Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Imax Space Station 3D

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imax Space Station 3D

Hey I remember hearing that this was coming out this fall with 3d and normal version. With glasses and all. Released by Imax and Warner. Does anyone know what going on?

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/s/spacestation.php
Old 08-22-04, 03:06 PM

It looks like IMAX is no longer releasing their 3D films in the Field sequential/shutter glasses format. I don't know this for a fact but it seems to be the case.

There are 4 movies from IMAX that are available on DVD in Field Sequential 3D. They are great fun to watch and the 3D effect is quite impressive. However, the last few IMAX movies that were made in 3D were released only in non-3D flat 2D versions on DVD. Now they are releasing "Santa vs The Snowman 3D" later this year and it's listed as including 3D glasses. This is actually a bad sign because A DVD made for field sequential viewing would not include glasses as they are useless without the proper Field Sequential encoder box connected. That means the DVD probably uses the red/blue anaglyph 3D system which doesn't require any encoding. Even at it's best, 3D anaglyph on video is nowhere near the quality of Field Sequential Shutter glasses 3D presentations on DVD.

The FS system is by far the best way to view 3D on video. It does require buying the very cheap (well under $100) rig that connects simply to the DVD player. It is actually the same 3D viewing system that they use in IMAX theaters but on a smaller scale. (The cheap home rig requires the included glasses to be connected by a thin cable to the very small encoder box, or there is a slightly more expensive version that is wireless). I'm very disappointed to see that IMAX seems to have abandoned the FS system for releasing their 3D fims on DVD.
Old 08-22-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMAX never released a field sequential 3-D DVD. The four films from N-Wave on the DVDs you refer to were not produced by IMAX, though they did play in the same theatres. They were all CGI product that played in some IMAX certified theatres and many other large format cinemas that are not IMAX certified.

The planned SPACE STATION and upcoming SANTA VS THE SNOWMAN DVDs will be red/blue anaglyph conversions. These are already transferred. The R2 Japan GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS is in a similar format (ColorCode) which uses yellowish and blue glasses. Check out www.anachrome.com for more info on SPACE STATION.

In any case, its true that field sequnential produces the best results at home. A shame more studios won't release stuff this way now that the glasses and systems can be purchased for as little as $29! The anaglyph conversions are pretty insulting to the original 3-D versions.
Old 08-22-04, 08:32 PM

Well the DVD titles in Field sequential that I am referring to all clearly say "Originally presented in IMAX theaters" in the cover art. I suppose that doesn't really imply anything about who actually produced the DVD's. I assumed IMAX had something to do with these films ending up on DVD in Field Sequential 3D. My mistake.

Regardless of that, someone made the decision to release them in Field Sequential and so someone decided not to continue with more IMAX titles in Field Sequential and that's a very sad decision. I'm guessing the almighty dollar has spoken and the FS titles probably don't sell well. The FS rig probably scares a lot of people off. It's so very simple to set up and use but I can imagine many folks just don't want to be bothered.

To further complicate matters, the Field sequential rig will only work on a standard interlace type TV screen. So the viewing system is doomed to be outdated as we head into more non interlace technology. ( I think I saw an adapter being advertised for converting FS so that it will work with non interlace...but I can only guess how it works. And adding more "rig" to the "rig" isn't going to make FS more appealing)

Final note, there are actually 5 titles out in Field Sequential DVD with the "Originally presented in IMAX theaters" heading in the cover art. One of them, "Ultimate G's" is not CGI at all but is a short story with live actors about flying.

The other 4 are:

Haunted Castle
SOS Planet
Alien Adventure
Encounter in the Third Dimension
Old 08-23-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a new one also, the 80s film TRANSITIONS. It isn't in general distribution yet.

Since IMAX has never yet released a field sequnetial 3-D DVD, and the others were from another company who hasn't yet released any more large format films on DVD in 2-D or 3-D, I don't see any reason that you feel the format has been abandoned by them. I'm sure you'll see more eventually after the theatrical runs are exausted.

The format hasn't yet been embraced by IMAX for DVD or the major studios at all.

I too wish the official IMAX films (NASCAR especially) would be made available in FS 3-D format. The flat and anaglyph versions don't do the originals justice at all.

I can't really get too excited by most of the large format 3-D films anyway, they aren't that great for the most part. What I really want is real 3-D feature films from the 1950s and 80s boom periods on official DVD.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 08-23-04 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 07:11 PM

Well I think there have been sevreal releases of 3D IMAX films in non-3D since the ones that came out in FS as previously mentioned. And now with the "Santa 3D" coming out in anaglyph....it sure looks to me like no one has any plans to pursue FS DVD format for IMX DVD's.

I agree , I'd really like to see NASCAR 3D on DVD in FS and the other title I'd like to see is "Cyberworld" which was very impressive. It's true though that most IMAX 3D films can't seem to pass a certain level of being OK but not spectacular.

I'd Love to see The Creature from the Black Lagoon and several other 3D movies from the past offered on DVD in FS. The entire Creature "trilogy" is about to come out in that legacy series which is good news even tho it will be flat.

I'm also disappointed that one company is offering apparently old Public Domain movies like the Flash Gordon serials in FS using some kind of 3D simulation process. I tried a couple of these and they are useless. The 3D is virtually nonexistant except for a few scenes where you can sort of see it...and in some scenes the process has worked backwards pushing the perspective the wrong way! Worse than having them in 2D, they seriously hurt the rep of FS technology. People who try these films without knowing anything else about FS, will assume that the system is terrible.