Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

VHS to DVD...help choosing software/hardware

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 02:48 PM
daz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VHS to DVD...help choosing software/hardware

First let me say i'm a noob to the nth degree, so take that into consideration when describing things.
Heres the deal. Where i work i've been asked to help find some good hardware and software for taking VHS to DVD, with the prime concern being compatability with most players. At the moment we have a rather expensive panasonic standalone that has been used by sending VHS video to the panasonic's iinternal HDD, then burning it to DVD. problem is, the final product plays only on very few players.

So we are now considering using a PC system to do this. They want to know just what to get, and none of us here really know squat about this stuff. So i need recommendations on software, burner, and capture card, plus any other thoght on how to make DVD's that will play in most players. Thanks
Old 08-16-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind of DVD media are you using? Which DVD players?

Most newer DVD players will play just about anything, but the older players can be finnicky.

Try searching for your media here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

And for your DVD players here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

You might not need expensive hardware upgrades, after all.
Old 08-16-04, 03:30 PM
daz

I'll check out those links, thanks. But as to your questions, the players they won't work in are both new units. One is a Sony DVP-575, the other a Toshiba. (model unknown offhand) As for the media, i don't know. I was asked to research this for them, but i had nothing to do with the burning so i'm not sure what media. But knowing this place they probably went cheap !
Old 08-16-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by daz
I'll check out those links, thanks. But as to your questions, the players they won't work in are both new units. One is a Sony DVP-575, the other a Toshiba. (model unknown offhand) As for the media, i don't know. I was asked to research this for them, but i had nothing to do with the burning so i'm not sure what media. But knowing this place they probably went cheap !
It's said that DVD-R media is a bit more player-compatible than DVD+R, so that should be your first step. Definitely find out what brand/type of DVDs they are using. It can make a huge difference. The cheaper ones are usually the least compatible. But keep in mind, burned DVDs are not going to be 100% compatible with all DVD players. It's just not going to happen.
Old 08-16-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
According to trade journals I subscribe to: go with high-end, "brand name" DVD-R for the most compatble results. Stay away from cheap media.