Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popular Season 2 Coming...

Popular - Early 2005 for 2nd (and final) Season on DVD
Posted by David Lambert
8/22/2004

During a conversation we had with Buena Vista Home Entertainment this past Friday, they revealed a few things that were coming up on the schedule for early 2005. Among those items was mentioned "more Popular".

Two months ago we passed along this word from Entertainment Weekly magazine that the 2nd and final season of the series was in-the-works, but back then we didn't have a timeframe to give you.

We still don't have a street date, but barring obstacles you can expect to get your hands on this during the first three months of the new year.

For right now, BV hopes that you worry less about the second season and instead concentrate on grabbing the first season DVD set when it's released on Sept. 21st. I've never caught the show myself, but I've heard so many good things about it that I'm really looking forward to this set. Stay tuned, in in the weeks to come we'll update you on the 2nd Season's DVD progress.
Thats awesome, that the entire series is now promised!
Old 08-22-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The only bummer is the unresolved S2 cliffhanger. In many ways, it makes the series almost not worth owning. I wish that in situations like these, either as a bonus feature or whatever, the DVD would include some kind of resolution.
Old 08-22-04, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
The only bummer is the unresolved S2 cliffhanger. In many ways, it makes the series almost not worth owning. I wish that in situations like these, either as a bonus feature or whatever, the DVD would include some kind of resolution.
Maybe it will...maybe they will stay in the commentaries or special features what would of happened in the series finale.
Old 08-23-04, 01:01 AM

In entertainment weekly like in early June, the co-creator ryan murphy said that he and most of the cast would be interested in a reunion is warner brothers and buena vista would be interested.... but it that never happens hopefully their will be a commentary on the last episode that tells what would of happend (like dark angel)
Old 08-23-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love season one and will definitely purchase it. In my opinion, the writers, etc. screwed up season two by making it way too serious.
Old 08-23-04, 08:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Sweet...I liked this show.
Old 08-23-04, 11:24 AM

I love season one and will definitely purchase it. In my opinion, the writers, etc. screwed up season two by making it way too serious.
This was The WB's fault... From what I heard they told Ryan Murphy (the co-creator) "will give you a second season, but you have to make it more like dawson's creek"
Old 08-23-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by critterdvd
This was The WB's fault... From what I heard they told Ryan Murphy (the co-creator) "will give you a second season, but you have to make it more like dawson's creek"
Another stupid WB decision If it ain't broken....don't fix it.
Old 08-23-04, 06:38 PM

I'm really suprised they didn't wait to see how season 1 sold.

Ryan Murphy has explained in interviews how season 3 would have went, I think I may have posted that in another Popular thread here but if any of you want to see that information, let me know... I actually think the show ended perfectly (the final moment) because, if taken as the last episode you're made to draw a conclusion about what happened to Brooke, the "perfect teen"... the result of these characters messing with eachother for 2 years.

The WB did not get Popular at all. What should have been a campy guilty pleasure for mature teens/adults was ALWAYS advertised as something for 11 year old girls. For example, a great second season episode that had Nicole on a rampage to regain her popularity crown had a boring sub-plot about Brooke not being allowed to date a college-aged guy, and that week the WB ran ads using that plotline! If I wasn't already a fan and saw that ad I would never have tuned in. And they would do that every week. They constantly promoted boring characters like Brooke and Sam and ignored the likes of Mary Cherry and Nicole (which would be the same as advertising Will & Grace and ignoring Karen and Jack). They also forced changes for the 2nd season, like one of the girls being pregnant had to go even though it was already set up, and made a show full of rediculous characters deal with serious plots which didn't work... but I still say season 2 had some of the funniest moments and best episodes for the whole series, it was just that the bad moments were really bad.

Here's part of a Leslie Grossman (Mary Cherry) interview where she talks about some problems with The WB:

"You know, the networks really disliked our finale last year (season 1). They hated it. They were like, this is the most bizarre non-linear thing we’ve ever seen. They never saw it for what it was, which was a balls out comedy. For some reason they kept wanting to bring it back to Dawson’s Creek. It’s like a little kid that tears the heads off their doll. They didn’t market it properly.

And let me tell you something. I was ignored by them. I can’t even tell you. They had absolutely no interest in promoting me in any way. Everyone would get invited to go on these trips to meet the affiliates. I was invited once to go to…Oklahoma. I was like, “I’m going to pass, but thanks.” Every little thing that was mentioned about Leslie or Carly, would be exploited on the WB website. The WB quotes Zap2It.com all the time. They are constantly referring to articles. They put me as best comedian last year and they never mentioned it. They ignored me."
Old 08-23-04, 07:12 PM

One more thing: I watched Ryan Murphy's Nip/Tuck a couple of weeks ago because Leslie Bibb was on, and I noticed some similarities between Popular in the plotline actress Famke Janssen is in... the tension between the characters and the rediculous, hateful, over-the-top dialouge was pure Popular, but a sequence seemed to be lifted also... When Famke's son on the show says he doesn't eat meat and his mother asked since when... right out of the 3rd episode of Popular ("Under Siege")where Sam is made to eat at Brookes by their parents and the same thing happens. In Nip/Tuck the kid then goes into Matt's room and seems resentfull of all the things Matt has, particually a father... this was also the following scene in the Popular episode, where Sam goes into Brookes room, gives her a hard time about all she has, and asks her about her mother. Popular, though, concluded with some bitch-slaps, while Nip/Tuck had an unwanted kiss. Yes, I'm completely nuts but I thought I'd mention it for anyone who likes both shows.