Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about the fifth discs in the LOTR gift sets...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-29-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I posted this last night, but it seems to have disappeared. So if anyone answered this question already, I apologize, but I never saw it.

I was wondering if anyone could list the contents of the bonus discs in the LOTR sets:

1.) National Geographic Special
2.) Gollum
3.) Lordof the Rings Symphony

Obviously the titles tell me what they are about, but I was wondering if each disc is one long documentary, several shorts, or what. And about how long each one is. I'm thinking of picking them up on ebay if they seem worthwhile, but I haven't been able to find a description of their contents.
Old 12-29-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1) The National Geographic special is in many ways a typical hour long NG special, this time with some very loose tie-ins to Tolkein-ish themes... There are 4 or 5 segments, each in a different part of the world, highlighting some animal, islolated culture, or some such. The connection to LOTR is there, but at heart it's a nature documentary of unrelated material. Interestingly, a second NG special was made for Return of the King, but it's included in the Theatrical version's extras rather than an additional disc.

2) The Gollum DVD--even though it comes in a pretty case, is pretty useless. It's one featurette--of the same kind you'll find on the 3rd and 4th discs of each EE--and not a very long one. It's not about Tolkein's Gollum or Andy Serkis's performance--it's about making the Gollum statuette for the gift set, and a bit about WETA's toy/souvenir division as a whole. It might have been fine on the 3rd or 4th disc, but underwhelming by its own.

3) The Symphony disc looks like it might have been an hour-long Bravo special. Whether it was ever shown on TV, I don't know. It's around 50 minutes or so, going by memory...

Now if it was the complete Symphony--with all the talking and documentary stuff as extras--it would have been amazing. As is, it's still pretty good. You hear lots of the Symphony. Howard Shore comes across as kinda boring, but the performers and musicians, and the music itself, carry the day. I'm hoping they release the whole thing someday, either CD or hopefully DVD, but it looks like it's live performances only for now...

Last edited by adamblast; 12-29-04 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So basically the only one that really has to do with the movies is the Symphony one from ROTK, the others seem to be just fluff stuff, at least the Gollum one and the NG one is loosely related world geographical stuff.
Old 12-29-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Howard Shore has talked about releasing the full trilogy score, on about 9 CDs or so, and hopefully that will include a DVD of the symphony. I saw the symphony at the Hollywood Bowl and it was great, but I hope for the DVD they are able to incorporate footage from the movies as well as the sketches and designs they had at the performance.
Old 12-30-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Adamblast, thanks very much for the information. Based on what you wrote, I don't think I really want to own any of these extra discs.
Old 12-30-04, 03:52 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Howard Shore has talked about releasing the full trilogy score, on about 9 CDs or so, and hopefully that will include a DVD of the symphony. I saw the symphony at the Hollywood Bowl and it was great, but I hope for the DVD they are able to incorporate footage from the movies as well as the sketches and designs they had at the performance.
9 CD or so. It's gonna be pretty expensive