Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Classic Twilight Zone Season 1 on Dec 28!!!!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Classic Twilight Zone Season 1 on Dec 28!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Hopefully Best Buy will have them both for reasonable prices. I have $308 on a giftcard, I'll be able to buy them, but hope they're not extremely too expensive. Find out Tuesday!
Old 12-27-04, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ras,that is cool and amazing news on the features!

I don't know if I'd ever get to them or not. But I guess it would be nice to know that they are there,for when I do get the urge?

A shame on the captions though. I have two image releases which do offer subtitles(original Dances with Wolves and They Live releases). Yet then I have a few that do not,like the new Assault on Precinct 13 release.

So now since I mostly care about the episodes and less about the features. Too buy the current box sets,or wait for all the season sets?

But it still is dissapointing about the lack of any captions. Since my girlfriend won't be able to enjoy them then.
Old 12-27-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
So, what B&M will have the lowest price on this set?
CostCo?
Old 12-27-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
them or sams...no one is doing a big sale this week
Old 12-27-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was just wondering if CostCo will even carry it - it's not on their web-site - but not everything they carry is, especially dvds.
Old 12-27-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody checkin' out the thread in the Bargains section? The set can be had for under $70 at coconuts.com.
Old 12-27-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and that sucks about the captions. I'm hard of hearing, and it really chafes my ass to no end when subs or captions are not included. A&E is the fucking worst! Has anyone else tried to watch the Honor Blackmon episodes of The Avengers? The audio is so bad in the first place as to be unintelligible to the normal ear, but to the hard of hearing, it's just a downright kick in the teeth. I've watched maybe 6 episodes, and have been able to grasp less than half of the dialogue. It's just wrong.

I still ordered set 1 of TZ though, but still, they should have included the captions.
Old 12-28-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the CostCo I checked doesn't carry it (and they have a pretty good dvd selection).

Now off to check Fry's - if that's a wash, I try the deal at coconuts, but I'd really like to have this today.
Old 12-28-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Buy broke street date, I saw this available last week before Christmas.
IIRC, it was going for $106, so I passed.
Old 12-28-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

didn't see these up yet...good to have them all in one place anyhow... the release dates for the rest of the year...

Twilight Zone, The - The Definitive Edition - Season 2 (1960-1961)
March 29 2005

Twilight Zone, The - The Definitive Edition - Season 3 (1961-1962)
June 28 2005

Twilight Zone, The - The Definitive Edition - Season 4 (1963)
october 18 2005

Twilight Zone, The - The Definitive Edition - Season 5 (1963-1964)
December 27 2005
Old 12-28-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mutley Hyde
Anybody checkin' out the thread in the Bargains section? The set can be had for under $70 at coconuts.com.
Further, if you use the promotion code "FIRSTPURCHASE" in checkout, you get an additional 10% off. I'm not sure if that code is good for new accounts only, but if it is, it shouldn't be too hard to just make a new Hotmail account or something to save the extra cash. Check out the bargain thread for further info.

Last edited by Corvin; 12-28-04 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by rasalas
Finally, the set includes the best liner notes ever included with a DVD: The complete "The Twilight Zone Companion," by Marc Scott Zicree, among the most definitive compendiums for any TV show ever created. The book has been resized to fit in with the set, but is otherwise unabridged. That's an incredible extra. Zicree provided the source material for some of the extras, such as the audio interviews.
Did I understand you correctly that this is the full-sized book that describes each episode ever released along with the episode # and title, date aired, and a short synopsis about the episode? Except the book is DVD case size?

If so, this seals the deal for me!
Old 12-29-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Centurion
Did I understand you correctly that this is the full-sized book that describes each episode ever released along with the episode # and title, date aired, and a short synopsis about the episode? Except the book is DVD case size?

Yes it is! Best dvd "insert" ever.
Old 12-29-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Centurion

When I saw it in the store, it looked like the same "Twilight Zone Companion" paperback book that I've had since I was a kid. Maybe it's a new printing of it, or a slightly different size or something (hard to tell since I only saw it in the sealed packaging), but it looked the same. It's a very good book -- probably the best companion book to a television series that I've come across.
Old 12-29-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To reiterate what I previously posted:

The Twilight Zone Companion included with the DVD is identical to the version sold separately in stores. It is the Second Edition of the book, the one that was published in 1989, which is the last time it was updated. The ONLY difference in this version of the book is that it has physically been reduced in size to fit in the DVD box.

TV Shows on DVD.com reported that this was an updated, third edition of the book, but that is not true. There is no such thing. The Second Edition is the most recent version of the book.
Old 12-29-04, 06:53 PM

I just got it for $63!!!

Well free, if you count it was bought with a gift card. I went to Media Play today to get rid of said card. Note: Media Play is not the best place to buy anything other than used dvds. And even then... Anyway, I'm looking through the boxsets and notice they got the new Twilight Zone sets in. So I pick one up to see what the price was, and lo and behold, it was $62.99!! I looked at them all, and they were all four this same price. It appears that they mixed up the tags for the 80s sets with the new first season sets. So I got it with no problem, and it's is SWEET! Nearly every episode has one or more audio extra of the following:

Commentary
Isolated score
Radio show version of the episode
Serling lecture
Interview with one of the stars

And the episodes look great too. On top of that, the box is really a covering for the book and another box that houses the dvds. So that solved the problem I was thinking it would be to have the book and dvds on my shelf. After watching the first episode, there's no going back for this fan. I'm getting them all. Hopefully for this same price. I'm glad I didn't order it online now.
Old 12-29-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

which media play
Old 12-29-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Wow! I got my TZ from Coconuts.com the day after they shipped it out. And with Media Mail too! Very surprised that it would arrive so soon.

I'm so happy that the Twilight Zone Companion was included with this release. I have the First Edition from WAY BACK and the pages are literally falling out (I read that thing to death). I always intended to pick up the Second Edition and now I don't have to.

Kudos Image!

Andrew
Old 12-30-04, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by rasalas
To reiterate what I previously posted:

The Twilight Zone Companion included with the DVD is identical to the version sold separately in stores. It is the Second Edition of the book, the one that was published in 1989, which is the last time it was updated. The ONLY difference in this version of the book is that it has physically been reduced in size to fit in the DVD box.

TV Shows on DVD.com reported that this was an updated, third edition of the book, but that is not true. There is no such thing. The Second Edition is the most recent version of the book.
Nice!
This one is sooo mine.