just shook my head and walked away (this was the same guy who called the cops shortly after 9/11 because a couple of guys of Arabic descent pulled up in a U-Haul and left it parked in the lot while they went next door to grab a burger at Mickey-D's).
Old 08-30-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I can't make this stuff up.

It gets worse; today, some dude threatened to kill my manager because she refused to give him free passes (after his money had already been refunded) because we had "tricked" him into seeing a subbed movie.
Wow, what's this world coming to?
Old 08-30-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does anyone know if Hero will get a R1 release soon?
Old 08-30-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by fryinpan1
Dude, it opened in theaters three days ago! It's going to be a few months.
Old 08-30-04, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by fryinpan1
You're asking this three days after its American theatrical release? Give it a little time, man.

edit: beat to the punch!
Old 08-30-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts
R0 discs of the film have been available for about a year and a half. Even if your not region free, there's no need to wait for a R1 disc, my friend.
Old 08-30-04, 11:39 PM

I was shocked at how packed this movie was on Saturday when I went and saw it. Sure, I've had the DVD for ages, but I wanted to support more Asian cinema on the big screen. Sue me.

I'll back up more of the idiot claims as well. Five minutes into the movie a group of people got up and left loudly proclaiming they weren't watching this ching chang chung bullshit. I couldn't believe they had actually come to see the movie when the entire trailer never shows one person who isn't Chinese. Luckily the manager (whom I love to death. She is stupidly cool) told them to go bugger off when they asked for their money back. Apparently they had been giving out a lot of refunds to idiots all weekend and got tired of it.
Old 08-31-04, 02:22 AM

Another vote for a proper release of Raise the Red Lantarn. One of my favotites of all time!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.