Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where's the ultimate Serial killer-Mass Murderer Box Set?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget A&E (not that they've put out anything worthwhile for collectors) and The History Channel (ditto) - someone like Michael Moore should put together what I like to call "The Ultimate Serial Killer-Mass Murderer" Box Set. It doesn't necessarily have to be a theatrical release (although that would be nice), as I'll be happy with a Direct-To-DVD release.

There are tons of actual archival footage of these sons-of-bitches, through newsreels and even their trials. Allow interpretation, dramazations, and clips from movies featured on a particular killer to weave its way through the narrative.

I understand that the trial of Ted Bundy was recorded? How come its never seen the light of day? The man, although sick and demented, was articulate and animated throughout the proceedings, and it is worthy to see some of it. What about Charles Manson? Was his trial recorded? If not, gather whatever clips exist and throw it in.

There are so many interesting cases that have never made it to the Silver Screen, including that sicko Mark Barton, who murdered his first wife, second wife, and two children with a hammer, then went on a murder rampage at his workplace; I don't recall a movie about Charles Whitman, who stabbed to death his mother and wife, then went and climbed the Texas Tower and went on a 90+ minute shooting spree; What about Albert Fish, who killed and ate children in the 1920's? What about Jeffrey Dahmer, what about John Wayne Gacy?

Then there are those who were featured in movies, but badly. Ronald DeFeo, the infamous Amityville murderer who killed his mother, father, two brothers and two sisters in 1974. His story is overshadowed by the 1975-76 "hauntings" of Amityville featured in The Amityville Horror. Get him and all the great news archives from that time in there; Ed Gein, the ghoul from Wisconsin who dug up the dead to keep him company after his poor old mother died (the inspiration for the movie Psycho; Ted Bundy; David Berkowitz (Son of Sam). Charles Manson.

The ultimate collection of real-life horrors. What is the delay in getting a collection like this? Copyright issues?
Old 08-12-04, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definetly would purchase such a set in a heartbeat, even be it $1000. I've managed to obtain 2 dvd's of documentaries, though nothing you could call definitive, the details don't go that far.
They used to have a couple of shows based on serial killers too, though I've searched everywhere through the web only to find nothing has been released on dvd.
I'm fascinated by psychologic sciences, and this is right up my street in interest.
Old 08-12-04, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can always buy that Green River Killer Huge DVD set, at over $2000
Old 08-12-04, 09:55 AM
Banned

After this release, someone needs to do a box set of "The Best of Nazi Concentration Camp Massacres".

Jesus Christ people! What's wrong with you all? I wouldn't give a dime for a box set of mass murderer docementaries.
Old 08-12-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread makes Baby Jesus cry.
Old 08-12-04, 10:44 AM
Banned

Well that's you Mike. I would most definitely put down money for this. All I have is the A&E Serial Killers disc, which is ok, but if they came out with a set like the the original post described, I would buy it in a heartbeat!
Old 08-12-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buttmunker, just a correction. Jeffrey Dahmer was portrayed in a movie. The film Dahmer.

I would be very interested in a set like this. Especially real trial footage. I can't get enough of it.
Old 08-12-04, 11:49 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Some people are interested in crime....no different form people watching someone get their throat cut in a horror movie. The thign that make documentarys good are they really happened...they are real good if your trying to get into that field of being a detective etc...
Old 08-12-04, 12:48 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

i would buy this set in a heartbeat, and would buy the gary ridgway(Green river killer) set, if they were dvd's and not dvd-rom's.

I collect murderablia, some take offense to it, but I take offense to people who collect sports cards.

I use to have an actual shelf from Dahmer's fridge, but sold it along with a real shrunken head to a buddy of mine a few years ago.

If anyone from NY has heard of the serial killer Kendall Francois, my same friend has the tub, from his house where he killed his victims, we use it to store our beer during parties.
Old 08-12-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
There are several sets available. A couple come to mind -
MURDERS IN HOLLYWOOD and SERIAL KILLERS: PROBING THE CRIMINAL MIND

both available at DDD.
Old 08-12-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
i would buy this set in a heartbeat, and would buy the gary ridgway(Green river killer) set, if they were dvd's and not dvd-rom's.

I collect murderablia, some take offense to it, but I take offense to people who collect sports cards.

I use to have an actual shelf from Dahmer's fridge, but sold it along with a real shrunken head to a buddy of mine a few years ago.

If anyone from NY has heard of the serial killer Kendall Francois, my same friend has the tub, from his house where he killed his victims, we use it to store our beer during parties.

*puts Corky Roxbury on my "he scares me shitless list"*
Old 10-19-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it seems this came out not too long ago. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance

"The Serial Killers" - Editorial Reviews

Product Description:
The Serial Killers is a fascinating and shocking documentary of the most notorious murderers of our time. Infamous serial killers such as Kenneth Bianchi, Ted Bundy and Henry Lee Lucas give chilling first-hand accounts of their brutal crimes. The program also examines the sadistic exploits of lesser-known murderers whose crimes are just as terrifying and bizarre. Profiled in this 3 disc set are:Michael Bruce Ross (The Roadside Killer), Arthur Shawcross (The Monster of the Rivers), Catherine May Wood and Gwendolyn Graham (The Lethal Lovers), Douglas Clark (The Sunset Slayer), Harvey Louis Carginan (Harv the Hammer), Theodore Robert Bundy (The Ladykiller), William Heirens (The Lipstick Killer), Kenneth Allen McDuff (The Broomstick Killer), Kenneth Bianchi (The Hillside Strangler), Henry Lee Lucas (The Confession Killer), Ronald DeFeo, Jr. (The Amityville Horror), James A. Paul (The Executioner).

There aren't any consumer reviews for it yet, but if it has a wealth of stock TV footage (and not just a bunch of images), I'd say its a "must-have."
Old 10-19-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I can see both sides of the argument here. Documentaries on Serial Killers is not to everyones taste. But i guess you can say that about any type of movie or TV genre....you can't please all the people all the time.

I actually find watching programs on Serial Killers very interesting. I think that true crime is always good to read or watch. I would suggest for anyone that hasn't seen it to get a copy of "The Killing of America" which in my opinion is the best Serial Killer Documentary. It explores the human psyche and has lots of interviews with people like Howard Klemper, footage of Rev. Jim Jones and more. It explains why these people do what they do. The documentary is from the early 80s i believe, but it was more like a Michael Moore documentary than anything else. Looking at gun control in America and what is wrong with the country. I know that the film is still banned in America but i know that it was released in the UK a few years ago.
Old 10-19-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's plenty of serial killer sets out there I have two really, really good ones.

-A&E has one that's two disc, covering Profiling, Dahmer, Manson, and Gacy.
-CourtTV put one out on The Boston Strangler, Night Stalker, and Gacy again.
-Dark Sky films put one one to accompany Henry 20th Ann. Edition, that features like 20 thirty minute docs on Henry, Bundy, Lip Stick Killers, ect.

Those are the top three to get. While what I'm about to mention isn't the most thought-provoking films out there, you could get Bundy, Dahmer, Gein in a serial killer movie boxset for cheap, along with Gacy. Those could accompany Monster, The Boston Strangler, From Hell, and Hillside Stranglers nicely as you wait for Fincher's Zodiac in '06.

Contact me for anything else on serial killers.

PS
Avoid the direct-to-video films of Starkweather and Zodiac Killer-they're crap.
Old 10-19-05, 12:18 PM

Didn't Brian Dennehy play Gacy once? I think it was a made for TV if I am not mistaken.
Old 10-19-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't mind if Michael Moore ran into a couple of serial killers.
Old 10-19-05, 02:42 PM

That's nice. I like to wish death on people that disagree with me too. High five.
Old 10-19-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are there any DVDs out there that include any of the crazy Charles Manson interviews?
Old 10-19-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Are there any DVDs out there that include any of the crazy Charles Manson interviews?
Charles Manson Superstar (a Nikolas Schrek documentary)

The Manson Family (Unrated SE) (there's a 10-minute extra)
Old 10-19-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about Geraldo Rivera's interview(s) with him? I remember watching that in psychology class in high school.
Old 10-19-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
My receiver came from the Good Guys store in Sacramento where a gang once took everyone in the store hostage and shot several of them on live TV.
Old 10-19-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how the footage/interviews of Ronald DeFeo Jr (The Amityville Horror) are. Hopefully they included NY news footage from the time they covered the murders the day after.
Old 10-21-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
I second the recommendation of The Killing of America. Not about serial killers per se, but it deals with various violent incidents from the seventies/early-eighties, many of which are arcane. Too bad it's not out on DVD yet.
As for Bundy, trial excerpts have been fairly widely shown. I particularly remember the judge's closing statement, in which he poignantly (though rather inappropriately, in retrospect) lamented the fact that Bundy (who argued his own case) was not a peer of his instead of a condemned serial killer. It was heartfelt, but distasteful.
"The Serial Killers" - Editorial Reviews

Product Description:
The Serial Killers is a fascinating and shocking documentary of the most notorious murderers of our time. Infamous serial killers such as Kenneth Bianchi, Ted Bundy and Henry Lee Lucas give chilling first-hand accounts of their brutal crimes. The program also examines the sadistic exploits of lesser-known murderers whose crimes are just as terrifying and bizarre. Profiled in this 3 disc set are:Michael Bruce Ross (The Roadside Killer), Arthur Shawcross (The Monster of the Rivers), Catherine May Wood and Gwendolyn Graham (The Lethal Lovers), Douglas Clark (The Sunset Slayer), Harvey Louis Carginan (Harv the Hammer), Theodore Robert Bundy (The Ladykiller), William Heirens (The Lipstick Killer), Kenneth Allen McDuff (The Broomstick Killer), Kenneth Bianchi (The Hillside Strangler), Henry Lee Lucas (The Confession Killer), Ronald DeFeo, Jr. (The Amityville Horror), James A. Paul (The Executioner).
I'll be looking into this. There are enough seldom-profiled people on here to warrant consideration, although I have seen enough about Dahmer, Gacy, Bundy, Hillside, Lucas, Shawcross, Berkowitz, Green River, McDuff, DeFeo, Gein, et al.
Wouldn't mind seeing an in-depth report about someone like Dean Corll.
Old 10-21-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DeFeo wasn't really a serial killer, but a mass murderer because he only killed six members of his family, not the whole neighborhood of Amityville. But I'm still glad he's featured on here.
Old 11-07-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Well, it seems this came out not too long ago. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...s=dvd&v=glance

"The Serial Killers"

There aren't any consumer reviews for it yet, but if it has a wealth of stock TV footage (and not just a bunch of images), I'd say its a "must-have."
This sucks. The first one I watched, about DeFeo (Amityville Horror killer), was loaded with inaccurate information - mostly from the killer himself - which the filmmaker didn't bother to correct (DeFeo said that after he killed everyone, he was so disturbed that he ran right out to the bar for help. In reality, he took a shower and went to work. He didn't report the murders until the next night).

That's my first gripe with just the DeFeo segment. The second gripe with the same segment: no news footage!! Just an older DeFeo telling more lies, and one dumb picture of the house. Infamous Murders from The History Channel, I believe, had a nice reel of news footage covering the night the bodies were discovered.

Now I'm not sure if I should bother watching the rest. I'm tempted to just throw the whole set away.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 11-07-05 at 01:14 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.